HMS Barfleur, Frog 1/325

I thought I had posted this one here, but could not find it so apologies if I am repeating myself.....

This is HMS Barfleur, Mediterranean, late 1956. Built for a display at Telford back in 2016(!), using the old 1960 Frog HMS Trafalgar kit. I used only a few of the kit parts - hull, main deck, funnel and some oddments. The rest was a combination of the superb Atlantic Models PE set, some parts from a Trumpeter Tribal class destroyer and many scratchbuilt items. 

009 (2)

007 (1)

010 (1)

002 (1)

004 (1)

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Great rendition of this old kit Paul  :yes:

Now this also gives me a bit more reference regarding the positions of the armament I notice there is nothing on the midship platform is this where they are awaiting the Hazemeyer mountings?

beefy

Cheers, Beefy! 

The individual members of this class differed so much over time that it's difficult to be hard and fast about AA armament. I went by a couple of very nice and clear photos of Barfleur during her 1956 Med Cruise, on the assumption (right or wrong) that this is how she looked for Suez. Best advice I can offer is to study photos of Trafalgar from the period you are aiming for.

Incidentally, I relied a lot on the Boniface book Battle Class Destroyers, which I highly recommend if you haven't a copy already. Goes in to individual histories in some depth and has some lovely photos. It is available online from the usual second hand sellers, but I'm sure you could also easily get it via Interlibrary Loan. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bradley said:

Incidentally, I relied a lot on the Boniface book Battle Class Destroyers, which I highly recommend if you haven't a copy already. Goes in to individual histories in some depth and has some lovely photos. It is available online from the usual second hand sellers, but I'm sure you could also easily get it via Interlibrary Loan. 

Thanks for that paul will be keeping an eye out for that book I, am sure I can put it to some good use

Cheers

beefy

I've just added a "Thanks".   Barfluer rang a bell.  I still have my late father's Royal Navy records.  Dad joined in 1953.  After training at Raleigh and Drake he was drafted to H.M.S. Barfluer in October 1955 and served on her until March 1957.   Although I've seen a couple of old photos, they didn't really convey the ship.

Your model really brought to life my late father's first ship.  Thank you .

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jeepboy said:

I've just added a "Thanks".   Barfluer rang a bell.  I still have my late father's Royal Navy records.  Dad joined in 1953.  After training at Raleigh and Drake he was drafted to H.M.S. Barfluer in October 1955 and served on her until March 1957.   Although I've seen a couple of old photos, they didn't really convey the ship.

Your model really brought to life my late father's first ship.  Thank you .

I am honoured.

If you have any photos of your father on board you wish to share in this thread, please do. 

My dad would have joined the RN not long after yours. His first ships were Crossbow and Malcolm, then he went into submarines. 

Unfortunately I don't.  Pictures tart to appear after he met my mum in the late 50's and they tend to be against a backdrop of the side of a turret or something and show nothing other than grey steel and sea in the background 😞

Dad would not go near submarines.  He was a marine engineer.  Started as an apprentice in Pembroke Dockyard.  His dad was his foreman and therefore dad couldn't do right for doing wrong so joined up just before he was 17 and worked his way up the hard way.  Barfluer was one ship he mentioned a lot (that and the very dodgy steam system on HMS Triumph)