Der Nachtfalter (Moth) Another bits box kreiger

I'm on two days off, So, aside from spending time up a ladder getting all the moss out of the guttering at the back of the house, and unblocking the drainpipes....

Oh, and chopping lots of wood for the logburner due to a nasty rumour called Winter, I got a bit of modelling done.

qt5fRD7.jpg

I got a couple of metres of self adhesive thin metal tape off the bay. Okay, so it's a blatant copy of what @TheBaron did to his Anson but if no one tells him....

Actually my excuse is that it's an anti icing device for cold nights aloft hunting the enemy. The tape is good and very thin but the backing paper needs to be

peeled off very carefully or it tends to curl up and become useless. Ask me how I found that out. Oh well, it was only a couple of quid and I've lots left.

If you look very carefully you may be able to make out that I've been scribing access panels on the wings and spine.

l7IMu3h.jpg

The engines have had some modifications with extra intakes etc and a lick of paint. Well, rust actually. It wouldn't be kreiger without rust.

So the intake ring and the exhaust cone had the treatment. Which doesn't really show up that well here as I only did a light smattering of the stuff.

I figured that almost everything in kreiger is rusty, so why not a mild steel intake ring and exhaust which is also blued (Tamiya clear) from the heat.

4LGR5W8.jpg

The taxi light got moved down the leg a mil or three. The main legs got brake lines and electrics and I found this ancient missile which will get kreigered.

xosPhFM.jpg

Under the port wing. Holes are for a pylon which will carry a sensor pod. More access panels and yet more typists correction fluid (the white stuff) 

as every time I tilt this to a new angle I see more gaps/divots in the otherwise smooth surface. (Note to self, stop tilting model in sunlight or work in the dark).

I've found a 1/32nd pilot. The ex Phantom ones I had were too big but this guy is ex Airfix Porsche 917 and fits nicely. I know people come in different sizes but....

I'm mocking up an ejection seat for him and he needs a repaint, the last coat was in the early seventies!

Will I get paint (besides primer!) on this at the weekend? I doubt it. Still lots of fiddly bits to sort out, but we are getting near.

I still need a definitive paint scheme. I've seen WW1 lozenge on a certain other thread here in Sci fi and I may have to steal the idea. We shall see.

The next project is bubbling away in my head and I'm eager to get started on it. No clues, but you can probably guess the general theme.

As always, your thoughts are welcome, but remember this is a family forum!

Thanks for looking, Pete

• Like 10

John, I'm not sure. It's a night fighter so you don't want a reflective surface. I thought I'd paint it then micromesh so it just shows through in places?

I was going for a typical He219 colour scheme. But now I've seen that lozenge scheme I'm not so sure, decisions, decisions!

Nice work Pete.

Beautifully rusty engines if I might make so bold! (and the foil looks good too - your idea about rubbing it back is a good one - a light Micromeshing is just enough to draw off the paint in sections in a controllable manner and looks quite pukka.)

• Thanks 1

Another day, another update. (Stop yawning there at the back!) Some decent progress has been made too.

L9SPYS0.jpg

Spots of filler yesterday were rubbed down today and, hey presto, Gunship grey happened to the underside. I'm happy with the finish (Tamiya rattlecan).

5FddtOA.jpg

Especially for @TheBaron a decent shot of the rusty exhausts (with Sooty ends. Need to get a Sweep).

93O8MuO.jpg

That ancient missile. Modded slightly and since this was taken, now in white primer.

XSz4vXv.jpg

The gear has been painted in a thin coat of Humbrol cockpit green.

TPAyAQh.jpg

Our intrepid jockey, awaiting arms and paint.

ryKsLSK.jpg

The sensor pod. Much modified and very brown. And why not?

5R2uh58.jpg

The other side. Note the WW2 type radar aerial on the nose. Kreiger stuff again, don'tchaknow.

MvQK4WK.jpg

And, we have an ejection seat! The 1/32nd Revell Phantom backrest merged with an Me262 seatbase and dressed up with greeblies.

vwj5L2t.jpg

Yes, Lewis guns for greeblies. Fiendish stuff, eh?

zNXNyXu.jpg

Wheels and tyres got cockpit green and dark grey respectively.

And that is probably that for the near future. Busy tomorrow, work all week, so tune in again next weekend.

Thanks for passing by, do try the fishpaste sandwiches. (ebay, y'know) Bye for now, Pete

• Like 9

Why thank you, kind Sir. I narrowly missed out on an original Nitto 1/20th Fireball on ebay yesterday. I lost it at the last minute.

Most of the Hasegawa kits are repops of the original Nitto kits. AFAIK. That is a decent price at Sprue brothers, but the postage would be the killer.

I met a very nice man at the Southwell show last weekend who is looking out some part built kreiger in his stash for me.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

Blimey Pete, that was an epic of an update, much to take in from the back.

She is slipping along at a nice pace now, nice weathering on the engines and that pod looks superb.

That first picture in post 32 looks like it could be any kit from a mainstream manufacturer, fine kit bashing this is...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2019 at 6:12 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

who is looking out some part built kreiger

I got a 1/20th Gustav and parts of Freidrich for a fair price in the end.

And it's time for the weekend update once again. It's mostly been detail stuff this time. The mainlegs got taxi lights fitted as on a Tornado.

