Spitfire IXe options...

cmatthewbacon

So, as luck would have it, I picked up an Eduard 1/48 Spit IXe "Weekend Edition" in a local Age UK charity shop for £4.99, which has to be a good deal. Not sure I fancy the rather specific Czech clipped-wing scheme, though. So, two questions:

1) Are there alternative aftermarket decals for a Mk IXe that I could buy for not too much money? Say, Israeli or Norwegian?

2) I also have a Profipack IXc... are there enough spare parts of the right sort if I rob from both kits to use one of the other schemes from the IXc box to get two IXc/e s from what I now have in the stash?

TIA for any guidance!

best,

M.

If it is kit 84138 then you almost certainly have all the  parts in the kit do do any of the Eduard IXe builds - look at their website for other IXe kit instructions.  Your kit has the same parts as the IXe profipack and the Velveta (Israeli) special.

• Like 1

Vingtor do a couple of nice Norwegian sets from the end of the war with the RAF administered 331 and 332 Sqns, and also postwar in full RNoAF service.

Bjørnar Norås' Norseman Decals also did a couple of wonderful sets back in 2001 and they were also excellent. I have them and have used them a couple of times. Probably difficult to find now although a request in the WTB section might bring luck.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

1) Are there alternative aftermarket decals for a Mk IXe that I could buy for not too much money? Say, Israeli or Norwegian?

Put up a wanted ad, for Eduard leftovers,  for example the Israeli/Velevta boxing had 5 options,  the IXe profipack has 5,  the Boys Are Back set had multiple decals options (mostly IXe) and the Royal Class kit had 12 or 15,  including Norwegian,  so there plenty are out there in spare decal box land.

21 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

2) I also have a Profipack IXc... are there enough spare parts of the right sort if I rob from both kits to use one of the other schemes from the IXc box to get two IXc/e s from what I now have in the stash?

Which IXc profipack,  there are at least 2 (early/late)

the problem is the wings, Eduard in their infinite wisdom went down the route of making 3  upperwings for the IX kit, Broad bulges (early) slim inner bulges (IXc) and slim outer, (IXe)  apart from that the rest of the parts are the same.  If you are happy changing blisters, then there is no problem.

These are illustrated on the Eduard site.   

One final point,  the Profipack IXc early has two sets of wings,  and the Royal Class box has the 3 types,  I mention this as spare wings are also out there is spares land.

HTH?   any clairifications, ask away, the above is from memory.... having researched this quite a bit...

T

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I also have a Profipack IXc... are there enough spare parts of the right sort if I rob from both kits to use one of the other schemes from the IXc box to get two IXc/e s from what I now have in the stash?

If you have the IXc (Late) kit 8281, you have enough to build the one aircraft (sprue C), If, however, you have the IXc (Early) kit 8282, You should have a spare set of late style wings (sprues C and B), also.  With the 'B' sprue, you can build Johnie Johnson's JE*J - EN398

For Spit IXe decals, Hannant's have two pages of decals for IXe, just do a search for 'all decals, IXe, I/48'

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hornet133 said:

While the Royal Class boxing has all 3 'types' of wings, people do not have SPARE wings. There are 4 fuselages and a total of 4 wing sets in the box, one for each fuselage. Thus no SPARE wings to pass on.

72nd quattro  yes.

https://www.eduard.com/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-72/spitfire-mk-ix-quattro-combo-1-72.html?lang=1

but the OP is asking about 1/48th

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Spitfire-Mk-IX-ROYAL-CLASS-1-48.html

Exclusive Royal Class edition of Eduard Spitfire Mk.IX 1/48 in the black-gold style boxing.

The kit contains plastic parts, photo-etched details and painting masks for two complete models in variants:

Mk.IXc early

IXc late

IXe

allowing combination of two models in different variants, i.e. IXc late and IXe or IXc early and IXc late, etc.

Kit attributes:

three wing options (F Mk.IXc, LF/HF Mk.IXc, Mk.IXe),

14 colorful marking options,

which does have 3 wings

My Bad...I did not realize that the 1/48th is different to the 1/72 Royal Class that I have.

BTW I love how I am still regarded as a 'New Member' after 166 posts !!

Edited by Hornet133
commented re 'New Member'

On 9/8/2019 at 11:33 PM, Hornet133 said:

BTW I love how I am still regarded as a 'New Member' after 166 posts !!

This is post 780 for me and I only recently was classified as an 'obsessed member'.:partytime:

After reading this I might just have to get myself one of these new-fangled Eduard Spitfires.

DennisTheBear