Spitfire LF.Vb - 1:72 Revell

Mig88

Hello everyone

Here is my Revell 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire LF.Vb which I built back in 2006. It represents EP461/FD, flown by Wing Cdr Frantisek Dolezal, Exeter (Czechoslovak) Wing, RAF, in 1943.

This was the reviled new-tool of 1996 with several major errors. I fixed some of them such as making the oil cooler intake circular instead of semi-elliptical and replacing the propeller with a spare one from an old Airfix kit. One major flaw was the lack of the characteristic gull-wing underside which I decided to leave well alone.

The kit was painted with airbrush. The kit's decals were (sadly) useless due to the awful tone of Sky used so I bought and used an MPD decal sheet.

Thanks for looking
Miguel

-E_h0TbJipQO9tGKmjniOYcFJvfeNfBJrRkafmrY

n6PrYjpFmzU2DCUVLKQZmnBtMvJk01-nVl83t8pu

qLmHgX5KlpYAblfp79y2zARc4PjXHE2SgCzFoU6S

bwcoir7J1-p8qBwSK89c2OP02a52o90JpCB16x8S

Biaih_50S8pv9NJfRAhfXwjD73QHpBQPFGEs3e18

trRWEETYi9fv7AQmqAitmNuY74DDJsa2Tddm2fbr

YsUScE706lKAqqN9VA0fcShmpMJFH_jD_KnfECfz

Oj8Iye_JGrw-Iodbpw6KFQGnIUTwsqm_BHdNbzyC

• Like 14

Hello Miguel,

this Revell Spitfire kit may be considered 'obsolete' by now.

I built it many moons ago when it came out.

Does not really resemble a 'Spitifire' in terms of shape and outlines, as you mentioned, it lacks the distinctive 'gull wing' shape, and the spinner is totally off.

Thanks to your corrections, it looks better! now

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Hello Miguel,

this Revell Spitfire kit may be considered 'obsolete' by now.

I built it many moons ago when it came out.

Does not really resemble a 'Spitifire' in terms of shape and outlines, as you mentioned, it lacks the distinctive 'gull wing' shape, and the spinner is totally off.

Thanks to your corrections, it looks better! now

Thanks Roman

I only found out about the flaws some time after buying the kit when it came out. Despite that, I decided to build it anyway!

I believe Revell replaced it later in with another more correct tooling.

Miguel

2 minutes ago, Mig88 said:

Thanks Roman

I only found out about the flaws some time after buying the kit when it came out. Despite that, I decided to build it anyway!

I believe Revell replaced it later in with another more correct tooling.

Miguel

In actual fact , Revell replaced it recently with a new-tool kit which is probably worse than the 1996 version .

• Thanks 1

A very nice looking Spitfire, especially considering the source material.  Your additions have improved it no end.  I always thought this kit had some really good aspects to it in terms of detail and panel lines but was seriously let down by the complete lack of the 'gull' wing centre section and a horrible spinner and prop.  I believe the new Revell MkVB also has some issues.  Odd, considering the abundance of research material available, not to mention that there are plenty of the real thing to measure up.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much everyone.

23 hours ago, rs2man said:

In actual fact , Revell replaced it recently with a new-tool kit which is probably worse than the 1996 version .

Really?! I had no idea.

23 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I always thought this kit had some really good aspects to it in terms of detail and panel lines but was seriously let down by the complete lack of the 'gull' wing centre section and a horrible spinner and prop.

That was exactly my feeling when I built the kit!

Miguel