Handley Page Halifax III April 1945 Airfix 1/72

This was built for the 158 Squadron Association and has been three long years in the making.  The kit that the aircraft is based on is the venerable Airfix Mk III in a 1970s boxing.  It is heavily modified with e.g. new engines (Aeroclub, thanks @John Aero!).  The internals are fully detailed and the bomb bay is scratch-built.   Can you see it all? Possibly with an endoscope. Still, I know it is there.  The vehicles are from the Airfix bomber re-supply set and the Refuelling Set, Trolley Acc is scratch built, figures from the RAF Personnel set but cast in resin and modified.  Others are Aires, CMK and bits and bobs from Dan Taylor. Big thanks to @Mancunian airman for decals for some of the vehicles and generally being a good egg, and also to @Mike Starmer for all of the brilliant information on the net and for sharing the knowledge.

The scene depicts LV917 "Clueless" (the intended subject of the original Airfix kit) being prepared for 4 Group's final operation of WWII a daylight raid against the coastal batteries on the Frisian Island of Wangerooge.  LV917 officially completed 99 Operations but a post war photo shows 100 on the nose.  Of course the official designation of an Op was not necessarily the same as that applied by the groundcrew and the artwork was unofficial anyway. There are some liberties due to artistic licence but the intention was to try and get as many trades and individuals active on the squadron into the scene as possible.

There's still some work to do on the diorama: an erk's bicycle to finish when I find some chain sprockets that are convincing (trip to the jewellers is planned) and something needs to happen around the back of the Matador but still searching for a suitable figure to use or convert there.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Vicarage Vee
  • Like 64
  • Thanks 3

Wow.. that’s turned out beautiful, the Halifax and all its surrounding equipment all look perfectly placed and painted. That internal work is something else, I hope you took plenty of photos. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kev67 said:

Lovely work and very well detailed, the only thing I noticed was the yellow undercarriage legs, as all the photos I have seen indicate they were black, but I might be wrong on this particular aircraft

Thank you for your kind comments Kev, much appreciated.

In 1944 158 Squadron started to identify flights by the markings on the gear legs:  A Flight all yellow (? they are grey in all of the b/w photos!), B Flight with two horizontal stripes and C Flight with one.

• Like 2

Thank you Howlindawg, most kind.

The overall size is about 60 cm x 65 cm, the dispersal is a bit undersize for scale but you have to start making accommodations somewhere!.  I had a custom made case prepared to assist with travel but also to deter the inevitable prodding and 'trying to spin the propellers'. It was made by a company called Widdowsons Very grateful plug and it is excellent.

Edited by Vicarage Vee

A wonderful job Sir,one remembers this kit from one's dim and distant past,if one remembers correctly,it was the

only game in town for a Hallybag until the Matchbox one came along in the late 70's.

Are all the vehicles and ground equipment included in the bomber re-supply set?

One remembers the Emergency,Recovery and Refueling Sets so one assumes the Re-supply is a new one?

Might one suggest though Sir,that one removes the Matador tanker?

An old family friend was an engine fitter on 5 Group Lancaster's,he always maintained the refueling was the last job

done before the aircraft went on an operation and that the aircraft and tanker were well earthed and that all

the refuel crew wore rubber boots and used brass hand tools.

The tank hoses also had brass fittings,such was deemed the risk for handling and pumping the volatile 150 octane

petrol that bombers where fueled with,hence it was the last job done,no other vehicles or personnel were allowed

in the vicinity whilst fueling up the aircraft.

• Like 3

Thank you for the kind comments Dave.

The intention of the diorama was to try to convey the activity and effort needed to get just one bomber from a squadron in the air for an operation as well as having a few other 'non-aircrew' in the picture, so a few liberties have been taken, the Matador isn't actually refuelling the aircraft in the scene.  Without wanting at all to disagree with your friend's recollection there does seem to be a fair bit of evidence that all of the activity was at times simultaneous, the photos below are some of those that show this (a fair few wellies evident, indeed):

large_000000.jpg

ef0b56aa7eeab23b602a962795e3ace6.jpg

Royal_Air_Force_Bomber_Command_1942-1945

Edited by Vicarage Vee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

A beautiful model of the somewhat overshadowed Halifax.  Looks like the old Airfix kit still holds up with a bit of work.  The internal detail is superb. Good to see 'those who also serve' being represented too.  Judging by their attire the ground crew are working on the aircraft during the summer.  Pity the poor chaps and chapesses during the winter.  Working away in a bleak, muddy, windswept field in Lincolnshire in the depths of winter couldn't have been much fun.

• Like 3

Many thanks Meatbox8.

I should have mentioned, the date was 25th April 1945, the weather wasn't too bad and they had had a spell of dry weather lasting about ten days up on the coast in the East Riding (saved me from having to try to depict puddles!)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kev67 said:

Lovely work and very well detailed, the only thing I noticed was the yellow undercarriage legs, as all the photos I have seen indicate they were black, but I might be wrong on this particular aircraft

It's an oddity,   but does seem to be the case, one of those things that has only recently been noticed. see here, and the links to the Hyperscale threads

@Vicarage Vee  that is a superb bit of work....very very impressive!

any thoughts on the coloured spinner bosses? 

• Like 1

Nicely done, and a great subject.

I live fairly close to 158's wartime home at Lissett, and I fly over/past it regularly. There seem go be quite a few huts remaining on part of the tech site (albeit on private land with no public access) and plenty of air raid shelters on the former domestic site near the A165, but the airfield itself is covered with big wind turbines. The memorial sculpture, though, is very impressive.

Jon

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

any thoughts on the coloured spinner bosses? 

Hi Troy,

Many thanks for your kind comments, and indeed everyone else's, it means a lot.

As to the coloured bosses, I just couldn't be sure.  I have looked at so many pictures of 158 Sq Mk IIIs and the only definitive picture where I can see a difference is that colour one of Friday the 13th in Oxford Street.  There are one or two black and white ones where there could be a difference - but in the end I played safe!

• Like 1