Grumman Gosling

Hi all

I would like to build this little beauty.  I will be building an FAA machine and would like to build it pretty much OOB.  I am still finishing my very much modified Blackburn Shark in the Frog Squad build, although it is very nearly finished so this will act as a place marker until I can start.

62aa8cbf-98ad-4a53-a2ea-61eada2c0283.jpg

b8be6dac-5287-4f2a-a76b-5c4846f13749.jpg

Resin parts cut from their Moulding plugs.  I damaged the back of one of the U/C bays and so have covered it with plasticard.  The rear cabin seat frames got damaged during cutting off and so I have sanded all but one off (needed the reference an will replace with brass rod, so much for OOB !!!

59929ff2-2c4a-4bb9-9eb2-47d768a5f813.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck to all doing builds

All the best
Chris

• Like 13

Hi Chris!

Welcome to the GB! Interesting machine and a good start, despite the slight damages to the resin parts.

Good luck!

Jaime

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Nice choice.

I too find removing little bits from rock-hard resin plugs is quite challenging .. 

13 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Chris!

Welcome to the GB! Interesting machine and a good start, despite the slight damages to the resin parts.

Good luck!

Jaime

Thanks guys. The damage was unfortunate but, it has given me the opportunity to make the seat frames which I wanted to have a go at so every cloud....Hopefully will be able to start this properly very soon.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, dnl42 said:

Nice!  Looking forward to this :popcorn:

Thanks dnl42 so am I !!!

I have made a start and now have something worth adding now I have finished my Blackburn Shark in the Frog GB.

Here we go

Undercarriage bays cut and added and the box section added above them, fuselage halves painted and windows installed and to be fair they only needed a small amount of fettling.  Klearcoated ready for a wash.

ad67fbd2-52a7-467f-890d-686b9d26f65a.jpg

Engine faces painted and washed and wings assembled .  I have added the cockpit seats and checked that they will fit inside okay.  Generally fit is very good on test fitting so far.

75d87681-d069-4fb7-9ddf-56869d2e662b.jpg

Engine fronts added to Nacelles.

3e3c9a5f-ae9f-4e9f-bebc-b3c30faedfdb.jpg

Nacelles mounted and tidied up.  Fit again was good and only a general clean up was needed and panel lines near any joints were deepened.  I do this as I brushpaint.

cb7c82b1-3ab9-4bd0-8a72-38abb1bfe2d4.jpg

I took the resin frames off the seats and started replacing with .45 brass rod (I use this when for handrails on the OO gauge Railway locomotive models I make. I use .28 wire on my N gauge loco detailing up jobs)

8ff8ee02-31c7-42b7-9d15-b7cea04b9838.jpg

The resin seat in its original state is to the left and with wire frames added on the cabin floor.

ab9f0bed-b734-4593-918b-2a36507f4eb9.jpg

I wasn't happy with the seats so cut off the front legs and reassembled the armrest frames.  I added some platicard to the underside to aid glueing and prevent any rattling loose when I do my test flights (with authentic engine noises) around the bedroom handling !!!

I will add the front frame legs later but have to add lap belts to the rear seats and paint them first then I can add the arm rests.  There is not much in the way of reference that I can find for the interior although one pic seems to show green seats and grey frames so I think I will go with that.  I am not sure about the cockpit seats so will leave them black and install full harneses.  This may not be correct however I cannot see anything other than modern/converted planes online.

13619296-2c16-4fae-84e3-a1f00ddfe95f.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Great work. Love the seats.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I am happier with them now I removed the front legs etc. Hopefully they will look good when painted, installed and with new front legs. .

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 6:43 AM, bigbadbadge said:

I added some platicard to the underside to aid glueing and prevent any rattling loose when I do my test flights (with authentic engine noises) around the bedroom handling !!!

Thinking ahead - the mark of a serious modeller! 🤣

Nice progress, fine work on those seats, tidy work of the wings & nacelles..

:pilot:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Thinking ahead - the mark of a serious modeller! 🤣

Nice progress, fine work on those seats, tidy work of the wings & nacelles..

:pilot:

Thanks , ah yes I do like to think ahead although rarely does it happen!!!

6 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great start and progress!

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you Jaime. More progress has since been made on the IP and the seats have started getting some paint. 

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Done some more work on the seats.  The seatbelts are masking tape and the arm rests are plasticard.

