I`ve bitten the bullet,...... 1/72nd Valom Albemarle S.T.Mk.V! **FINISHED**

tonyot

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Looking good! Pactra and Polly Scale, eh? I didn't know you were an archaeologist too!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

LOL,.....Cheers Bill,.... I bought quite a few bottles in when they announced that they were wrapping things up,...... although I am rapidly running out now and seeking alternatives!  

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I have no clue how you manage to paint like that with a hairy stick. Lovely job!

Ian

Thanks Ian,.... I just try to apply as little paint as possible per coat and build it up mate,...... for large areas a wide flat brush also helps re coverage and distribution. Having had quite a break from it,...... it feels like I`ve lost the knack and I`m re learning it. ...... so practice is the key I suppose?

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,..... a bit more progress,........

Well I finished off the camouflage and then masked the D Day stripes off,..... using photos of the subject aircraft as a reference I didn`t measure them as they are quite rough in places,..... then applied the white using a rattle can;

DSCF6858.jpg

After a few more coats the masking has been removed ready to tidy the overspray up and also to apply the black stripes by hand with a brush;

DSCF6859.jpg

DSCF6860.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 13

Hiya Folks,...... well the painting is all but finished;

DSCF6862.jpg

DSCF6861.jpg

I have tried to keep the stripes a little untidy,.... but not overly so and have added some chips where the white paint was rubbed away, especially around the rectangular parachute exit under the rear fuselage where people leaned on the fuselage,... and also along the wing leading edges,.... here is the aircraft that I`m thinking of replicating;

aw41-albemarle-1.jpg

PS,..... Putting the real photo directly alongside the blown up model images,....I`ve noticed that some areas of camouflage need to be tweaked,.....especially just in front of the fuselage stripes and under the turret!!

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 11

Looking very nice Tony. I have the kit and keep looking at it and having built a couple of Valom kits, I think I appreciate what you are up against! 

• Haha 1

Looks very nice, Tony. :)

Back when I was a wee lad, I followed a photo in a book and made sloppy invasion stripes. I was chuffed, they looked just like the photo. But when my friends saw it, they all told me I was a hack and should use masking tape!   :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 6

38 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Looking very nice Tony. I have the kit and keep looking at it and having built a couple of Valom kits, I think I appreciate what you are up against! 

Cheers Mr.T,.....go on and give it a go,.....it is helping to clear my modelling block and bring back my mojo,......just dry fit the parts first,..... especially the canopies and then be prepared to do a little extra work. Good luck mate.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Looks very nice, Tony. :)

Back when I was a wee lad, I followed a photo in a book and made sloppy invasion stripes. I was chuffed, they looked just like the photo. But when my friends saw it, they all told me I was a hack and should use masking tape!   :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

Hiya Bill,.... you just cannot win can you mate LOL!!?? Mind you,..... did they even have invasion stripes when you were a wee lad??!!!! ...........Only kidding!! 

All the best an nice to hear from you,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rémi said:

Very good result for a kit that is not easy to built

I made one several years ago and i remember that I use all space avaible to fit wheight for having a plane that land on its front gear.

If it can help you, some pics of my models

http://lacitroenbx19gt.com/maquette/albemarle/album/

Very nice indeed Remi,..... your model is lovely,..... hope mine turns out as nice. 

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

I am glad you are back and I hope you are well. Crikey you picked a heck of a kit for a mojo restoration!!!

You have conquered it very well indeed both the kit which as usual, looks absolutely stunning and hopefully the restoration of your mojo. Great work Tony.

Keep up the good work.

All the very best

Chris

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony

I am glad you are back and I hope you are well. Crikey you picked a heck of a kit for a mojo restoration!!!

You have conquered it very well indeed both the kit which as usual, looks absolutely stunning and hopefully the restoration of your mojo. Great work Tony.

Keep up the good work.

All the very best

Chris

Cheers Chris,...... yeah I`m back and it seems to have done the trick,.....sometimes it is better to just dive in the deep end,.....especially as dipping my toes in the water wasn`t working!! Hopefully I`ll be putting the decals on soon,

All the best mate

Tony

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,...... another short update,.....

