1/72 Avro Lancastrian errors

Gooney Fan

Hello

Has anybody else noticed the errors in the Magna Models Lancastrian conversion.

This was due, I believe, to the Aviation News drawings that Magna followed when producing their conversion.

The drawings in the old Patrick Stephens  book on modelling the Lancaster family,or the drawings in Aircraft of the Fighting Powers of the '40s show a better representation of the fairings in question

What do you think?

Gooney Fan

Don’t know about Magna drawings or kit shape, but from photos I’ve seen I think the nose and tail fairing sometimes varies a bit.  I suspect that reflects variety of types, some being actually a converted Lancaster with fairing rather than an official Lancastrian.

Hello malpaso

The errors I believe are that the nose is too short and pinched and the tail fairing is un-necesarily extended to get the overall length correct.

The only Lancaster afaik to have a short nose was the first conversion produced in Canada with a partially glazed nose.

As far as I'm aware, all other Lancastrians had a long nose with a short tail fairing.

Another good reference is on the Harleyford  volume on the Lancaster family.

Gooney Fan

• Like 1

Hello robertlundin

Glad that I wasn't dreaming.

I have purchased  the A-model kit, which confirms my suspicions and also e-mailed Blackbird Models regarding the errors in the  Aviation News drawings.

I just hope they haven't repeated the Magna Models mistakes with their conversion.

Gooney Fan

• Mike changed the title to 1/72 Avro Lancastrian errors

Excuse my asking ,but what do the drawings in Aviation News have to do with Blackbird Models?.

Oh I see, Blackbirds produced a conversion now. Glen's possibly used the Magna moulds.

Edited by chris57
Update

Hi Chris @chris57,

think what Gooney Fan was meaning? was he'd sent Glen an advisory about how the aviation news plans can, at times, be slightly off! If Blackbird have used moulds made by anybody else, which I would doubt, you can bet your bottom dollar they've been checked to the n'th degree, before they've been used.

24 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Hi Chris @chris57,

think what Gooney Fan was meaning? was he'd sent Glen an advisory about how the aviation news plans can, at times, be slightly off! If Blackbird have used moulds made by anybody else, which I would doubt, you can bet your bottom dollar they've been checked to the n'th degree, before they've been used.

Hi Paul Glen's normally well researched, but with Combat now holding the Magna moulds I did wonder. I'm seeing Colin at Modelfest to-morrow, so I'll give him the third degree. See you at the Nats

7 hours ago, chris57 said:

.................I'm seeing Colin at Modelfest to-morrow, so I'll give him the third degree. See you at the Nats

'Eee, I'm glad there's somebody else who still calls 'em the Nats 👍 See you in November, Chris.

6 hours ago, Gooney Fan said:

Hi chris57

The instructions on the Hannants website still illustrate the wrong nose and tail fairings.

I hope that the resin parts have been corrected.

Gooney Fan

Hi Gooney Help me out here. I looked at H but can only see BMA72010 ( Lancastrian conv) as a future release with no visible details. I notice Glen is also listing a Halton conversion as a future release(another one done by Magna). I'm holding some decals for Dave at Combat which I'm hoping to pass to Colin to-morrow. cheers Chris

Hi chris57

The instructions I refer to are for the decals released by Blackbird Models

As you say the actual conversion is still in development.

I'm hoping that they get the nose & tail sorted as I want to build an accurate model to add to my 1940's collection.

Gooney Fan

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/2019 at 6:50 AM, Gooney Fan said:

Hello again

I've just been checking on the web and there only appears to be one kit to have got the nose & tail fairings correct.

That  is on the Amodel 1/144 scale kit.

Gooney Fan

Amusingly I will be using my Amodel Lancastrian as the basis of the Canadian Mailplane ! Glad to see this discussion here as I was thinking I need to shorten the nose. Will be starting it at end of February for the Britmodeller group Lancaster build.

34 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Amusingly I will be using my Amodel Lancastrian as the basis of the Canadian Mailplane ! Glad to see this discussion here as I was thinking I need to shorten the nose. Will be starting it at end of February for the Britmodeller group Lancaster build.

Best of luck. I built the Amodel Lancastrian a few years ago and it was an interesting experience, to say the least

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skodadriver said:

Best of luck. I built the Amodel Lancastrian a few years ago and it was an interesting experience, to say the least

My other build will be the Frog 1/96 Lancaster converted using 1/72 B17 wing tips to make it look a bit like the first 80ft span Manchester. It helps that I do models to 'represent' aircraft rather than count rivets. I get a lot more fun that way  🙂

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 5:23 AM, Adrian Hills said:

If you want to see when I am in a really nutty mood check out my post in 'What ifs' entitled the "Westland delanne Wilmington"😜

Yeah, I saw that. <_<  "Nutty" mood you say. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 1