Special Hobby Fairey Firefly AS.7

Christer A

I just ran across this little thing over the weekend while running around in a modelling contest here in Gothenburg.

66FE9A98-EB70-4063-BCB7-BC082EF06C04_100

For some reason I was not able to get away from the store without buying one, so I kind of gave in and did so.

To my big surprise I found a complete lack of belts!

Not really what I was expecting from a Special Hobby kit but anyway.

I guess some suitable generic late mark RN/FAA belts would suffice?

Also, is there someone that has been crazy enough to build the AS7 variant and not just the more pretty earlier ones?

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 4

It's a gorgeous looking aircraft! Looks like @Ex-FAAWAFU and I are going to have to call the taste police again. I have the U8 variant of this kit and I think we are getting to the point where seatbelts would have been blue.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Sorry, Martian, but you’re on your own with this one.  The Firefly is a beautiful aircraft, but the bulged fat-boy-Observer canopy and that gaping basking shark mouth make the Mk7 hard to lovel

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I'm with Martian, for some reason I really like the AS.7, great looking thing, not as sweet as the AS.5.  You can see it morphing into the Gannet.

Same can be said of the Barracuda, I find the very last Mks to be better looking than earlier variants.

This is a kit I've always wanted to do, not least because they were based at nearby St Merryn and Culdrose, but haven't one cheap enough yet.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

In my eyes the Mk1 looks like a brutal beast, the TT.1 like it's "troubled" cousin from some rural area, the Mk 4-5-6 is the sleek and good looking one and then it sort of slides slowly towards the crazy side with AS.7.

Anyway, since the kit lacks belt I was trying to find something to use, but nicking some belts from Eduards Trumpeter  F.mk1  and painting them blue will sort of work, except for one observer who will be a bit more loosely connected to the cockpit...

Also, painting pre-painted belts feels wrong somehow 😕

I'm open for suggestions!

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The Firefly is a beautiful aircraft, but the bulged fat-boy-Observer canopy and that gaping basking shark mouth make the Mk7 hard to lovel

Wow, a FAA aircraft thats hard to love, am I glad I didn't say that! 🤣

Terry

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Can they not be made up using wine bottle foil and then painted?

Off course they can, especially by someone with skills which means someone else but me 😎

I was looking at the easy way out with etched belts...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

Just that Mk.  The Firefly in general (especially the 4/5) was a gorgeous aircraft.  Then someone stuck that monstrous rear cockpit lump on it.

See also the AEW Sea King.  Very useful and all that, but not even my Bagger friends tried to claim it was beautiful!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Then someone stuck that monstrous rear cockpit lump on it.

To be honest I have to agree. Not so much ugly, more like just not right at all. All out of proportion. But yes, the Firefly in general is quite a looker, speaking as a casual observer. (I think there some sort of pun in that last statement!)

This thread has now got me googling on 1/72 Firefly offerings ............. I'm so easily distracted!

Terry

• Like 2

I was just thinking how I would love to see this scaled down to 1/72nd scale. I'd buy it in a second. And the AS.6. And the U.8. I like all the Firefly variants, including the rather 'special-looking' later variants such as the AS.7.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Then someone stuck that monstrous rear cockpit lump on it.

About that canopy. 

The reasoning behind developing the Firefly AS.7 was to quickly provide the Navy with anti-submarine cover because of delays in getting the Gannet into full production and delivery.

The Gannet (Type Q) at that early stage was being trialed with different layouts to give the Observer the best position in the aircraft to help him do his task. One of these was a large clear canopy near the aft end (with 2 seats to allow for facing most desirable way). 

Both a Type Q, VR546, and a Firefly were tested with solid aerodynamic versions of this canopy, the final clear version found its way into production on the Firefly 7, and as a one off on Gannet WE488.

As it happened, their Lordships also ordered Avengers to fill the AS gap and that proved the better type for the role, with weapons bay, and radar pod.  This rendered the Firefly 7 more suited as a role trainer.

For the observer that large canopy must have been better than looking out through multi panes of perspex, especially in the secondary SAR role.

I do like the Shackleton type annular chin radiator, clean wings without radiator inlets, and that larger fin.

My simplistic comparison is that the MkIV-VI were the sports cars, the Mk7 the delivery van.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Christer A said:

Off course they can, especially by someone with skills which means someone else but me 😎

I was looking at the easy way out with etched belts...

I haven't got great skills at all, and admire anyone that works etch. 

I probably have a too simplistic approach to belts and there are far better people on here than I, but I just cut wine bottle foil into strips and then paint, then adding small unpainted bits of foil to replicate buckles etc.

Bottle foil is ideal as it molds to seats and pilots without jumping out of shape.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Sorry, Martian, but you’re on your own with this one.  The Firefly is a beautiful aircraft, but the bulged fat-boy-Observer canopy and that gaping basking shark mouth make the Mk7 hard to lovel

Et tu Brute? 🤯

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

I'm with Martian, for some reason I really like the AS.7, great looking thing, not as sweet as the AS.5.  You can see it morphing into the Gannet.

Same can be said of the Barracuda, I find the very last Mks to be better looking than earlier variants.

This is a kit I've always wanted to do, not least because they were based at nearby St Merryn and Culdrose, but haven't one cheap enough yet.

Sensible fellow!

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

We would have had to shoot you if you had! :shoot:

Martian the liberal mined 👽

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Terry

And here's me thinking it was the leaking, unreliable looks like it was drawn by a ten year old ill mannered poorly laid out hard to maintain or actually get to anything that needs regular servicing without crossing a mine field

of pointy sharp things after you get the most totally daft panel fasteners that were thought up by a complete sadist complete swine of an aeroplane thats nearly impossible to get into without the dexterity of a mountain goat probably

safer to stop on the ground anyway as the thing will probably turn itself off and deposit bits of itself and you or bits of you it some farmers field and a only claim to fame of being right quick if it'll keep running and oh wow look I shot

down some North Korean chap who was probably not paying attention and playing with his phone stinkin Sea Fury!

• Haha 7

No ship mates, just my opinions formed from my times working on them.

Did I mention that I worked on Sea Furies?

And Skyhawks, Sea Venoms Macchis Wessex Fireflies aTracker, C-47s Tiggies and a few others.

Wasn't sure if I'd noted that previously.

😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/11/2019 at 8:09 AM, Edge said:

I wish Special Hobby would downscale this to 1/72? Pretty please?

Edge

Me too.  I really like both the Firefly and support aircraft so would definitely have one in the 'proper' scale. 

• Like 3