QUIET Compressor?

DerekMc

I've used a CO2 tank for years to power my airbrush. I like how quiet it is. My tank is showing its age and will need to pass inspection before it can be filled again. If it doesn't pass I will be in the market for either another tank or a compressor.  Which are the quiet quality compressors out there?  I'm familiar with several but would love to see what you suggest. Size wise I'm looking for something that fits under my modelling bench. Extra credit if it's what you use! For reference my main airbrush is a H&S Infinity.

My current set up-  It will change shortly due to a change of rooms and room for a dedicated painting bench. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I've used a Silair 15e for almost 30 years. Made by Werther in Italy, it's been an ultra reliable workhorse and never let me down, ever. It's also practically silent at just 30db noise level. The air that comes from the airbrush is actually louder than the compressor itself. I've sprayed at 3am with people asleep in the next room with no problems..

I have a Iwata Jet Smart Pro, which at first I didn’t was particularly quiet. Then I realised that a lot of the noise was vibration. I built a small shelf and used rubber pads between the brackets and the wall and the compressor now sits on a thickish mat of rubber anti-slip stuff. It's more than halved the noise and as Steve says, the air out of the airbrush is now significantly louder than the compressor.

vETZCOg_6r84HlNa6JfwQKb6rhXb8DPV_OBHbOnd

On 9/7/2019 at 2:12 PM, Steve Noble said:

I've used a Silair 15e for almost 30 years. Made by Werther in Italy, it's been an ultra reliable workhorse and never let me down, ever. It's also practically silent at just 30db noise level. The air that comes from the airbrush is actually louder than the compressor itself. I've sprayed at 3am with people asleep in the next room with no problems..

Silair is one of the brands I'm looking at. Good to know yours has lasted 30 years! The 30db noise level is nice. I wish other companies would post the db level with each compressors specifications. Thanks for the information.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:54 PM, Gorby said:

I have a Iwata Jet Smart Pro, which at first I didn’t was particularly quiet. Then I realised that a lot of the noise was vibration. I built a small shelf and used rubber pads between the brackets and the wall and the compressor now sits on a thickish mat of rubber anti-slip stuff. It's more than halved the noise and as Steve says, the air out of the airbrush is now significantly louder than the compressor.

vETZCOg_6r84HlNa6JfwQKb6rhXb8DPV_OBHbOnd

Makes sense and a nice solution to the noise  problem. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, DerekMc said:

Silair is one of the brands I'm looking at. Good to know yours has lasted 30 years! The 30db noise level is nice. I wish other companies would post the db level with each compressors specifications. Thanks for the information.

Makes sense and a nice solution to the noise  problem. Thanks!

If mine ever needed replacing, I would buy another Silair in a heartbeat. The only thing I would opt for now is one with auto stop/start. Mine doesn't have that feature but it would be a plus point was I buying one today..

• Like 1

I use an Iwata Smart Jet Plus Tubular Airbrush Compressor (courtesy of a very understanding wife) with my various airbrushes (airbrushi?) including my Harder and Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus 2in1 and have been exceedingly happy with that combination.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1