Halifax / Lancaster wheels

SamH93

Hi,

Quick question, are the Halifax' and Lancaster's main landing wheels the same, or do they differ?

Was wondering this as there are some nice weighted wheels for the Lancaster but could not find any for the Halifax.

That made me consider if they're interchangeable. 

Kind regards,

Sam

Definitely a good resource to have on hand.  Thanks for posting it.

I've already found a use.  I compared the tire sizes for the Hawker Tempest and Sea Fury and, if I am reading this correctly, it shows that the main wheels are the same size while the tail wheels are different:

spacer.png

I had contacted Roy Sutherland some time back, inquiring if his 1/72 Tempest wheels would work for a Sea Fury, he replied that they wouldn't as they were different sizes.  This table would appear to contradict him.  He said that he would be releasing a set of wheels for the Sea Fury in 1/72, but have yet to see that.  He did do a set in 1/48.  So unless it is an issue of tread pattern, this chart would suggest that a set of treaded Tempest wheels would work for a Sea Fury - right???

• Like 1

Hi

Just a few words of caution, note the words at the top of the list 

'as found in aviation museums'

the museum examples may not always have the correct tyres fitted 

the table is useful, but the best source of info is an AP manual for the aircraft concerned 

cheers

jerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Definitely a good resource to have on hand.  Thanks for posting it.

I've already found a use.  I compared the tire sizes for the Hawker Tempest and Sea Fury and, if I am reading this correctly, it shows that the main wheels are the same size while the tail wheels are different:

spacer.png

I had contacted Roy Sutherland some time back, inquiring if his 1/72 Tempest wheels would work for a Sea Fury, he replied that they wouldn't as they were different sizes.  This table would appear to contradict him.  He said that he would be releasing a set of wheels for the Sea Fury in 1/72, but have yet to see that.  He did do a set in 1/48.  So unless it is an issue of tread pattern, this chart would suggest that a set of treaded Tempest wheels would work for a Sea Fury - right???

This is a a very useful list and I keep a copy as one of my modelling references. However, it is by no means definitive, as the author acknowledges. Re your particular interest, there were two sizes of mainwheel and tyre fitted to the Tempest. Early aircraft had the 34" dia type, as fitted to the Typhoon, later A/C the 30" dia, higher pressure, tyre. 

Peter M

• Thanks 1

Also, just because two wheels are the same diameter and rim width doesn't mean they are the same wheel. It means there's a chance they're the same wheel, but no more than that. They could have completely different design and construction, or they could be similar but with detail differences.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

This is a a very useful list and I keep a copy as one of my modelling references. However, it is by no means definitive, as the author acknowledges. Re your particular interest, there were two sizes of mainwheel and tyre fitted to the Tempest. Early aircraft had the 34" dia type, as fitted to the Typhoon, later A/C the 30" dia, higher pressure, tyre. 

Peter M

Thanks Peter.

According to the information on BarracudaCast's website (I am referring to the 3 different 1/72 sets of wheels related to my question), set #72136 is for the early version series 1 Tempests Mk.V (plus Typhoons as well) - smooth tire, no tread and no diameter given (as a side comment, set #72137 is remarkably similar in appearance, virtually identical to my eye, it is listed for the Fairey Firefly Mk.I and Barracuda).  Both sets have 5 lot hubs.

Set #72221 again, smooth tire, no tread and listed for later Tempest Mk.V's (series 2 and later - Mk.II, Mk.VI) and has a 4 slot hub.

Set #72222 is listed as a 4 slot, 32" Wheel with the block style tread.  It is compatible with Postwar Tempests, the Firefly, Hornet, Sea Hornet, Barracuda V and Firebrand.  This is the set that I am considering for use with my Sea Fury kits.

I do not have set #72222 on hand (yet), but if there is any appreciable visual difference in diameter, the 32" to the 34" diameter of earlier wheel types, I'd be hard pressed to see it, especially in 1/72.  Going the other direction, 32" to the 30" diameter of what the Sea Fury has, same thing.  The only difference I could imagine, if/when Roy offers his 1/72 Sea Fury wheels might be tire tread or perhaps hub details.  It should still be a 4 slot hub and I'd bet that the disc brake detail of the rear of the wheel hub will appear the same as that in set #72222.

Set #72222

spacer.pngspacer.png

Set #48151 (1/48 counterpart to above 1/72 set)

spacer.png

Set #48344 (1/48 Sea Fury, there is also a second set with diamond style tread)

spacer.png

The real thing (a real bugger of a challenge to find pictures of an aircraft's wheels, lots of model kit pics though!  LOL ) :

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The diamond pattern tread might prove to be more preferred or even perhaps the circumferential style.  But I think at the end of the day, in 1/72, a 2" difference will prove difficult to tell (unless sitting next to a kit with the "correct"size of wheel).

If memory serves, I think I have a set of Ron's Resins Sea Fury wheels.  I'm going to have to try and find them see how they compare.

Either way, it does not change the fact that that list of tire sizes is a fantastic piece of reference material for a modeler.

Thanks all for indulging me.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:01 AM, dogsbody said:

I just googled " handley-page halifax wheel diameter " and that was about the 4th entry. Took me almost 2 minutes, maybe less.

Chris

Put's me to shame, did had a quick look but must have missed it!

Still really appreciate the effort as its really quite usefull

Hi

Finally found time to check my AP manuals

lancaster and halifax main wheels are both listed with the same info 

AH 2238 with 24 x 19 tyres

cheers

jerry 

• Like 3