This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
speedy

Selling on eBay

I was on eBay last night and got a notification that there was a 4 day listing for £1, great I thought I’ll list some items in the morning. This morning I went to list my Tornado books and got to the delivery stage and it would only give me an option to use Royal Mail or some eBay shipping service (which I can’t remember now). Having recently been stung with the eBay/RM brotherhood in that it cost way more than what the eBay default said it would, I was looking to use MyHermes as I used to use them for sales and never had a problem also being quite reasonable. So as a consequence of not being able to choose how I get my goods there, I cancelled the sale and I’ll keep my £1 towards a WNW Lancaster, that will teach them😏.

Not being a regular seller when did the RM/eBay monopoly start?.

Steve.

I've been an on and off eBay seller for the past 10 years and never had this sort of problem. I've just done a quick listing on eBay and got the usual large list of shipping options including MyHeremes, Fedex, UPS, Royal Mail and many others.

How long have you had an eBay account and how much selling have you done in the past? It could be a restriction placed by eBay because your account is a newer one or you haven't the sales volume.

Personally I believe there shouldn't be a problem with choosing who ever you want as a shipping method, including 'Other Courier'!

Check all your eBay default settings, it may be you have a default shipping option set, and if necessary contact eBay and ask them.

P

Edited by PDH

Hi, 

i had had this on a return to ebay and you have to look in the settings for your listing, it's not immediately obvious but it is there.

tbh with the hassle of listing and then what they and PayPal took in fees I never bothered after my one test listing.

julien

On 9/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, Julien said:

Hi, 

i had had this on a return to ebay and you have to look in the settings for your listing, it's not immediately obvious but it is there.

tbh with the hassle of listing and then what they and PayPal took in fees I never bothered after my one test listing.

julien

Couldn't agree more, Julien. Occasionally I get stuff out and think, I'll ebay that. Then I think can I be bothered with all the hassle, fees and numpty so called buyers  so it goes to the charity shop.

15 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Couldn't agree more, Julien. Occasionally I get stuff out and think, I'll ebay that. Then I think can I be bothered with all the hassle, fees and numpty so called buyers  so it goes to the charity shop.

I agree with Vinnie. I am self employed.  I find that when I look at sellers fees including PayPal, postal/delivery charges, costs of packaging and calculate time spent in creating the listing, wrapping, communications with buyer, going to post office/ sending point and anything else it becomes clear pretty quickly that if I had not bothered and spent the time working instead I would have made more than the buyer would be paying unless it’s a really high value kit. And I would still have the kit too. 

I have not sold a kit in 18 months at least. 

Maybe the moral is either sell on here or let the stash grow

Rarely had a problem selling on eBay. In fact only one occasion I can recall when I was messed about by an overseas bidder and that was sorted by eBay themselves. Thereafter all sales have been UK only and have gone smoothly using RM since it's not much hassle to pay the postage online and simply drop a wrapped parcel at the post office. Plus I can't stand the couriers, whose equivalent to the local Royal Mail depot, for when I'm not around, appears to be my doorstep, a neighbour I've never heard of, the patio in the rain, or any other 'safe place' which is anything but. They may be cheap and convenient for some but as a buyer I'd rather pay the extra for surety and choose to send as I'd prefer to receive. Yes the fees with eBay selling are a pain but I've done ok so far. I used to sell on BM in the hope they were going to those who would build them but had a couple of difficult sales including one where the buyer relisted the item on eBay after receiving it an inflated price. Rarely sell here nowadays.