Sleeper's Indecisive GB Entry conundrum...

Well here we are again.

@JOCKNEY suggested my Staggerwing would be best left so I entered the terrible phase where I decide what I won't finish in a Group Build.

Special Hobby He115 in RAF service was first idea, After reading several build threads moved onto second idea....

Grumman Goose, this was easier I opened the box, gulped, had a coffee and looked for option three.

Then I found this piece of beautiful floaty goodness LINKY

Scaleworx offer an Alouette in resin which is right in front of me and some helpful advice that the floats are the same as the AB-47 but rigged differently. So I'll be going through my tube collection soon. Photos will follow. I also have the decals from HERE which seem to offer everything I need EXCEPT the dayglo bits. Anybody got a recommendation for dayglo decal sheet? There's no way I'm going to brush paint it....

Photos will follow tomorrow. Honest.

• Like 3

Hi SleeperService!

Welcome to the GB. The Alouette on floats looks superb! Will it be 1/48?

Looking forward to seeing it built!

Jaime

20 hours ago, jrlx said:

Welcome to the GB. The Alouette on floats looks superb! Will it be 1/48?

Thank You kind Sir. Yes it will be 1/48. Photos delayed because I forgot to get new batteries when I put the last lot in....because I'm an idiot.

• Like 1

Well electricity has been secured and here is the start.

spacer.png

Scaleworx Alouette III as unpacked. Very nice photoetch for the grills and a tiny decal sheet for the SAAF option intended. The breakdown is for a plastic kit in resin and the parts all look useable with the flash membrane between parts being so thin it almost isn't there. There is a single vacform canopy bubble with faint outlines for all the windows, they may be hard to see but I'll bet they're about scale. There were no instructions in my kit but an e-mail to S.Africa had a set via electrons and magic by return. It's packed into a sturdy white corrugated box which survived the post unharmed. As this is important to many it's a top opening box :D 

I've wanted to build this ever since the picture came up on Airliners.net and I'm quite eager to get going.

The fuselage halves are taped together and match very well, the first job is to trim the canopy so it fits. Then I can beg a replacement from John if needed ;) 

The Italeri kit is there as I'll be making copies of the floats which were the same as the Alouette, I've mislaid the decals so pictures will follow.....

• Like 8

I think putting the uncompleted Frog Squad GB Hurricane in the background is a bit cruel, but I do like your choice in this GB, not a kit I'm familiar with so looking forward to seeing this one come together.

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I think putting the uncompleted Frog Squad GB Hurricane in the background is a bit cruel, but I do like your choice in this GB, not a kit I'm familiar with so looking forward to seeing this one come together.

cheers Pat

That's because I had to clear some space for this photo Pat :D I needed a break from tiny styrene parts. Hurricane front and centre today though, every time I think I'm ready to prime and paint I spot something else that needs adjustment. Rattle can on alert for later though....

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got this underway during the week and day one sees a very relieved SS with two fuselage halves and the canopy all fitting together well.

spacer.png

I adapted a method I use for vacforms which led to some project scope creep....

Step 1; Mark the edge of the fuselage pieces and then shave down the inside until it is the same thickness at the edge as the canopy. Doing a section at a time and marking the completed area as I go avoids mistakes

spacer.png

spacer.png

That'll get to this.

Step 2; Cut a strip of 10thou plastic card so that when fitted inside it overlaps the front edge by at least 1mm, you may need to experiment with positioning. Then scrape away the angled face until it is all level with the front edge and parallel with the outside face.

spacer.png

Note the angled cut at the bottom to match the door opening. Once happy tack in place and check canopy sits flush with outer fuselage, adjust if needed. Then run superglue in from the edges.

Step 4; Once solid mark a line on the plastic card outer face 0.5mm past the fuselage side. Take your time and get it right with as thin a line as possible.

spacer.png

Step 5; Using a new blade cut along this line in one continuous stroke if possible. This will leave you with a narrow locating edge for the canopy to be firmly fixed to.

spacer.png

I stop slightly short of each fuselage side joining face in case adjustment of the fit is needed. For the bottom edge of the canopy I'll scribe a line onto the edge and use 10 x 20 thou strip with the top edge tapered back from the bottom. I dare the canopy to move.

This does mean that the rear bulkhead will need some modification to fit snugly but I have other work to do there as John at Scaleworx has made it match the SAAF machines. Hope this is of interest to somebody out there. Bit messy but not hard to do and a nice change from tiny Frog Hurricane parts :D

• Like 7

• 1 month later...