Israeli DF/AF F-15 Eagles 'Cobra Warrior 19'

Smudge

When I found out that Israeli Defence Force/Air Force F-15 Eagles were deployed to RAF Waddington for Exercise Cobra Warrior, I had to get over there and have a look. Thanks to a heads up from Red Dot I got up early and headed for the Waddington Aircraft Viewing Enclosure. I can thoroughly recommend WAVE for free parking, a nice Cafe and friendly helpful staff and volunteers. 

I'm not much of a photographer I'm afraid. Struggled a bit with the settings on my DSLR. The autofocus has a mind of it's own. Anyhow, hope these are of interest

Waddo19 079

Waddo19 072

Waddo19 099

Waddo19 106

Waddo19 805

Waddo19 799

Waddo19 766

Waddo19 771

Waddo19 754

Waddo19 840

Waddo19 553

Waddo19 265

This pilot was good enough to give us a Fighter Pilots Wave with his Airbrake, 

Waddo19 229

and a more traditional wave......

Waddo19 234

Waddo19 568

Waddo19 601

Waddo19 647

Waddo19 444

Waddo19 417

And at rest at the end of the day...........

(taken through a wire fence, so please excuse the 'shadows')

Waddo19 1072

Waddo19 1062

Waddo19 1066

Waddo19 1078

818 carries some 'victory' markings......

Waddo19 978

Waddo19 812

If anyone can shed any light on these, I'd be interested to know the significance.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you like 'em.

Exercise Cobra Warrior is on for at least another week. If you are interested in fast jets and can get over there, I can recommend it.

Cheers.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Those are super Smudge. Were they all taken from the WAVE end apart from the statics? If so, it looks like they were taking off to the North, hence the top shots.

Interested for any info as I am going back on Tuesday

Andy

• Thanks 1

Hi @Red Dot Andy, thanks for the kind comments.

I spent most of the day on the airfield side of the road across from the WAVE. I didn't have a step (schoolboy error, never used one before) so I found a spot to the far right just a few yards past the airfield runway traffic lights. The verge was a little bit higher here so I could just about peek over the hedge. I was asked not to go beyond the lights, but a few others were there so I pushed my luck a bit. I wasn't asked to move. Most of the guys had small step ladders, and seemed happy to be well to my left.

The aircraft started the day taking off from the far end, coming towards us, as you say giving some nice top shots as they banked over us. There were some very spirited departures, I think the pilots were enjoying playing to the crowd. They swapped ends fairly early on, and I was able to get some shots of the aircraft taxiing in front of us and lining up on the runway. When they were landing at this end they were coming in very low and the fence on the other side of the road can actually get in the way! 

The shots where the aircraft are landing from left to right were taken from the same end, but the other side of the runway. Most of the crowd had gone home and there were only a few of us left. A guy spoke to me and asked if it was ok to walk up the road and get some pictures from the other side of the runway, because the sun had come round and we were looking straight into it. I had to say I wasn't sure but another chap had gone that way earlier. He headed off and I thought why not, so I followed him up there. I was higher up the hill with a lovely late evening sun behind me and a nice view. If it had been busier I think the Police would have moved us on as we were between the two sets of lights, but we were left alone. 

I had such a good day, and the lady in the WAVE talked me into coming back the next day (yesterday, Friday), as apparently it was due to be a busy flying day. It was a busy morning, but a little overcast so not great for taking pictures. I tried to compensate for the low light by slightly overexposing my shots, but I overdid it and spoilt a load of approach shots of the Eagles and Typhoons. Curses.

Most of the crowd had gone home and the sun was now out, so I took a drive round the airfield and got the shots of the Eagles at their dispersal. Again probably got away with this as it was quiet, I don't think the Police or farmer would put up with a lot of people and vehicles blocking the crash gate etc. There are 'No Parking' bollards everywhere!

Hope this is useful, and I've not waffled on too much. Have a great day.

Cheers.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the great info Smudge. Hopefully, they will do the same on Tuesday too.

You are probably right about where you were standing alone. With crowds, the police get twitchy. 

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Very nice photos Smudge, thanks for sharing.

One thing that fascinated me was the reverse cammo on 818's tail. The darker grey is usually the spot in the centre. Might be a neat touch worth capturing on a model?

Cheers.

Not that I know anything about Israeli aircraft, but there are quite a few small differences between the aircraft when you look closely. Some are very worn on top of the wings for instance.

As you say, tempting for a model

Andy

• Thanks 1

Thank you Guys.

14 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

One thing that fascinated me was the reverse cammo on 818's tail. The darker grey is usually the spot in the centre. Might be a neat touch worth capturing on a model?

13 hours ago, Red Dot said:

............... Israeli aircraft, but there are quite a few small differences between the aircraft when you look closely. Some are very worn on top of the wings for instance.

Well spotted geedubelyer, that is interesting. For sure would make a nice model. I have an old 1/72 Microscale sheet for Israeli Eagles, which I am now inspired to dig out!

Red Dot, yes they are all slightly different aren't they. The most obvious being the darker grey radomes of the 'C's. I guess it bears out the truth about checking your references.

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

I'm no expert either but aren't these fighters as opposed to bomber F-15s? I think they still use camo ones too

Andy

The Eagles at Waddington are F-15C/D which remain in the light grey scheme , it's the F-15I which has the camouflage scheme.

Great pics, thanks for sharing them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There seems to be a lot of activity in the area. I've been monitoring ADSB. Last night we even had an IDFAF Herc (435) overhead on its way south ..... Yesterday even produced a French C-135FR ended up in Prestwick I think. 

Martin

• Like 2