1/32 Eduard BF109-E4- A change of pace

Antb

Sorry as I said about the exhaust I should have said if you use tape across both wing tips you will get the right dihedral and rid of the gap. The kit is good so if you have set the wings that way they will be too flat, sorry again for not mentioning but did not think. Look up Brett Greens build and you will see what I mean 

Edited by Joel Abery
Add more to comment

5 hours ago, Joel Abery said:

Sorry as I said about the exhaust I should have said if you use tape across both wing tips you will get the right dihedral and rid of the gap.

Really? I've never heard of that before. Seems a bit of an odd thing to do. 

Thanks for the tips although it's a bit late for the wings now 😀

Late to the party, but it should look brilliant when it’s done! I always love building/painting larger scale engines... the first one I did was the 1/28 aifix spitfire... absolute joy. Yours should look amazing, but it seems to be taking quite a bit of effort, :lol:

• Thanks 1

@Joel Abery sorry haven't replied sooner, been busy with work, family life and birthdays. 

Thanks for the links to the build mate, I read the article differently and not convinced that gap is there for the wing dihidrel at all. Let me explain. 

The wheel wells and wings were assembled per instructions. When set, the wings were offered to the fuselage. The fit was tight, especially at the front and rear lower joins, but a tight fit was eventually obtained after a few minutes fiddling. The dihedral looked pretty good but I took out insurance in the form of Tamiya tape stretched from wing tip to wing tip.

note the "fit was tight" and the "dihedral looked pretty good but took out insurance". 

This doesn't suggest that the gap at the wing root was there to allow for the wing dihedral. If it was im sure it would have been mentioned and I therefore suspect it's just a poor fit. 

Tip for the exhausts noted. 

On 19/09/2019 at 15:02, DalekCheese said:

Late to the party, but it should look brilliant when it’s done! I always love building/painting larger scale engines... the first one I did was the 1/28 aifix spitfire... absolute joy. Yours should look amazing, but it seems to be taking quite a bit of effort, :lol:

Thanks mate. Trying my best to get it looking decent. 

Speaking of birthdays here what my good lady and the kids bought me. I'm extremely happy as you can imagine 

20190921-111335.jpg

20190921-111343.jpg

Plus copious amounts of alcohol 

Anyway, progress on the Emil. Managed quite a bit last night and a bit more this morning. 

All seams were sorted, canopy popped on using white tack and were ready for paint on the main airframe. 

Masked up the front of the cockpit and behind the engine in preparation for primer. I was going to.prime using me surfacer and levelling thinners but couldn't be doing with the smell so decided to try something different. 

20190920-214051.jpg

Just to go back a stage. Canopy painted RLM02 first 

20190920-221001.jpg

Back to the primer. I was going to pre shade the airframe as haven't done it before but decided to go a stage further and try something really different and new to me. 

So, primed tamiya flat black. 

20190921-094202.jpg

20190921-094207.jpg

Not bad. Wheel wells got some 02 action too 

20190921-094221.jpg

Thinking about the build and the effect I wanted to achieve led me to this point. 109s during the battle of Britain period would have been worked hard and baked in the sun. So, let's try some fading of the paint work. How to do this, I'm thinking marble coat? 

So I have it a go just on the top surfaces. I'm not going to do the sides or underneath as I only want the fading on the top. Unless anyone thinks it's a bad idea? I'm open to suggestions. 

What do you reckon? First time ever and I'm super pleased. 

20190921-105909.jpg

20190921-105921.jpg

Grey first and then a touch of blue. 

20190921-111022.jpg

20190921-111028.jpg

Honest feedback appreciated. 

More this evening hopefully. 

• Like 7

you're correct about the flading being more pronounced on the top, I'd have thought there would be some on the sides and very little underneath however there would have been other types of wear and tear to the entire airframe.

nice job on the mottling 

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Edited by shortCummins
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps. 

@Thom216 you’re too kind 

no no photos as of yet, but added some white to the mottle and painted the underside of the nose white ready for the rlm04. Probably no more progress today but hoping to get something done tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Hi folks, 

Having thought about the marble on the sides of the fuselage it occurred to me that it could help with the overall mottle effect so got the airbrush out and gave the sides a marble (ish) coat. 

Just grey as only wanted a slight variation in the 65. 

20190922-141039.jpg

20190922-141048.jpg

And a quick snap of the underside of the engine. Sort of. 

20190922-142718.jpg

I've painted the rudder white too but my paint was too thin so is a kind of grey at the moment. See how it goes and maybe go over it again before the rlm04. 

Hopefully, this evening I'll start to get the 65 on. Slightly nervous about it to be honest don't want to make a mess of the pre shading and not see it. 

Fingers crossed. 

More later. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Antb said:

the 65 on. Slightly nervous about it to be honest don't want to make a mess of the pre shading and not see it. 

Just go for really light coats of paint and build up the color density on the RLM65 until your happy with it. Should look really good when its on. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just go for really light coats of paint and build up the color density on the RLM65 until your happy with it. Should look really good when its on. 

Thanks for the tip, really appreciated. 

I've been able to get a couple of coats of the 65 on tonight, I'm relatively happy but will see what it's like in daylight. 

I'd love some feedback from you guys to see how it looks? 

20190922-214711.jpg

20190922-214719.jpg

20190922-214735.jpg

One thing that has cheesed me off is the camouflage masks. The packaging and the masks themselves say they're for 32nd scale but look at this: 

20190922-175302.jpg

I reckon they're for 24th as the sheet shows this: 

20190922-175307.jpg

Airfix don't do a 32nd kit as far as I'm aware. 

So won't be using those. Ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Yeah my guess is you're correct. Airfix only do 1/24, 1/48, & 1/72 kits ? 

Where did you get it from ? Id point that out and get it exchanged for something that works, or your $€£ back ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yeah my guess is you're correct. Airfix only do 1/24, 1/48, & 1/72 kits ? 

Where did you get it from ? Id point that out and get it exchanged for something that works, or your $€£ back ? 

Dennis

Cheers Dennis. Got them from hannants a couple of weeks back. 

They're listed as 1/32 on their website so it's a bit disappointing. I might drop them a quick line and see where I stand. 

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. 

I've shot them an email asking if it's common or a known issue. See what's said. They were less than a fiver so not expensive. Shall see what happens. 

In other news I'm pleased with the look of the 65 in natural daylight but will be giving the fuselage sides another light pass this evening as it needs blending a touch. A good base for the mottle though. 

I'm looking forward to the mottle as this technique has given me confidence to crack on. 

Thanks for the continued interest, it helps enormously 

• Like 2

Quick update on the mask set. Hannants have confirmed the 2 they currently have in stock are also over scale so have emailed the manufacturer for replacements. 

Looks like a packing or production issue. 

It's being sorted which is great and hats off to hannants! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good job hannants i figured they would take care of you. 

I've had issues with bits missing etc before and they've been fantastic. I understand they're not always the cheapest for kits and the such but you don't mind paying the extra if things go wrong and they sort things no messing. 

Thing is, do I wait for a replacement or crack on? 🤷‍♂️