Douglas A-4 Skyhawk STGB Chat

On 9/14/2020 at 12:57 PM, modelling minion said:

Excellent news! I shall add to to the ever expanding list.

You do know that once you make a gap in your stash then instinctively you will feel the urge to fill it with something else. 😁

Or worse still, reorganise a large part of it, like a huge 3-D puzzle. I may be extracting an A-4 or two next weekend from the "remote stash", along with some other kits to be built over the next 9 months or so. Factor in some other kits to be disposed of second-hand, one to be given to a friend, some to be transferred "in" from my home stash, a purchase or two, and it will be major effort to not have everything fall down on top of me while I reorganise the edifice.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Dermo245 said:

Count me in please!

Fujimi A-4 in Aggressor scheme 👍

Cheers,

Dermot

Glad to have you on board Dermot and with an excellent choice of both kit and subject, I think that US Navy, Marines and RAN aggressors are going to be popular subjects in this GB, there are certainly lots of colour schemes for them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This little fella is bagged and on its way to me craig

spacer.png

and it has a little friend too... 😁 ive never tried to do a resin cockpit before so it’ll be interesting to try

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Dansk said:

This little fella is bagged and on its way to me craig

spacer.png

and it has a little friend too... 😁 ive never tried to do a resin cockpit before so it’ll be interesting to try

spacer.png

Nice choice Paul, the A-4M was a very capable aircraft and the Hasegawa kit is a very nice one. The resin cockpit looks very nice, lots of details in there that one of your excellent paint jobs will show up a treat.

Any idea of what colour scheme you will go with? Some of these were later used at Top Gun and carried very nice adversary schemes.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice choice Paul, the A-4M was a very capable aircraft and the Hasegawa kit is a very nice one. The resin cockpit looks very nice, lots of details in there that one of your excellent paint jobs will show up a treat.

Any idea of what colour scheme you will go with? Some of these were later used at Top Gun and carried very nice adversary schemes.

I’ve not thought it too much craig although oob with the hi-viz black sheep marines scheme could be a nice option

spacer.png

• Like 2

Well, I was trying to ignore this one to allow me some chance of actually finishing some models in time but I am weak. Count me in with a Matchbox A-4M which will be built OOB.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Well, I was trying to ignore this one to allow me some chance of actually finishing some models in time but I am weak. Count me in with a Matchbox A-4M which will be built OOB.

Dave

Welcome to the land of the weak willed Dave, you're among good company here. 😁

I built a few Matchbox A-4M's , if I remember right they come with Bullpup missiles.

You're are added to the list.

• Haha 3

Can anyone recommend a source of decals for an Aggressor Skyhawk in 72nd scale? My search skills are sadly lacking in any results, other than the Italeri and Airfix kits, and there's a couple of kits in the stash I'd like to decorate in a 'Top Gun' NFWS style :( 

5 hours ago, Col. said:

Can anyone recommend a source of decals for an Aggressor Skyhawk in 72nd scale? My search skills are sadly lacking in any results, other than the Italeri and Airfix kits, and there's a couple of kits in the stash I'd like to decorate in a 'Top Gun' NFWS style :( 

Try Furball decals, they have some stuff along those lines. I’ll see what I can find once i get into my office in a little bit 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Try Furball decals, they have some stuff along those lines. I’ll see what I can find once i get into my office in a little bit 

Had a look at their site but sadly not. Nice sheet of F-5E options in 32nd scale though.

• Sad 1

I found out today that we recently lost one of our members, @Silver Fox (Andy Scott). Whilst I didn't know him personally I have chatted with him on this forum and he was always helpful with advice and willing to share his knowledge, Andy's avatar was an RNZAF Skyhawk so lets see how many RNZAF birds we can build in honour of him shall we.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I found out today that we recently lost one of our members, @Silver Fox (Andy Scott). Whilst I didn't know him personally I have chatted with him on this forum and he was always helpful with advice and willing to share his knowledge, Andy's avatar was an RNZAF Skyhawk so lets see how many RNZAF birds we can build in honour of him shall we.

Id love to do an Kiwi scooter, if I can find decals it will be. 

• Like 1

Seems we need to go on a decal hunt for @Col. and Dennis, so if anyone can point them in the direction of either RNZAF or Adversary A-4's that would be great.

Dennis are you after decals in 1/72 scale or 1/48.

@Col. I believe there were some molder Microscale decals the covered adversary's from Top Gun and I have seen them on Ebay before now.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/microscale-72-544-top-gun-aggressors--1147749

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gekko Graphics was my go to for Kiwi Scooters after chatting w/ Rich.  I believe he offers 2 sets in both 1/72 & 1/48.  Not sure on other scales.  Be aware though that post took 4-6 weeks at the time due to Covid restrictions...so they may be a little slow traveling overseas.  Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind to allow for transit time if they are needed for a build.

https://studiogekko.blogspot.com/p/gekko-graphics-decals.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

@Col. I believe there were some older Microscale decals the covered adversary's from Top Gun and I have seen them on Ebay before now.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/microscale-72-544-top-gun-aggressors--1147749

Those would do the job grand Craig, good shout, I've an ancient paper copy of the Microscale catalogue that'd be worth looking through to get sheet numbers from and narrow down the search.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 10:29 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id love to do an Kiwi scooter, if I can find decals it will be. 

Hi Dennis,

Just catching up n some of these chats

If you want to do a Kiwi A4, then Old Model Decals may be

of help, they do 1/32 - 1/144 see link below.

Also if you click on RNZAF 85- Not current, (within the link)  it will give you later schemes

Old Model RNZAF A4 Decals

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 2