Tamiya 1:48 Fieseler Fi-103 Flying Bomb

It is well documented that despite the successful 'D-Day' landings in Normandy on 6th June 1944, and the subsequent advance of the Allies across Europe, the people in London still found themselves having to endure the terror of the V1s crossing the Channel from various launch sites along the coast of the occupied countries. A lesser known fact is that 2 of these 'vengeance weapons' fell on Portsmouth. Whether Portsmouth was the intended target can never be known for sure. What is not in doubt is that the results of both attacks were damaging, and tragic respectively.

Early in July 1944, the first V1 to hit Portsmouth fell in Locksway Road, Southsea, destroying several properties and severely damaging many more in the vicinity. Amazingly, there were no casualties.

If the residents of Locksway Road were able to count their blessings, however, several of those in Newcomen Road and Winstanley Road, Stamshaw, were in no such position a few days later. At just after midnight on July 15th/16th 1944, a second V1 landed in the back garden of number 89 Winstanley Road. The ensuing detonation of the 850-kilo warhead resulted in the deaths of 15 people, and injury to a further 82. A total of 185 properties received significant or serious damage, with less serious damage to more than 1,900 others in the surrounding area. One of the elevators was recovered from the remaining wreckage of the V1 and is now on display at the ‘D-Day Story’ Collection at Clarence Esplanade, Southsea.

This build came about from a combination of circumstances:

Firstly, with only a week to go before the next club night, I realised that I had nothing to show!

Secondly, and by a strange quirk of fate, one of the competitions on at the meet tonight is the 'Memorial Trophy', which theme this year is 'Portsmouth'.

Thirdly, I had recently acquired this little kit with a view to doing a slightly different project, but the simple construction (8 pieces for the aircraft, 9 for the dolly cradle) meant I had a reasonable chance of finishing it in time

Fourthly, I felt I needed a bit of a 'palette cleanser' project to preserve the mojo for the trials and tribulations ahead on my Ju52/1m build.

The simplicity of the build didn't really warrant a WIP thread - it's built literally out of the box, with no additionals at all. Paints were from the Vallejo 'Model Air' RLM set for top and bottom of the aircraft, and Tamiya gun metal for the dolly cart. A good old all-over wash with Games Workshop sepia wash took the shine off that. That's all there was to it!

Anyway, here are some photos of the result, which will be going into the competition tonight!

o8eYE2q.jpg

V9EEzBL.jpg

6v9OiB8.jpg

eGKFQK7.jpg

t7CaUTt.jpg

mpiuidv.jpg

Comments and criticisms as ever most welcome :)

• Like 24

• clive_t changed the title to Tamiya 1:48 Fieseler Fi-103 Flying Bomb
41 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Superb build and camouflage. Looks like real. How did you get this incredible metal appearance on the trolley?

Thanks Mr Toryu, much appreciated. The metal look is just Tamiya Gun Metal (X10) air-brushed on, with an after wash of Games Workshop sepia wash.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gorby said:

That's excellent mottling Clive. 

Thanks Gorby! I wish I could say it was deliberate on my part, I think however it was caused by some decidedly ropey freehand air-brushing :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2Step said:

Nice compromise between new and looking used (from transport and storing). After all those were one time use! I think you nailed it!

15 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Tidy 👍🏿

14 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

That is so cool, and very well done too! 😎

:clap:

Thanks very much all of you, much appreciated.

Agree with the others- the "sloppy airbrushing" aka mottling looks very Luftwaffe, and while I'm not usually a fan of "make every panel line dirty" weathering, I think it really makes this "pop".  I did wonder if V-1s were around long enough to get that grubby, but dismissed that thought with the counter-thought that they probably weren't that smoothly joined in the first place.  Anyway, it makes it look like something that was knocked together well enough to make a one-way trip to England, but also brings out the "aircraft technology" of the gadget.

• Thanks 1