Dniester River Crossing 1/35th

Hi, First upload onto this site. Apologies in advance for the cheesy water mark. It turns out some russian guy was randomly selling my images from Flickr as PC wallpapers. Should really see it as a compliment really.

Dniester River Crossing 1/35th Dniester River Crossing 1/35th Dniester River Crossing 1/35th

Heres some pics with the dio

heres some pics with it mounted onto its plinth

20190917_192439

20190917_192451  20190917_192459 20190917_192509 20190917_192504

Edited by Simon Errington
adding vid of close ups by request
  • Like 34

Hi Simon,

Welcome to BM an the best part of it: dioramas and more specifically, AFV dioramas!

I'm not surprised the guy was 'stealing' your images, because wow! What stunning artistry!

Please, please, please post many more photos; hundreds of close-ups and different camera angles including from the rear and sides.

How on earth did you get the (presumably resin) water to build up into splashes/waves over the front of the tank? I'm guessing there's some cotton wool in there, but still...

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon,

Welcome to BM an the best part of it: dioramas and more specifically, AFV dioramas!

I'm not surprised the guy was 'stealing' your images, because wow! What stunning artistry!

Please, please, please post many more photos; hundreds of close-ups and different camera angles including from the rear and sides.

How on earth did you get the (presumably resin) water to build up into splashes/waves over the front of the tank? I'm guessing there's some cotton wool in there, but still...

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

Thanks for the feedback, Yeah the water was resin, Smelly stuff. I used a whole load of different water effects but through trial and error found woodland scenics water effects built up to make smaller waves then I added small amounts of cotton to get a foam effect and then some light washed to make the water seem dirty. Im working on a dogfight battle of britain scene at the moment and have been trying a few different water effects to make a crashing ME109. The one in the pic is a very old sacrifical test buld but Ive learned alot from it.

Dogfight dio test progress. Messed about with sea spray.

Thanks,

Edited by Simon Errington
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Simon Errington said:

found woodland scenics water effects built up to make smaller waves then I added small amounts of cotton to get a foam effect and then some light washed to make the water seem dirty.

Hi Simon,

Great stuff. You're obviously very skilled with the resin. I've had a play around with woodland scenics' water and discovered a few handy little tips that might suit you down to the ground.

Have you tried mixing colours (acrylics, pigments, dyes or inks)into the resin before or just after you pour it? Secondly, and I'm sure you won't mind me posting a pic  of my 'discovered' water effect, but if you drip thin CA into the freshly poured resin, the CA turns into a.... er.... runny-nose type substance.... which can be teased and stretched and moved about within the resin or can be made to stand up and form ridges, bumps, waves etc. In the photos below, I managed to make a frothy effect for the wake behind the UC. Excuse the poor model - it was one of my early ones!

oQwjPF4.jpg

iPLKBpX.jpg

And another tip, I used torn polythene to create the splashes of water thrown up by the tracks.

yIylnKR.jpg

Hope you find that useful.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon,

Great stuff. You're obviously very skilled with the resin. I've had a play around with woodland scenics' water and discovered a few handy little tips that might suit you down to the ground.

Have you tried mixing colours (acrylics, pigments, dyes or inks)into the resin before or just after you pour it? Secondly, and I'm sure you won't mind me posting a pic  of my 'discovered' water effect, but if you drip thin CA into the freshly poured resin, the CA turns into a.... er.... runny-nose type substance.... which can be teased and stretched and moved about within the resin or can be made to stand up and form ridges, bumps, waves etc. In the photos below, I managed to make a frothy effect for the wake behind the UC. Excuse the poor model - it was one of my early ones!

oQwjPF4.jpg

iPLKBpX.jpg

And another tip, I used torn polythene to create the splashes of water thrown up by the tracks.

yIylnKR.jpg

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks for the tips, i shall try them out sometime

5 hours ago, Simon Errington said:

Thanks for the tips, i shall try them out sometime

7 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon,

oQwjPF4.jpg

iPLKBpX.jpg

yIylnKR.jpg

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

Ive just started the sea scape base for my dogfight Battle of Britain dio. Im not putting it in the WIP as im pushed for time so updates will be few and far between but decided to paint the water this time and stay away from resin. Its supposed to be a choppy rough english channel, the 109 is hopefully going to be crashing wing tip near the front with a spitfire peeling away at the last second as if hes just shot it down. My aim is to hide any support wires via smoke trails and splashes.

Sea base for dogfight dio. Just got to build and paint two planes now.

• Like 6

Hi Clogged. I was debating that but ive decided to go with it crashing as i liked the idea of movement and the challenge of trying to get it flowing as one scene with the supports etc hidden.

• Like 1

Good to finally see your work on here Simon. Next step to get you to one of our meets on a Thursday, I know how you're pushed for time with work and home-life, the invitation is an open one.

See you soon :thumbsup:

Brian 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BeeKay said:

Good to finally see your work on here Simon. Next step to get you to one of our meets on a Thursday, I know how you're pushed for time with work and home-life, the invitation is an open one.

See you soon :thumbsup:

Brian 

Hi Brian,

Thanks, id love to come along but think at the moment my wife would destroy me for having the balls to leave the house and leave here with a 3 week old and a 3 year old haha. Hopefully soon though.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...