Avis Models Bristol M.1c

Luka

I found this, apparently a recent release of the very pretty M.1c. Available at around €18,-, I find it a bit steep for such a tiny kit. My question; does anybody know if it's any good? I could find no reviews online.
Is it possibly the same as the Pegasus kit? IIRC they're both made in Ukraine..

spacer.png

• Like 3

Definitely not the same as the Pegasus (UK) kit.

They're both short run injection kits, but Pegasus was state of the art 35 years ago and Avis is state of the art today.

Not built mine yet but the parts match up well to the plans in the Windsock Datafile, look well detailed and minimal flash.

However as short run kits there's no location points, so expect a bit of filing, pinning and test fitting. Look at Moa's recent builds of the Avis Short Satellite and Short Cockle to see what sort of quality to expect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My M1C arrived today from Mr Hannants. Unfortunately the box was slightly squashed and promptly fell apart:

spacer.png

Never mind, I'll convert it to top-opening anyway. Two neat little sprues, all looks nice and tidy - though on these short run kits that doesn't mean any of it will fit.

Film windscreen and two decal options: The Shuttleworth's C4918, and C4996.

spacer.png

The instructions: Lots of little pieces for the cockpit, an engine (though the spinner will hide it) and a gun. Note C4996 was a trainer which may or may not have mounted a gun, though it didn't have one when photographed. There is an optional cockpit coaming but no indication which to use.

spacer.png

The wing is one piece, so the cowling is broken up into several parts which will need work, especially if its to be a metal finish. Spinner and prop are separate (they should be very close fitting) so the spinner can be omitted as sometimes happened on M1Cs.

And two paint guides, one on the back of the instructions and a separate sheet. Eh?

spacer.png

The left is the instructions and its gibberish - the top/bottom profiles don't match the side views. So I guess the right is the errata. Not the easiest to 'read' but the schemes are pretty straightforward:

• C4918: Glorious all-over brown, with shiney grey cowling.
  • C4996: Silver/grey cowling. Avis have the fuselage as linen with brown wings, which follows the CMR resin kit in differing from the Windsock interpretation, which was aluminium dope. So your call. Note the top wing colour should wrap around the wing edges.

All in all, looks very nice and looking forward to making a hash of it. For the record, here's C4996 in 1918:

spacer.png

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cool, this is what I was looking for!
Indeed, on the sprues it looks nice enough and well detailed. And yes; 'short-run' often translates as 'fit issues', but that's something I had taken into account.
Now the next step; will I dish out the <19,- euro for it..

21 hours ago, Luka said:

Cool, this is what I was looking for!
Indeed, on the sprues it looks nice enough and well detailed. And yes; 'short-run' often translates as 'fit issues', but that's something I had taken into account.
Now the next step; will I dish out the <19,- euro for it..

Well I didn't hesitate - always like the M1C and there aren't many WW1 British monoplanes to choose from. The parts look very nice, thin wings and struts, fine detail and small sprue gates. There is a bit of flash, but nothing unmanageable. It will sell out eventually and there's little chance of another one coming along cheaper in 1/72 (or any other scale).

I have mine on order with my not so local LMS and I am now looking forward to getting it. Looks streets ahead of the old Pegasus kit I have in the stash. Thanks for the peek in the box. 

Edited by Mr T

On 9/15/2019 at 3:24 PM, limeypilot said:

Why, are they making more?

On 9/15/2019 at 7:30 PM, Orso said:

I guess there is only 500 with these decals.

And @Procopius. Maybe I'm a 'numpty', I thought that the '500 pcs' was the parts in the box. :doh:

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Mr T said:

I have mine on order with my not so local LMS and I am now looking forward to getting it. Looks streets ahead of the old Pegasus kit I have in the stash. Thanks for the peek in the box. 

That one really does need some work, this looks to be far better but since I've already built the Pegasus one I won't be getting this one. 

yet, anyway.......

Ian

• Like 1

IIRC, CMK had announced quite a long time ago that they were going to issue a revised resin M1C with etched parts and decals to replace their original OOP kit, but sadly there's been little indication of any progress along that front. It's such a handsome kite,  I think I need to get the Avis kit and cut my losses. Thanks for posting the sprue shots.

Mike

On 18/09/2019 at 16:40, 72modeler said:

IIRC, CMK had announced quite a long time ago that they were going to issue a revised resin M1C with etched parts and decals to replace their original OOP kit, but sadly there's been little indication of any progress along that front. It's such a handsome kite,  I think I need to get the Avis kit and cut my losses. Thanks for posting the sprue shots.

Mike

AFAIK CMK never made one. CMR though........  Also Airmodel, which was also resin, looooong ago.

Paul.