N.A. F-100D Super Sabre, `Iron Bird`, 308 TFS, Tuy Hoa, Vietnam

Howdy All,

Took some pic`s of my latest completion whilst it was still sunny, so I hope you don`t mind if I inflict a few on you 🙂

R7xcCbv.jpg

My attempt at Trumpeters 1/48 F-100D kit

AKyp2fd.jpg

Finished in the markings of `Iron Bird` of the 308th TFS in Vietnam

9Y6xGJQ.jpg

Built almost completely from the box.....

M06VDol.jpg

Additions being: usual dodgy seat belts, rear view mirror, a few blade antenna and some Snake Eye bombs from a Hasegawa weapons kit

9tzQtWS.jpg

Made an effort to improve the look of the intake using brute force and extreme violence.......

4BtmRGR.jpg

....also shortened the main U/C legs and shimmed the tyres as I thought they looked too skinny

mxSawNu.jpg

Decals came from Caracal Models sheet: CD48128, F-100 Hun in Vietnam Part 2

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 70
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Beazer said:

Great bird.  How did you replicate the paint fading or paint damage from the heat?

1 minute ago, Beazer said:

Great bird.  How did you replicate the paint fading or paint damage from the heat?

Thanks Beazer, I painted the silver first, let it dry a couple of days, coated with Johnson`s Future/Klear. Then painted the camo` apart from a bit at the end. Then  rubbed patches off with a pencil eraser until the silver showed through and then dry/damp brushed various colours around until I thought it looked about right. 

Hope that makes sense.Cheers Russ

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Great job, and another great addition to your Vietnam collection! The heat treatment to the paint job is really good, looks very reallistic, intersting technique using an eraser, I might have to try that myself!

Rich

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Very nice, the weathering is amazing. What is the Trumpeter kit like?... I was thinking of getting one of these beasts myself.

gazza l

Thanks Gazza,

I think the kit`s pretty good, not too expensive and fits together well. It`s got a few bits that need correcting ( see what I did in my post )  and a few more I didn`t bother with. You can`t pose the canopy open straight out of the box though ( which I forgot to mention ) but it`s not a difficult fix.

Hope this helps, cheers Russ

• Thanks 1

Cool model Russ , especially like the weathering at the rear end and as usual , top photos to match it . I like how you always display your models with a base and indeed has inspired me to craft a few as well .

• Thanks 1

Very realistic Hun! I can only echo what all the others have said about what you have done with the kit. Must have been some really serious brute force to bend that flat-bottomed intake into the right shape, I am impressed!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Excellent build - the rear fuselage area is one of the best depictions I have ever seen.

"Iron Bird" was an intricate nose art that took me a long time to replicate accuratelly - very glad to finally see a model built using this option!

Edited by CaracalModels
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1