I`ve bitten the bullet,...... 1/72nd Valom Albemarle S.T.Mk.V! **FINISHED**

tonyot

I use Flickr. As long as you have under 1000 images, Flickr is free.

I also have a Village.Photos account that I use as a backup,if needed. That account is still working, so I'm not sure what your problem may be. Maybe something with your IP address.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info and comments everybody,....... I still cannot find my `buckshee' Airfix Beaufighter engines,...... but I`m still looking!! 

I`ve also opened an account with Postimage.com,  so thanks for the heads up,...... hopefully you`ll see a pic of the model with the wings now attached;

DSCF6736.jpg

It took some effort to keep the dihedral correct in one wing, despite the wing spar,... hence the tape!!

DSCF6737.jpg

The canopies have been dry fitted and next job is to fill the wing roots and sand them,... then I`ll finish the cockpit off.

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15

I was just idly thinking about you, Tony, and wondering how you were doing.  I've been pretty busy, so not loitering on BM as much as usual.  This seems like a queer choice for a mojo-restorer, but as anticipated, you're just the man for the job!

On 9/5/2019 at 6:40 PM, Andwil said:

It looks like the love child of a Blenheim and a B-25

Certainly a more accurate description than those chaps that said it was attractive!  Though the shot immediately above doesn't look so bad...

bob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

I was just idly thinking about you, Tony, and wondering how you were doing.  I've been pretty busy, so not loitering on BM as much as usual.  This seems like a queer choice for a mojo-restorer, but as anticipated, you're just the man for the job!

Certainly a more accurate description than those chaps that said it was attractive!  Though the shot immediately above doesn't look so bad...

bob

Mojo killer,...... sink or swim Bob,...... and I must be weird because I like the look of the thing,....... I agree that it looks like the love child of a B-25 but I would say that its father was a cross between a Beaufighter and a Whitley!!

Cheers mate

Tony 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Is that nose weight I see packed into those nacelles, Tony? Will the undercart hold up?

Mike

Hiya Mike,...... yes there are fishing weights crammed under the nose, inside the engine nacelles and even along the wing leading edges,...... will the u/c hold up?,....hell I don`t know,..... but I`ll find out soon enough mate!

Cheers bud,

Tony.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

This is coming long nicely. Don't be afraid to take a file or sanding stick to the outside of the transparencies to make them fit. A quick session with micromesh and a coat of Klear and you'll never know anything was done to them.

Ian

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice choice of subject and nice build so far.

Terry

Cheers Terry,...... I think I have the fuselage width sorted as the canopies fit OK now.

Well,..... I still have not found the Airfix Beau engines,...... the `safe place' that I put them in must be very safe!! Anyway,...... I`ve come up with an even better solution,....... thank to my mate Lee who gave me some resin engine nacelles agaes ago in order to build a Lancaster MkII!! Here they are alongside the model;

DSCF6746.jpg

So jobs a good one,..... and thanks again Lee you are a lifesaver mate!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

I have been contacted by one of the members here about fixing the problem of the overly wide greenhouse for this model. I have also noted the other issues present. I sell aftermarket resin and vacuformed parts on the internet. This member of the group will be mailing me the fuselage and clear parts from which I will make parts that actually fit without alterring the fuselage. I will have these sets available for purchase as soon as possible. Included will be two resin cowls, and a Boulton Paul quad gun turret. You will not have to rob your Beaufighter and Defiant kits any longer.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

While rooting through a shelf looking for something, I found this. It's an Aeroclub vacuform and white metal B.II conversion in 1/72.

I bought this way back in the late 80's. I took a quick measurement of the engine diameter and it looks like it would fit on those Valom cowls, too.

Not that you need them now. I just thought I'd put this out there.

48809856682_732c9ef999_b.jpg

48809360468_e7f4d15f6c_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

On 9/28/2019 at 7:35 PM, dogsbody said:

While rooting through a shelf looking for something, I found this. It's an Aeroclub vacuform and white metal B.II conversion in 1/72.

I bought this way back in the late 80's. I took a quick measurement of the engine diameter and it looks like it would fit on those Valom cowls, too.

Not that you need them now. I just thought I'd put this out there.

48809856682_732c9ef999_b.jpg

48809360468_e7f4d15f6c_b.jpg

Chris

Nice one Chris,....... I have that conversion too and I had thought the same,....... I may just save them for a Halifax, along with the air intakes and the exhausts. 

All the best mate,

Tony

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,.... a bit more progress,...... I have sprayed the black sides and undersides using Tamiya rattle can and have added the resin engine nacelles with the kit engines inside. I have test fitted the propellers and while OK,..... I may have a set of Aeroclub propellers spirited away,..... if I can find them I shall use those instead.

DSCF6828.jpgDSCF6829.jpg

I shall mask off the undersides now and brush paint the upper surface Dark Earth and Dark Green camouflage,

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 10

Hiya Folks,..... still pottering along,..... I decided to complete the cockpit interior first and sort out the propellers before moving on further;

DSCF6830.jpg

Here is a close up of the interior,.... some tidying up to do yet! 

DSCF6832.jpg

I removed some more of the nose wheel well in order to get the floor of the nose compartment a bit lower and the Aeroclub props (PO13) were found and painted black. Next the canopy and nose will be fitted,..... faired in where needed and then painting will continue,..... I`m also not happy with the engine air intakes so may replace these too?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

Hiya Folks,.... a bit more progress,...... I`ve closed up the canopies and also swapped the engine air intakes for a set from an Airfix Beaufighter,...... yes I finally found those engines that I was looking for,.... so cheers Bob mate!! I have also bodged up a BP turret with guns from a Hasegawa Liberator and opened up the gun troughs in the clear cupola which are moulded closed,.... strangely the kit only includes a pair of guns, possibly due to a reference photo where the lower pair are hard to see?

DSCF6850-NEW.jpg

DSCF6851-NEW.jpg

DSCF6852-NEW.jpg

And a close up of the nose, also showing the Airfix air intakes;

DSCF6853-NEW.jpg

So at least it is looking more like an Albemarle now,

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 11

Hiya Folks,....... another update,.......

Masked the upper surfaces off;

DSCF6854.jpg

DSCF6855.jpg

And then got started on the upper surface scheme,...... first an overall coat of Pactra enamel Dark Earth,..... with a disruptive pattern of Polly Scale Dark Green,....... the first coat of green has just been applied;

DSCF6856.jpg

DSCF6857.jpg

So cheers for now,.....all the best,

Tony

• Like 17