This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Whofan

Airfix magazine late?

The latest airfix magazine hasn’t shown up here - west of Birmingham - are we just having a local delay or is it nationwide?

Hi,

WH Smiths in Woodbridge, Suffolk had copies yesterday.

It was due at my newsagent on Thursday 5th September but didn't arrive until Saturday 7th.

I remember the original Airfix Magazine going bad. Back in the eighties. I wrote to them without reply when I felt things weren't right. Ray Rimell was the editor. Great modeller. But the articles had really declined. There was an article every month where readers models were featured. But it was blatantly obvious that they were his models. He was a very neat modeller. 

To be fair a letter was published criticising the way things were even if it was refuted by the editor. Wrongly in my opinion. 

Soon after the magazine stopped publishing. 

I note that the new Airfix magazine has vanished from my mainstream book and magazine shop. A chain, so it means it is gone from them all. 

Wall, writing and all that. 

My subs copy arrived last week.  

Being dropped from a local branch of a national chain often means the manager has decided (reported) there is insufficient local demand.  The three local WHS have quite different variety of modelling mags for various genres at the bleeding edge (AMW is at all though).

7 hours ago, noelh said:

.....Wall, writing and all that. 

Don't think it will be that Noel.

Has to be remembered that the original Airfix magazine was overseen by the company, in the second incarnation it was licensed as the current publication is, but the current license holder is Key publications who are responsible for quite a few aviation and modelling titles. If the 'Wall' comes into play there's going to be some large gaps on the shelves.

I got my copy at WH Smiths in Heathrow Terminal 5 on Saturday.

Both W H Smith and Tesco here (Kidderminster) stock it, they didn't have it by Saturday, and W H Smith in Merry Hill didn't have it in Sunday, so it looks like a local distribution problem which may be resolved when I look today.

Got my subscription copy Tuesday last week, well in advance of the on sale date. Local smiths had it on sale as well from the Thursday. Been on holiday since, and all the smiths that I've been in round Dorset have it on sale. 

So may be localised problems with distribution. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I got my copy at WH Smiths in Heathrow Terminal 5 on Saturday.

I will be at T5 on Thursday, hope they have some still there.

Regards

Robert

Distribution problem ?  Must be practicing for if/when everything gets held up at the border !    :)

32 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Distribution problem ?  Must be practicing for if/when everything gets held up at the border !    :)

That'll be the London Border with the rest of the country, then ??;)

My local McCalls in the village (Rothwell, Leeds) had AMW on Friday. I think it may be a distribution hiccup as SAM can be all over the place. 

AMW wasn't in the newsagents I use in Peterborough on its allotted date for the last two months.

First time I hadn't realised and sleepily purchased the previous month's issue.

IanJ

17 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

AMW wasn't in the newsagents I use in Peterborough on its allotted date for the last two months.

First time I hadn't realised and sleepily purchased the previous month's issue.

IanJ

Don't you just hate doing that?

Done it myself with CDs and books, as well as modelling magazines.

Any, all's well that ends well, as I picked up AMW (the right month!) This morning.