P-47 NMF panel map

Tempestwulf

Hey crew

Does anyone have a reference they could point me to, which shows which panels on a P-47 were different shades or types of metal? Eg Gun bay covers, supercharger outlet on lower fuselage, flap lower/upper surface?

I'm currently building a friend a 1/72 P-47M but have a few others to build myself in future. Other NMFs to build are more P-51's & a Special Hobby P-40N.

Much appreciated

Brad

Why not simply have a look at a series of good photos of a number of P-47s?  Obviously treat restored/warbirds examples with a degree of caution as many have been bulled-up to the eyeballs but a selection of in-Service photos should give you a “good average” for panel variations.

The only source that comes to mind is a painting diagram reference that Alclad published when their metal paints were introduced- it had four views of selected aircraft with a color code for the various skin panels. I don't recall if the P-47 was included, but remember seeing the P-51D, F-86F, P-38, among others. I don't have the guide, but somebody out there might have one and can check for you. That being said, the different variants of Thunderbolt  as well as the different assembly plants probably caused a fair amount of variation in the panels, as skins, panels, etc. most likely came from different suppliers. I have attached a link to an excellent article by noted modeler and hobby shop owner Bob King, from Austin, TX. His bare metal models were always incredibly well done, and was one of the nicest and most down to earth modelers you could hope to meet. I hope the link will be useful to you and others.

Mike

http://www.austinsms.org/Alclad-Lacquer-Metal-Finishes.php

• Thanks 1

The map is  quite easy with P-47. The panels with exhaust on the nose, the cover of the exhaust channel to the turbine and turbine cover and area were stainless steel. The rest - alclad. By definition aclad is the same colour everywhere, but the NMF surface differences we see come from other reasons. The direction of machining process, the different methods of giving shape to the panels, even the shape itself make the light reflections produce different effect in our eyes. It would be a rule of a thumb that heavily shaped 3D panels should have looked different then flat ones. The problem is this effect would differ depending on the position of light source and observer. Presenting that using colours needs a lot of 'good feeling' and delicacy, supposing it is possible at all.

• Like 2