Earl's Colne B-17's

twp1

Hi all. Hoping someone can give me some info on the following B-17's. I'd like to model a B-17 that flew out of Earl's Colne. I have been referenced for individual aircraft but could use a little confirmation on mark and colours. Can anyone confirm ot deny my understand of these aircraft;

-B-17F's were the aircraft the units flew from Earl's Colne.

-these were olive drab over medium grey

-the 94th bomb group colours on tail, vertical stabilizers etc was yellow

-the 94th had a white 'A' in a black square

-was the tail band, Chevron and coloured engine cowels used on OD/MG schemes. If so, were all squadrons tail band and Chevron red with the cowel in individual squadron colours?

If anyone has any comprehensive pictures of any aircraft relating to the above, that would be excellent. 

Thanks in advance 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 7:02 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

The 94th were only at Earl's Colne for a short time, then moved to Bury St Edmunds (Rougham) in an exchange with the 15th AFs B-26s. You will probably get more info looking in that direction.

The 94th were only at Earls Colne for a month between May and June 43, so a very short window of operating from Earls Colne. As far as the B-26s were concerned, they were assigned to the 8th Air Force at that time, transferring to the 9th AF in October 43. The 323rd moved into Earls Colne from Horham, and the 322nd moved from Rougham to Andrewsfield. 

I was involved with the Rebel Air Museum at Andrewsfield, then Earls Colne for many years. We had thousands of photos, but I don't recall any photos showing the 94th at Earls Colne. It was a long time ago now though. Best bet for colours would be to look at other groups at that time frame, and I'm guessing they would have all been F model Forts. It's a tricky one, if an Earls Colne specific B-17 is required, as the 94th didn't fly their first combat mission until the 13th of June 1943. Therefore their time at Earls Colne was more than likely solely training missions, so the Forts would have been devoid of mission markings and possibly quite a few might not have even been "christened" with names at that point. 

Might be worth dropping the tower museum at Rougham an email. I'm sure they would have more info on the period of the group's history.

Now if it's the 323rd Bomb group you wanted, that's a different story...and don't forget that the RAF were there too!

Steve

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 6:05 PM, twp1 said:

Hi all. Hoping someone can give me some info on the following B-17's. I'd like to model a B-17 that flew out of Earl's Colne. I have been referenced for individual aircraft but could use a little confirmation on mark and colours. Can anyone confirm ot deny my understand of these aircraft;

-B-17F's were the aircraft the units flew from Earl's Colne.

-these were olive drab over medium grey

-the 94th bomb group colours on tail, vertical stabilizers etc was yellow

-the 94th had a white 'A' in a black square

-was the tail band, Chevron and coloured engine cowels used on OD/MG schemes. If so, were all squadrons tail band and Chevron red with the cowel in individual squadron colours?

Most of the group and squadron identification markings that you mention were introuduced far later on, mostly on the G model B-17s. For an F model around the time that they were based at Earls Colne, then the colours and markings would be far more basic. At this point, the 94th had just arrived in the UK and were yet to fly their first combat mission, and were more than likely flying training missions whilst at Earls Colne before moving to Rougham. The photo below should be a useful guide....Olive Drab, with possibly Medium Green mottling and also with the possibility of red surrounds to the Stars and Bars (not sure on the exact month in 1943 when this was phased out but the photo below certainly looks as if they could be red). All of the colourful group and squadron markings were yet to be implemented and were first seen in 1944 with revisions and additions as late as 1945.

48749084443_dacdd072c8_z.jpg94th-in-flight

Steve

Edited by fightersweep