Handley Page Halifax III April 1945 Airfix 1/72

22 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

This was built for the 158 Squadron Association the artwork was unofficial anyway.....

Hi VV, well done on this- it’s a stunning build. 

My grandfather was skipper on Mk3s in 158sqn in Lissett in ‘44. He survived the war and shared many a story with me that he didn’t even share with my grandmother or anyone else. I believe he did this simply because he saw my passion for aviation at a young age. 

To this day day my most prized possession is his log book. I damn near have it memorized haha. 

I’m about to start a Halifax build of my own. I want to depict his plane “Q” from 158sqn, summer 44. This summer I made an attempt at Revell’s 1/72 but I wasn’t satisfied with the end result and I scrapped it. 

I’ve now purchased FM’s 1/48 on eBay (I won’t tell you what I paid- it’s embarrassingly expensive). I’m getting ready to build and I hope to get it in a display case with the log book sometime soon. 

I have so many research questions. For example, I don’t believe 158sqn had the stripes on the vertical stabs in 44, I think they came later in 45? I have a few of these questions and I wonder if there’s anyone willing and able to help me out? If you could share a contact that would be great. Or maybe you know this stuff? I’ve purchased 2 books already and have spent countless hrs on the internet. I’m not trying to take the easy road with the research, I’m just running into dead ends is all. 

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post - as you can probably see it means a great deal to me. I was very close to him before he passed when I was 14 and he’s still my hero to this day :)

In the event you don’t have time to respond to me, I just want to say what a wonderful build and thanks for sharing. 

• Like 2

Hi Robert, 

Thank you for the kind words about the diorama.  I'd love to hear more about your father and would be happy to help with any details that I can.  PM me and I will see what I can find.

I think that you are correct about the tail markings.  The pictorial record shows that 4 Group's tail markings first appeared in late summer 1944 and weren't on all squadrons at that time.  For 158 Sq the first recorded markings are in the autumn where it is a solid block of, probably, yellow with the rudder surface still black.  The stripes appeared late autumn/early winter.  There have been several articles in magazines and sections of books covering the tactical markings and they all refer back (eventually) to one original piece in Air Pictorial in January 1955 which states that they were first applied late spring 1944 before D Day.  No one has yet come up with a copy of the supposed Group order or anything at squadron or base level and the photographic record doesn't support it either.  Happy to be proved wrong, but as it stands I simply don't believe that they were introduced that early.  I have seen mention in 4 Group papers of Gee Leader Lancasters' markings being mentioned for identification during daylight raids but nothing at that time for the Halifaxes.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Hi Robert, 

Thank you for the kind words about the diorama.  I'd love to hear more about your father and would be happy to help with any details that I can.  PM me and I will see what I can..

That’s great- many thanks!! I will pm you once I get going. I very much appreciate your response and willingness to help. Cheers :)

28 minutes ago, Mark4700 said:

Fantastic build and diorama looks very interesting. A lot of work put into that and it shows. Brilliant. 

Thank you very much Mark, most kind.  Yes, a lot of work, lots of trial and error and a great learning experience for new techniques.

Excellent work! I Totally agree with your approach 'to convey the activity and effort needed to get just one bomber from a squadron in the air for an operation'.

Dioramas are all about telling a story, after all.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 3 years later...