Douglas A-4 Skyhawk STGB Chat

16 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

It seems I have a kit so I may aswell join in.

Dave

It would seem you do Dave, be a shame to not join in with it wouldn't it, especially as it is an OA-4M and you don't see them built often enough.

I shall add you to the still growing list.

And don't worry March will be here sooner than you think!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Thinking ahead - Can someone tell me what’s the best kit in 1/48 (or bigger) for the a-4

is it the 1/48 hasegawa?

Yes mate, in 1/48 the Hasegawa kit is still the best. I think their 1/32 one is still the best in that scale too but it is quite an old tooling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/08/2020 at 20:18, helios16v said:

Ah, if only I had the time.  I know all too well I'll end up getting spread too thin.  Part of the ultimate deciding factor will also be how early in the GB window I'll be able to start. 

Spreadsheet!  :smartass:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Spreadsheet!  :smartass:

It's already plugged in...but we aren't through November yet so I don't know what else is going to be fighting for my attention.  :P

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Yes mate, in 1/48 the Hasegawa kit is still the best. I think their 1/32 one is still the best in that scale too but it is quite an old tooling. 

Thanks craig then 1/48 hasegawa it is 👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, helios16v said:

It's already plugged in...but we aren't through November yet so I don't know what else is going to be fighting for my attention.  :P

Very true, we're in a sort of no mans land as far as next years GB's are concerned, we know what STGB's are going ahead but no idea yet which GB's will be joining them, or when.

• Like 1

I seem to have an excess of Lady Jesse decals.

I went looking through an old kit I had picked up second hand that had been started (barely), and there was also a bunch of decals in there I had forgotten about.  I don't think I ever pulled them out of the envelop before, because when I did there were 3 sets of Lady Jesse (original aircraft).  I thought, well that's funny...the Eduard kit has another Lady Jesse variant as well.  On top of that, one of the Eduard kits had an extra decal set in there!  So I have a total of 6 Lady Jesse's that I likely will not use.  It was just too funny to have ended up w/ so many w/o specifically buying decals for that aircraft that figured I had to share.  :rofl2:

50295855943_e470a4003a_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

So I have a total of 6 Lady Jesse's that I likely will not use.

I think that you might need to think again about that Chris and start building some Lady Jessies, that is a lot of decal sheets for the one scheme!

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do I see a VA-46 Clansmen set for an Scooter, its all the way to the right on the that last sheet in the lower right corner. Your lucky as Id love to get a hold of that set. 

You do indeed Dennis, its one of the options on the Victory Productions sheet and a very nice option it is too. I am lucky enough to have this sheet but I wish that they would print some more as I would really like to get hold of some of their others that I missed out on first time around.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I think that you might need to think again about that Chris and start building some Lady Jessies, that is a lot of decal sheets for the one scheme!

I pretty much already have my schemes planned out for the E/Fs.  I'll have a VA-22 & VA-94, then the 3rd I think I want to see if I can get what a need to convert to a Kiwi.  Time will tell, and I'm apt to change my mind between now and then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, helios16v said:

I seem to have an excess of Lady Jesse decals.

You do know that every single Skyhawk that was ever built was at one time painted up as Lady Jessie, dontcha?  :fool:  

• Haha 3

And I didn't see it in the corner, but there was a Lady Jesse on the Victory sheet as well....so that's 7.  :rofl2:

Ordered a Kiwi Scooter sheet last night, so when all is said and done I should have a nicely rounded out collection of A-4s.  Might still need a couple more down the road though...because I can see at least 2 on the Kiwi sheet that I'd really like to build.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I can see at least 2 on the Kiwi sheet that I'd really like to build.

I would struggle to narrow it down to two!

There are some really nice schemes on those sheets Chris, I think my favourite is one of the ex Aussie aggressors in it's original RAN camo but with Kiwi roundels.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I'm not averse to that opportunity to have one less box taking space :D

That's a Yes. 

Excellent news! I shall add to to the ever expanding list.

You do know that once you make a gap in your stash then instinctively you will feel the urge to fill it with something else. 😁

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You do know that once you make a gap in your stash then instinctively you will feel the urge to fill it with something else. 😁

That's the point, innit?
How many 1/72 boxes did you think this one takes up in space? :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I really cannot wait for this to start...

Don't worry, March will be here before you know it.

I shall be giving in to my need to build a Skyhawk and starting a Monogram 1/48 one in the Vietnam GB, despite my better judgement and already having two other builds on the go!

• Like 1

If I didn’t have 12 builds across 4 GBs I’d contemplate one in the Nam build

I do have an ongoing project on an Argentine Armada and an Airforce A4 Q and C on the go but both nearly done sadly...

I want to be immersed in A4s....

• Like 1