Hobbyboss 1/48 RAAF Hornet C

Antb

Hi folks, 

firstly, if this is a daft question then huge apologies. 

I went into the LMS yesterday and left with this kit, reviewed here by Mike on our very own. 

my brief research and this review throws up several issues with the kit, notably the Roos on the decals being the wrong way round on one side of the aircraft and on the underside, and the fact that it isn’t  a true C version. I’ve seen a few additions needing to be scratched such as the bird sliders on the nose. 

what is actually in the box, is it an A? I’ve seen suggestions it might be, but being no expert I don’t really know.  If it is I’ll scrap the decals and pick up something else to build a suitable version. I’m no rivet counter but with decals facing the wrong way, even I can’t let that slide. 

Again, I’m sorry for the daft question if it is one. 

No daft questions here, it is unfortunate that these models companies can't do a little research and actually use a kit from their range for that represents an in service aircraft type and get the basic markings options correct.

It is a C in the box, the main visual difference between the base A and C is the different number of fairings on the vertical stabs, the A has one less. You need to removed the second one down from the top of the tail (not hard - a few swipes of a file will remove them). The A also does not have some of the ECM/ESM lumps around the nose.

Here is a link to modifying a Hasegawa C to an A. It covers things like the nose gear launch bar and reinforcing patches to the vertical stabs and gives a general idea about the differences between the 2 models. You can use it as a ref to modifying the Hobby Boss kit.

The decals will be an issue, both schemes have botched the direction on the roos, A21-26 has one wrong facing roo in the small '20' that goes on the right side of the nose, A3-35 has multiple (tail, wings and fuselage), there are a few aftermarket sheets around, I believe Caracal in the USA is close to releasing a RAAF Hornet sheet in 1/48. All the roos should face in the direction of flight and the wings ones have their feet towards the fuselage (except for A21-26 in the 25th anniversary scheme, the feet point away from the fuselage, they are correct in the kit)

Finally, depending on the era you are modelling a RAAF Hornet, things like the bird slicers and LEX fences will not be required (first 5 years of service), high vis roundels were the order of the day earlier and some aircraft still wear them. Fuselage and lower wing roundels these days are the upper fuselage grey colour though some 75SQN Hornets also wore black roundels. Even the squadron markings have changed over the years in style and colours. Check you refs if you want to build a particular jet, there are plenty of pictures out there of RAAF Hornets, Airliners. net is a good place to start with higher resolution images, ADF Serials has a gallery with all RAAF Hornets in their different schemes.

Hope this helps...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Antb said:

Absolutely fantastic, thank you ever so much! 

No problems Ant,

I should also mention that if you are doing a later aircraft and puting any sort of war load on it then the  AIM9 Sidewinders were phased out and replaced with ASRAAMs from 2004 and the AIM7 Sparrows were replaced with AMRAAMs from 2002.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

No problems Ant,

I should also mention that if you are doing a later aircraft and puting any sort of war load on it then the  AIM9 Sidewinders were phased out and replaced with ASRAAMs from 2004 and the AIM7 Sparrows were replaced with AMRAAMs from 2002.

That's really useful thanks again. 

Haven't decided which way to go just yet. Will probably keep it Australian just not in the box schemes... 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Evening Folks, 

Sorry to re-ignite an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one. 

Ive decided on the subject and the weapons loadout (finally) but was wanting to know whether any nose weight is required? Ive searched online, there are a couple of builds but nothing is mentioned either way and the instructions don't show anything either. I'm assuming that nothing is needed but I don't want a tail sitter so better safe than sorry. 

Cheers in advance 

9 hours ago, Seawinder said:

First off, all the apologies are really unwarranted.   😀

I just finished a Hasegawa F/A-18C. It most definitely did not need nose weight.

Thanks for the good news 🙂 

But if in any case you are unsure, because you might add resin exhausts, tailfins etc, you just might want to add a little ;)

But the long forward fuselage and aft rear wheels hardly make it necessary!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

But if in any case you are unsure, because you might add resin exhausts, tailfins etc, you just might want to add a little ;)

But the long forward fuselage and aft rear wheels hardly make it necessary!

No resin, just plastic parts, except for aftermarket weapons. 

I can crack on without worrying about being a tail sitter! 

Thanks for the comments