HMS Renown 1935 - 1/700 Tamiya

Vlad

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

That's a great way to achieve that effect in 1/700.  I wonder if it will work in larger scales?

That's not something I've done, but it might go up to 1/350. How good it looks depends to a large extent on the quality and finesse of the scribed planking on the kit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a longer break between updates, I haven't spent quite as much time as I would have liked working on this. I also pig-headedly pressed on with a badly misbehaving (close to running out) pot of light grey, so it took multiple coats to get an acceptable appearance, and still not great in places.

I'm including a close-up of the turrets, without the WIP compliation, mainly to share how I do blast bags. The turrets themselves are unmodified apart from scraping off the 20mm positions and drilling the barrels. Personally, I think the turrets in this Tamiya Repulse kit are the best OOB Royal Navy 15" twins you can get, and I'm a big fan of the finely molded on blast bags.

The blast bags are first painted white, then heavily dry-brushed with the same oak colour I use for the decks. Finally, some of the larger folds get a pencil line in them.

spacer.png

Despite the struggles I did get around to finishing the majority of the painting. I'm leaving this one fairly clean, though there is an almost imperceptible dry-brush of an even lighter grey than the base coat just to make corners and edges stand out a bit. I usually try to avoid ploughing ahead, completing and gluing major assemblies like this, because the ship looks finished and it's hard to motivate to then do all the tedious small parts that remain (boats, searchlights, smaller weapons etc.). I'll try to slog through these quite quickly, should be finished in a week, max two.

spacer.png

• Like 10

Funny how a week or two turns into a few days when you put your mind to it. I declare this build complete. I'll do a RFI post separately after I've had time to take some proper overall pictures. Than you all for following and your support!

For now, here's a last mini-update. Unfortunately I didn't have an appropriate photo-etched catapult so I made one from plastic spares (mountains of IJN equipment sets are good for something it seems), but I feel with the dark-light painting and the fact it's buried amidships it looks pretty good in place. I did however rescue an appropriate aircraft crane from the spares box, as well as some lovely 3D printed octuple pom-poms. I used a bit of photo-etch, mostly for the boat cradles but also a few strategically placed ladders.

spacer.png

• Like 6