Douglas A-4 Skyhawk STGB Chat

On 04/12/2020 at 21:25, modelling minion said:

I found out today that we recently lost one of our members, @Silver Fox (Andy Scott). Whilst I didn't know him personally I have chatted with him on this forum and he was always helpful with advice and willing to share his knowledge, Andy's avatar was an RNZAF Skyhawk so lets see how many RNZAF birds we can build in honour of him shall we.

The ANZAC GB is dedicated to his memory.  There is a double opportunity for RNZAF Skyhawks!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Well my 2nd  look at the GB calender, and I see my 'Movie Year themed builds' are coinciding with some GB's 

As this starts on my birthday it would be rude not to join ;)  I have the HobbyBoss 1/48  A-4E  and it will be a 1985  Aggressor scheme.  Time to start working on sourcing / making Jesters decals :)

What a great way to celebrate your birthday, by joining in with our A-4 GB!

You will be made most welcome and I am sure that you will not be alone in making an Adversary one, possibly even more than one who will build Jesters aircraft.

I shall add you to the still growing list.

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

What a great way to celebrate your birthday, by joining in with our A-4 GB!

You will be made most welcome and I am sure that you will not be alone in making an Adversary one, possibly even more than one who will build Jesters aircraft.

I shall add you to the still growing list.

Thank You :)  and my Year will be completed with Maverick's Tomcat in the F14 STGB   (in between hoping to complete a 33" Millennium Falcon (5 years and counting)  & build  Memphis Belle ,  F-5E Mig and Maverick's Super Hornet F-18E  for my movie builds)  but.... I see the F-16 and F-4 GB's both of which I have kits for , I might as well plan big for this year I usually only complete 4 or 5 builds a year !! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Thank You :)  and my Year will be completed with Maverick's Tomcat in the F14 STGB   (in between hoping to complete a 33" Millennium Falcon (5 years and counting)  & build  Memphis Belle ,  F-5E Mig and Maverick's Super Hornet F-18E  for my movie builds)  but.... I see the F-16 and F-4 GB's both of which I have kits for , I might as well plan big for this year I usually only complete 4 or 5 builds a year !! 

Sounds like you have a very busy modelling year ahead of you!

Well Im super stoked (Chuffed), I just received my Decals for my A-4K and couldn't be happier. They're small but so is the plane. I ordered on New Years Eve, but they couldn't ship till January 6th. I received them today. 14 days for a trip from New Zealand thats not bad. Definitely be ordering more from them in the future. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well Im super stoked (Chuffed), I just received my Decals for my A-4K and couldn't be happier. They're small but so is the plane. I ordered on New Years Eve, but they couldn't ship till January 6th. I received them today. 14 days for a trip from New Zealand thats not bad. Definitely be ordering more from them in the future. 

That is good to know Dennis on two points, one that you have all you need for what will no doubt be an excellent A-4K, and two that good customer service still exists. It means that any of us on here who were thinking of using them can order with confidence.

On 1/23/2021 at 2:59 PM, modelling minion said:

Getting crazy ideas to be building more than one Skyhawk at the same time for different GB's!

I had very similar ideas ...

... specifically, about diverting my ESCI A-4G "Aussie" to the ANZAC GB, as I don't seem to have much else that would qualify for that. But I will hold station for a while. I have two Italeri kits already on hand (A-4M and OA-4M), and a Fujimi A-4F/TA-4J "Blue Angels" in reserve. And I've ordered one each of the four Hobby 2000 reboxings of the Fujimi kit (A-B, A-4C, A-4M, OA-4M). I have several Airfix kits (besides the one I'm completing for the KUTA GB), but I reckon that will be a popular choice. I wonder if I'll regret not retrieving the Hasegawa kit at Christmas while I had the chance, but it is a really old kit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, klr said:

I had very similar ideas ...

... specifically, about diverting my ESCI A-4G "Aussie" to the ANZAC GB, as I don't seem to have much else that would qualify for that. But I will hold station for a while. I have two Italeri kits already on hand (A-4M and OA-4M), and a Fujimi A-4F/TA-4J "Blue Angels" in reserve. And I've ordered one each of the four Hobby 2000 reboxings of the Fujimi kit (A-B, A-4C, A-4M, OA-4M). I have several Airfix kits (besides the one I'm completing for the KUTA GB), but I reckon that will be a popular choice. I wonder if I'll regret not retrieving the Hasegawa kit at Christmas while I had the chance, but it is a really old kit.

Sounds like you are fully stocked with Skyhawks klr, not a bad thing at all. I am planning an A-4G for the ANZAC GB and might well sneak a Kuwaiti A-4KU into the Gulf War GB once my Hind is completed.

Hi there,

just to be ridiculous, if that is alright, I will enter the GB with an Airfix A-4B.

Not very original, but I love this kit, and I have two X-Tradecal sheets that are begging to be used.