3a2768e2-a279-4a9a-853f-09a6f5d4f1bd.jpg

IP is as it comes in the kit with dials scratched in using a pin and klear painted in for dial glass

ff236d24-db1c-4eb5-a258-6ed6367bb125.jpg

29e4b76a-97a7-4de9-8b77-009ede45b252.jpg

4bdb3cad-fbd8-4054-8b14-e3ea4fa43d6a.jpg

The Seatbelts on the front seats are from an Eduard RAF WWII late set so I know it is most likely incorrect however it will have to do .  Since these photos I have oil washed the seats etc and cabin/cockpit walls and will drybrush later.  I have also added the steering column and rudder pedals . You also may notice that the seats in the rear cabin don't have front legs, I was thinking about adding them however thought that they won't be seen once the fuselage is joined together, so didn't bother.

4add9f3b-ebf9-4213-93d5-43bf17ba09be.jpg

Thanks for looking in

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 9

Hi all

Progress has been made on the Cabin and cockpit.

310d44af-e458-4b95-a591-fd92aa133ae7.jpg

94c1ddd3-5c1d-4174-9928-dd0f5a3d7e3e.jpg

Fuselage, wing and canopy glazing temporarily held in place , the fit is good but ...

edf8c884-dd09-44f1-8239-720cbb2ed801.jpg

There is some warping to the lower fuselage which was a bit of a so and so, but got there in the end and any gaps filled with CA and Talcum powder mix.  This has since been rubbed down and the panel lines and some detail on the lower hull needs to be reinstated.

200468b1-3408-4db7-8c92-30aa3fec0071.jpg

Can anybody please advise if the step on the bottom of the hull has a row of holes along its length like the Goose did ? I presume it would but am not certain.

Thanks for looking in.

All the best
Chris

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Good progress, even with the 'warpage'. Sorry can't help you with the holes.

Stuart

No worries thanks Stuart, the warped section was not too far out but was quite hard to persuade back into the correct shape.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 1

That's coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Can anybody please advise if the step on the bottom of the hull has a row of holes along its length like the Goose did ? I presume it would but am not certain.

It did according to the Paul Matt 3-views on this page. This Wikimedia photo confirms that; but others don't.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That's coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

It did according to the Paul Matt 3-views on this page. This Wikimedia photo confirms that; but others don't.

Thank you dnl42. That's fantastic I see nthem in the cross section on the plans and that photo shows them beautifully. Thank you for your help and sharing the info.

All the best

Chris

On 10/23/2019 at 7:10 PM, Greg Law said:

Good work going on here. You have me interested. 🙂

Thank you Greg, it's a cracking kit.

23 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work. The SH kit looks light years ahead of the old Airfix one. And you can reserve me a place in the corner seat!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, yes it is and it's going together well and is a lovely kit.  The seat is reserved for you. 

Since the last update I have reinstated the ridge around the front lower hull edge, added the vertical Tail plane and added the main wing., Just got to reinstate the panel lines on the top of rear fuselage. I will add photos soon.

All the best

Chris

Hello all

Done a bit more, thanks to @dnl42 for the link to the image and the plans, you have really helped me there.  Drainage holes cut into hell step.

f675e818-d699-47c6-b19c-140e1d8ad12e.jpg

610c726c-1f8f-49ab-b8ed-389cbf5a5009.jpg

One of the last views of the Cabin and AdrianMF's seat

bc4ee8ce-3e7f-47da-8ea0-43eede46a958.jpg

Small step or ridge around lower hull reinstated and vertical Tail plane added

3fba2ffd-caca-4182-ad6e-1a4f2d6ccf8d.jpg

Wahoo wing glued on, fit is very good with only minor fettling

360f1e80-ba67-4514-94c2-fa7618d48de4.jpg

I have glued together the windscreen sections but will look to see if I can add some controls above the windscreen first

Thanks for looking in

All the best

Chris

• Like 8

Looking good! :thumbsup:

38 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Small step or ridge around lower hull reinstated and vertical Tail plane added

Check for a spray rail for your subject. I built the Encore (nee Czech Model) 1/48 Goose and erroneously added a spray rail per their instructions. While common on current examples, I didn't find it on contemporaneous photos of military aircraft, including my specific aircraft.

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Looking good! :thumbsup:

Check for a spray rail for your subject. I built the Encore (nee Czech Model) 1/48 Goose and erroneously added a spray rail per their instructions. While common on current examples, I didn't find it on contemporaneous photos of military aircraft, including my specific aircraft.

Thanks dnl42.  There's no spray rail in the kit it was just detail that I obliterated when I was cleaning up the Hull.  I will have to rub it back a bit so it's not pronounced.  

How was the Goose to build? Would have liked one for an FAA machine, but they are very expensive now. Thanks again for your kind comments and very useful information.

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

All zipped and looking good.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart

Yes it is a great moment when the wing goes on . Shame you can't see the lovely interior details though!!!

All the best

Chris