Douglas A-4 Skyhawk STGB Chat

Decided I will add a second build but will need to wait until April. Im going to replicate this photo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sea_Vixen_of_893_NAS_and_VA-55_A-4E_in_flight_1964.jpg

Turns out the 1/72 Hasegawa kit comes with the A-4 markings, and Ive got the Sea Vixen in the stash and the decals for 893 Sq. are at this very moment on there way from the U.K. Though I’m not sure if it will be wheels up or down, I haven't done a wheels up build since high-school. To give you an idea when that was Dire Straits “Brothers in arms” was brand new the same year.  

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

I amtempted to slot in, before the "main dish", this little Italeri kitty:

148554-11669-21-pristine.jpg

However it would be in the guise of Bu# 150001 A-4E from the VA-152 with a straight refuelng probe. 

I am mostly wondering about the loadout of this plane. Italeri provides only the LAU-3 Lauchers which are poured onto the pylon (sigh...) OTOH I have not seen an operational US Skyhawk loaded with LAU 3s on any station. Where those used at all? What kind of mission and additional loadout would would be suitable for the kit (The LAU's on pylon 2 & 4 as well as the tank on pylon 3 are a given).  .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

However it would be in the guise of Bu# 150001 A-4E from the VA-152 with a straight refuelng probe. 

I am mostly wondering about the loadout of this plane. Italeri provides only the LAU-3 Lauchers which are poured onto the pylon (sigh...) OTOH I have not seen an operational US Skyhawk loaded with LAU 3s on any station. Where those used at all? What kind of mission and additional loadout would would be suitable for the kit (The LAU's on pylon 2 & 4 as well as the tank on pylon 3 are a given).  .

Feel free to start another thread for this one, we can work out the weapons for it as you go along.😉

6 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

OTOH I have not seen an operational US Skyhawk loaded with LAU 3s on any station. Where those used at all?

The 19 rocket launcher like on the box picture? Probably. I did find a picture of Marine A-4F being readied for a sortie at a ground base in Vietnam and there was a loading vehicle with these rocket launchers suspiciously close. I couldn't find any evidence of them being used by the Navy. They are more a Air Force and Army weapon.

But it's not difficult to cut off. You can use one of those photo-etched saws which are very thin or a standard razor saw. Or you can use repeated passes with a hobby knife. You will be tempted to brute force your way through, but don't - that's how you get uneven cuts and the tip of the knife flying into your eye. Repeated passes, first light pressure to define the cutting line and then with moderate pressure will get you through eventually.

Or if you want to get creative, you can blank off the front and add fins to the back and turn them into Mk52 mines, because they are very similar in size and shape.

What kind of mission and additional loadout would would be suitable for the kit

If it's a ground support mission, the weapons could be almost anything. You can put single 500lb bombs or napalm or 9-shot rocket pods or Zuni rocket pods or more of those 19-shot pods if you have them.

• Like 4

On 3/10/2021 at 6:01 PM, Anatol Pigwa said:

According to this 1967 document (10 MB PDF), the LAU-3 (and LAU-10) could in theory at least be carried on any of the 5 pylons:

http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/A-4E_Skyhawk_SAC_-_1_July_1967.pdf

EDIT: This is specifically for the E, but presumably the loadout options would all be valid for the F as well.

Edited by klr
  • Like 2

Indeed it could @klr:

tumblr_oxflmcPDgD1qgggino1_500.jpg

I was wondering though if it was used operationally by the USN and found this little gem on skyhawk.org

From the VA-212 "Rampart Raiders"  log (I will be building a machine from this unit):

"May 1, 1966: Lt. R.H. Mansfield ejected (BuNo. 151179) and was rescued by a Navy helicopter after firing a rocket  from a LAU-3 which either hit his Skyhawk or fodded the engine while attacking a truck convoy 10 mile S of Vinh."

This proves to  me conclusively that the Navy used the LAU-3 on their Skyhawks.