LtSfo8t.jpg

While the noseleg got this nifty little mudguard that I found in the spares box.

gdzveoh.jpg

In the cockpit, I fitted the instrument panel (which meant filing a bit off the insides of the pilots boots so they'd clear the central column).

The seat was taken to bits and rearranged. The Lewis guns fouled the rear canopy and the seat itself was slightly too tall. 

I broke off the control column and then lost it, so I made a sidestick, which can just be seen by the pilots right wrist.

There's an add on pod on top of the coaming and a couple of bits added to the sight. Oh, and the pilot got his arms back.

The filler in his arm joints needs rubbing down and then he can get a lick of paint. The seat has been sprayed medium sea grey.

VyTnOh1.jpg

And I've been messing around in the spare pylons box. On the left here the big pylon is for that brown sensor pod.

On the other wing the two pylons need missile rails fitting and one will get the missile seen in a picture somewhere above.

The missile is now white and yellow BTW.

HRP5xSK.jpg

Meanwhile, work has been horrific. No, that's me in the middle!

Thanks for looking, and your (clean) thoughts are welcome.

Pete

• Like 6

On 27/10/2019 at 12:48, Pete in Lincs said:

HRP5xSK.jpg

Meanwhile, work has been horrific. No, that's me in the middle!

Thanks for looking, and your (clean) thoughts are welcome.

Pete

The bird is looking  very nice.

How long before we see paint and what is next?

If you were a bit closer I'd be happy to share some of my extra MaK kits just to see you build 'em but...

I like your puppets too but the one in the middle is a bit creepy looking...

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Just trying to be funny. Please feel free to insult me at your convenience.)

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

How long before we see paint and what is next?

Thank you for the nice words, and, in answer to your questions....

1/ I'm not sure yet. I need to sort the cockpit and canopy properly first. Then I need another good think about masking for the scheme I want to do, if I can!

2/ What is next? I would like to do a scratchbuilt hover truck as seen in the Bandai Zeon set. Somewhere on BM is/was a rebuild as a MLRS carrier, amazing.

310?cb=20190724024509

I've seen the set going for about 30GBP on the bay and I was tempted, but I have the scratchbuild itch and fancy the challenge of having a go. 

Besides, what I build will be done using my spares boxes so will not be exactly the same, and I like that. That's not to say I wouldn't buy one for 20GBP if I could!

I have pictures of the parts, but some measurements would be good if anyone reading this has one.

Please feel free to have a word with NASA to see if they'd rocket some Ma.k my way. It may well work out cheaper than USPS rates.

And as for creepy looking, you should see the colleague who took the photo! Cheers, Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like the looks of the hover truck so much that I ordered one.   $60usd but I get a discount!

Unfortunately it is back ordered.

Have you seen this one?

ewaldzmsa.jpg

It looks both cutesy and terrifying to fly. Especially in combat...

I gotta get the ship I'm working on done so I can work on more interesting projects like this.

*grumble*

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Have you seen this one?

I've got one. Built it years ago in Saudi. It went on my original Misfit floaty boat. 

I built it with floats, like a 50's S55 helicopter. It's a lovely little kit that virtually snaps together.

And it has the Bandai trick of multi coloured sprues.

Time for a weekend update but no pictures this time. We're speeding up downhill to the finish now.

The seat got fitted. The Pilot got painted. Blue coveralls and red skidlid. The canopy got fettled and fitted. The mainwheels were glued to the mainlegs, 

Then, I hit the upperside with masking tape in a slightly mad 3 tone version of Luftwaffe splinter. I was thinking of lozenge, but changed my mind.

It's just two colours at the moment (2nd coat still drying) so that will probably be it until next weekend. It will depend on getting an early finish at work.

Thanks for looking. Pete

• Like 3

On 11/3/2019 at 6:27 PM, rockpopandchips said:

3 tone splinter sounds good to me. 

On 11/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, DalekCheese said:

Yeah, should work great

Well, let's see, shall we?

RvhElD6.jpg

Here we have the freshly unmasked and micromeshed model. What you see here are grey primer, Luftwaffe grey/green and gunship grey. The latter two are fromTamiya rattle cans.The grey primer is Hycote plastic primer. I just cut low tack tape at weird angles, applied and sprayed the green, then removed some tape, re-arranged it and sprayed again. It almost looks black and white on my laptop screen.

li6Gppv.jpg

The green has come out rather dark. But as this is supposed to be a nightfighter that is okay with me. It's certainly a disruptive pattern, I think.

gIbR2VP.jpg

I had painted the rear of the engines in Acrylic silver, but then forgot to mask that bit. After I sprayed I micromeshed the rear parts and this is the effect I got.

I quite like it. It looks like the paint has burnt off and, are those rust spots? 

Next, I plan to do a bit more painting, gloss coat, sort out some decals and apply them, dull coat, fit the engines, landing gear etc and unmask the canopy.

Next weekend perhaps, though we're off to Leicester for family stuff on Saturday. Hopefully I'll get something done on Sunday.

Until then, comments etc are always welcome.

Thanks for looking, Pete

• Like 6

Nice paint! I hadn't realised how the engines would be mounted, but love the way they've come out. The bulbous engine pods are very Ma.K as is the rather nice sensor pod you showed earlier.

W

• Thanks 1