Another A-4B is close to completion, so why not finish two of them?

Cheers

JR

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi there,

just to be ridiculous, if that is alright, I will enter the GB with an Airfix A-4B.

Not very original, but I love this kit, and I have two X-Tradecal sheets that are begging to be used.

Another A-4B is close to completion, so why not finish two of them?

Cheers

JR

Jean, ridiculous is what we do here, well certainly me anyway, so you are more than welcome to join in.

The Airfix Skyhawk may well be a popular choice for the GB but there's always room for more of them and it sounds like you have a few schemes to chose from.

Wrong nose on the Airfix kit to be strictly accurate but no problem to a man of your talents should you wish to do something about it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Marklo said:

Can’t see anything wrong with an Airfix Skyhawk I’m planning on doing one in this scheme.

dbf8d887-cc4d-4def-a740-6bebfbe2e547.jpe

The fake Mig-17 silhouette scheme is a classic. But.....

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Wrong nose on the Airfix kit to be strictly accurate but no problem to a man of your talents should you wish to do something about it.

As our esteemed member points out the nose will need adjusting to be accurate as the E/F has a much longer nose than the B/C that the Airfix kit is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

As our esteemed member points out the nose will need adjusting to be accurate as the E/F has a much longer nose than the B/C that the Airfix kit is.

I was wondering if the kit was different. Not a big issue a  nose job will give me something to do :) 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Marklo said:

I was wondering if the kit was different. Not a big issue a  nose job will give me something to do :) 

...'cause you don't want it to be too easy a project :lol: 

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The fake Mig-17 silhouette scheme is a classic. But.....

Have wondered about butchering the ESCI kit nose to fit the Airfix kit but I've never tried resin casting to create parts and the big issue is still getting aggressor decals in 72nd scale even if I didn't make a total mess of it :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Col. said:

Have wondered about butchering the ESCI kit nose to fit the Airfix kit but I've never tried resin casting to create parts and the big issue is still getting aggressor decals in 72nd scale even if I didn't make a total mess of it :hmmm:

There are some 1/72 Top Gun A-4 decals on a certain auction site at the minute, not sure if they are somebody's home printed ones or not though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

There are some 1/72 Top Gun A-4 decals on a certain auction site at the minute, not sure if they are somebody's home printed ones or not though.

I bought that set, also available in 48th scale, they're definitely of 'home printed' quality with a thick glossy constant carrier film and a little fuzzy on the image edges but the only available option at the moment.

2021-01-12_02-48-46

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

big issue is still getting aggressor decals in 72nd scale even if I didn't make a total mess of it :hmmm:

One of the reasons I like the mig scheme is it doesn’t need a lot of markings. Plus having an inkjet printer to hand I can usually find the right image on the web and print it off as a decal.

50450604616_018a3b59f5_c.jpg

this is a set I knocked up for my SeaBee and Hind.

50667351183_9821dbb0d6_c.jpg

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Col. said:

I bought that set, also available in 48th scale, they're definitely of 'home printed' quality with a thick glossy constant carrier film and a little fuzzy on the image edges but the only available option at the moment.

2021-01-12_02-48-46

Yeah thats the set Col, hard to believe that there aren't any commercial sets currently available for such a popular subject isn't it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Yeah thats the set Col, hard to believe that there aren't any commercial sets currently available for such a popular subject isn't it.

Tis odd, I’ve always liked the aggressor schemes and indeed I’m pretty much addicted planning  to do all my 1/144 jets in the various aggressor colours.

50251251453_420d6cbac2_c.jpg

50172945583_d271e618e2_c.jpgOne down ( the F117a) lots more to go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Indeed yes :( While I dare say the film company will want a fair commission on any license the lack of more general aggressor squadron decals for the Skyhawk is a strange one in my mind. They are such a cool subject and have such a wide variety of potential schemes.

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

One of the reasons I like the mig scheme is it doesn’t need a lot of markings. Plus having an inkjet printer to hand I can usually find the right image on the web and print it off as a decal.

50450604616_018a3b59f5_c.jpg

this is a set I knocked up for my SeaBee and Hind.

50667351183_9821dbb0d6_c.jpg

That is a useful talent to have :speak_cool:

3 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Tis odd, I’ve always liked the aggressor schemes and indeed I’m pretty much addicted planning  to do all my 1/144 jets in the various aggressor colours.

50251251453_420d6cbac2_c.jpg

50172945583_d271e618e2_c.jpgOne down ( the F117a) lots more to go.

Nice selection B) Are you planning to do the Eurofighter Typhoon as ZJ914? :wub:

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice selection B) Are you planning to do the Eurofighter Typhoon as ZJ914?

I haven’t decided. I happen to have two euro fighters and they’re different so when I figure out which is what I’ll go looking for camo schemes :)

• Like 1