I`ve got the decals and fins on,.....although one of the tailplane parts fell off again during photography,....it is back on now!! ...... I did want to build V1767, V8-N `Now Or Never' but I couldn`t replicate the name as nose art,... so went for the kit option V1823, P5-S of 297 Sqn based at my old home

at RAF Brize Norton as it is probably the most photographed Albemarle so reference was good and it towed a Horsa into Normandy during Operation Tonga in the early hours of 6th June 1944 as well as another Horsa that same evening during Operation Mallard;

DSCF6876.jpg

DSCF6877.jpg

As an aside,.... I`m also building a few other models alongside this one and here is the 1/72nd Arma Hurricane Mk.I built in 85 Sqn markings from DK Decals,..... one of the perks of helping decal manufacturers with their research is that you can sometimes include options that you quite fancy modelling yourself!!;

DSCF6875.jpg

DSCF6874.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 15

On 10/15/2019 at 10:13 PM, CedB said:

Both looking great Tony :) 

Cheers Ced,

Well I`m almost there now,........ just re fitting the nose glazing which came off,..... u/c fitted, gun turret fitted, Aeroclub replacement props, exhausts etc;

DSCF6878.jpg 

After all of that nose weight and weight in the wings,..... did it work,......... did it hell!! No we have a tail sitter on our hands,..... a rather heavy tail sitter!!

DSCF6879.jpg

Before the windows are fitted in the rear fuselage I added some lengths of metal rod, painted interior green to represent the aircraft framework which can be seen in photos of the real aircraft. The photo also shows me that the serial decal has slipped down without me noticing (my eyes are going!),..... so that needs to be put right, as does the fin stripe;

DSCF6880.jpg

All the best for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

23 hours ago, tonyot said:

After all of that nose weight and weight in the wings,..... did it work,......... did it hell!! No we have a tail sitter on our hands,..... a rather heavy tail sitter!!

DSCF6879.jpg

All the best for now,

Tony

Sorry to see - but good to know,  I've got this kit in my stash.  Built by Gloster at Hucclecote - it's part of Jet Age history.

I think I'll have to disguise a tail-stand somehow.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2019 at 07:25, tonyot said:

DSCF6879.jpg

Tony

Oh :poop: !!

Chris

• Like 1

@tonyot

A couple of Aeroclub metal cowl rings and props might put her back on her undercart! Or you could go the B-24 route and put an oil drum or stepladder under the tail bumper. Mighty purty model, though! Wish the R-1830-powered variant had been proceeded with, as I sure liked the looks of those cowlings and props.

Mike

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 2:25 AM, tonyot said:

No we have a tail sitter on our hands,

On 10/18/2019 at 2:25 AM, tonyot said:

I added some lengths of metal rod, painted interior green to represent the aircraft framework

I'm guessing the two things could be related, just saying <_<  That looks fabulous Tony, I'd have given you some likes along the way but the flipping forum software is telling me I've been too profligate with them today so sorry, mañana, this will have to do for now. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:20 AM, stevehnz said:

I'm guessing the two things could be related, just saying <_<  That looks fabulous Tony, I'd have given you some likes along the way but the flipping forum software is telling me I've been too profligate with them today so sorry, mañana, this will have to do for now. :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve,... no the thing was a tail sitter even before I added the struts in the tail,..... you`d need a tonne weight to keep this one on its nose wheel!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 5:10 PM, 72modeler said:

@tonyot

A couple of Aeroclub metal cowl rings and props might put her back on her undercart! Or you could go the B-24 route and put an oil drum or stepladder under the tail bumper. Mighty purty model, though! Wish the R-1830-powered variant had been proceeded with, as I sure liked the looks of those cowlings and props.

Mike

Cheers Mike,... no worries I`ve sorted it. I didn`t know there were plans for P&W engines on the Albemarle,..... you learn something new every day! 

Well folks,..... I`m calling it done!!,..... I`ve added the tail windows, the anti fouling framework which prevented parachute static line strops from fouling the tail control surfaces, radio antenna masts etc,..... plus a length of clear sprue to keep the nose wheel on the ground,...... despite the mass of fishing weights fitted inside the fuselage and wing leading edges!!

So here it is;

DSCF6923-NEW.jpgDSCF6939-NEW.jpg

DSCF6931-NEW.jpg

I`ll stick some more in RFI later,...... cheers for the encouragement along the way folks and helping me to get my modelling mojo back.

All the best

Tony

• Like 16