However I have other plans for my build :) 

Edited by Anatol Pigwa
  • Like 3

This proves to  me conclusively that the Navy used the LAU-3 on their Skyhawks.

I think the question was more if the weapon was used operationally, and so would be appropriate to put on an aircraft with line markings and not a test or demonstration aircraft. We know they used the 7-rocket launcher, and they are very common on post-Vietnam A-4's.

But I was finally able to find a picture of a Navy A-4 with the 19-rocket launchers being used operationally:

762px-A-4E_of_VA-23_launched_from_USS_Co

(public domain image)

That actually looks like a pretty interesting weapon load.

• Like 1

I’m just setting up the summer modelling bench and shall be along shortly....SWMBO “suggested” I move my operation from the study to the garage...she doesn’t know why I was so keen....more space dear.....

51049018763_91d0efbd98_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Irons in the fire for a twin seater again the Kangnam kit is on hold really poor fit issues at the moment not the best start for this GB kind

of wishing I'd pushed the boat out for a Trumpeter 1/32 kit now ready for the GB's kick off.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Oh dear Steve, I really am very sorry to hear that the modelling gods have deserted you with your Skyhawk builds.

Hopefully something will start to go right for you with your builds soon.

Thank's Craig I'm cracking on with the Airfix kit as it's one of my favourite's if an E/F comes along for the set of Aussie decals I have

I'll build one I've a bid in on another but there's a few others interested but I'm not chasing silly prices.

• Like 1

Hello everyone :)

Is it still possible to join in on this GB. I've never tried being a part of a GB before, it was only recently I discovered all the many great GB in here. I decided that this one, is the one that i find must interesting. I haven't bought the model yet, but I will, as soon as I get a "go" from in here! I might just buy one anyway, love the looks of the A4 :P 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fmichelsen said:

Hello everyone :)

Is it still possible to join in on this GB. I've never tried being a part of a GB before, it was only recently I discovered all the many great GB in here. I decided that this one, is the one that i find must interesting. I haven't bought the model yet, but I will, as soon as I get a "go" from in here! I might just buy one anyway, love the looks of the A4 :P 

You are most welcome to join us on this GB, especially as this is your first one.

Loving the looks of the A-4 is a good sign, you are in good company. You are also our second Dane taking part so you are in good company there too as Paul ( @Dansk ) is a top modeller and enthusiastic member of our Group Build community.

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You are most welcome to join us on this GB, especially as this is your first one.

Loving the looks of the A-4 is a good sign, you are in good company. You are also our second Dane taking part so you are in good company there too as Paul ( @Dansk ) is a top modeller and enthusiastic member of our Group Build community.

Nice! - Thanks for a quick reply ;)

I will be back soon with more info on what kit, and the scale it will be in. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2021 at 9:21 PM, fmichelsen said:

You are also our second Dane taking part so you are in good company there too as Paul ( @Dansk ) is a top modeller and enthusiastic member of our Group Build community.

Thanks mate 👍 I’m not Danish though Craig, but I have lived here half my life.

• Like 1

I found my kit the other day. It is a Italeri 0A-4M Outlaws in 1/72 scale. After a bit of research, I learned the kit was produced back in 1988, same as me ;) . I guess it will be build OOB :D I will start a WIP soon :)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, fmichelsen said:

I found my kit the other day. It is a Italeri 0A-4M Outlaws in 1/72 scale. After a bit of research, I learned the kit was produced back in 1988, same as me ;) . I guess it will be build OOB :D I will start a WIP soon :)

Okay, maybe it is just me being a noob, but how do I start my WIP 😬 - problem solved :D

Edited by fmichelsen
  • Like 1

Sigh ... I don't know what happened to the last few weeks, but I need to catch up. So I' m working on all four of my Skyhawks at once. The contrast between the various cockpits is marked. Even the two Italeri kits (A-4M and OA-4M) are quite different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1