Douglas A-4 Skyhawk STGB Chat

6 hours ago, Scooby said:

I ordered in December so hopefully it is here soon.

I’m humming and hawing at what subject to do, I’m trying to do a subject no one else is doing. I guess I am lucky I have so many boxing’s of the Hasegawa Skyhawk.

If you have a good selection of Hasegawa A-4's the  you are indeed very lucky.

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Sounds fine to me, which kit is it?

Its an old 1/48 Monogram High Tech F-4E. Although if memory serves me the P/E parts didn't survive the disassembly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Its an old 1/48 Monogram High Tech F-4E. Although if memory serves me the P/E parts didn't survive the disassembly.

Very nice, I am actually building a Monogram A-4 as part of the ANZAC GB, I like Monogram kits and they are very underrated so I am very happy that you will be bringing one to the GB.

• Thanks 1

My 1/48 E/F/G arrived today....I’m quite impressed with it...I’d have preferred to do an A4-Q but really like the kit and the options inside...I do have a decal sheet with Brazilian, Malasian options, and of course multiple Argentine options, that I can’t use for this kit sadly...

50994214671_4d38f52475_b.jpg

50985265831_fd514068c3_b.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

My 1/48 E/F/G arrived today....I’m quite impressed with it...I’d have preferred to do an A4-Q but really like the kit and the options inside...I do have a decal sheet with Brazilian, Malasian options, and of course multiple Argentine options, that I can’t use for this kit sadly...

50994214671_4d38f52475_b.jpg

Good to see your kit has turned up and that you like it, are you going to go with the kit decals or would you like some Israeli ones?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I do have a decal sheet with Brazilian, Malasian options, and of course multiple Argentine options, that I can’t use for this kit sadly...

I worked backwards, found that decal sheet then a kit to stick them on then the bits to make the kit the correct vesion. I'm not sure that's the best route but it was fun :)

Andy

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good to see your kit has turned up and that you like it, are you going to go with the kit decals or would you like some Israeli ones?

Thanks Craig, so very kind of you, as always! I really would like the Israeli version but the blue wings USN version I think will look great too from the box so will probably give that go. I’d crack under the pressure if I made a rubbish attempt and ruined the decals...

• Like 1

Can I ask those in the know please? Is it just VOR rings and a different fin behind the cockpit that is the difference between a Q and a B/C please?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks Craig, so very kind of you, as always! I really would like the Israeli version but the blue wings USN version I think will look great too from the box so will probably give that go. I’d crack under the pressure if I made a rubbish attempt and ruined the decals...

Its not a problem, and if you have a think about it and decide you would like an Israeli one then they are here waiting for you. 

• Thanks 1

Found this while looking for something else. A Canadian Armed Forces Skyhawk ? 

https://www.flightglobal.com/cae-proposes-16-draken-a-4-skyhawks-for-rcaf-fighter-training/120709.article

Draken Int’l. But still a kool looking scheme. 

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=52621

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Found this while looking for something else. A Canadian Armed Forces Skyhawk ? 

https://www.flightglobal.com/cae-proposes-16-draken-a-4-skyhawks-for-rcaf-fighter-training/120709.article

Draken Int’l. But still a kool looking scheme. 

A very cool scheme Dennis and perfectly eligible for the GB too as it is in use on a flying Skyhawk. As would be any of the Draken International ones or those flown by Bae as target tugs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

A very cool scheme Dennis and perfectly eligible for the GB too as it is in use on a flying Skyhawk. As would be any of the Draken International ones or those flown by Bae as target tugs.

Weird when I posted the link there were two good sized photo’s of the Skyhawk. Now its only a ransom notice and a thumbnail. I took a screen shot of both photo’s and can share them privately. But don't have a right to post them. Maybe I can find another link ? 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 5:14 AM, Anatol Pigwa said:

I wonder if the last 24 A-4Ms with the ABMS had any capability for guided munition (LGBs, Mavericks) or where Bullpups and Walleyes the only guided weapons for the scooter?

Yes, they allow the Skyhawk to use laser guided bombs (and the Mavericks they could use were the laser guided E variant). Again, it is very rare to see Skyhawks with those weapons.

1 hour ago, spejic said:

Yes, they allow the Skyhawk to use laser guided bombs (and the Mavericks they could use were the laser guided E variant). Again, it is very rare to see Skyhawks with those weapons.

OTOH, I found a descriprion of the last Skyhawk A-4M (160264) which claims it was ony of two (the other apparently being 160263) wired to launch the Maverick. So understandably I am a tad confused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

OTOH, I found a descriprion of the last Skyhawk A-4M (160264) which claims it was ony of two (the other apparently being 160263) wired to launch the Maverick. So understandably I am a tad confused.

I was sure that I had seen pictures of M's with Mavericks, just goes to show how age plays tricks on the mind!

VC-5 is a test squadron, so you are going to see weapons carried by them and China Lake A-4's that you won't see on regular aircraft. For example, HARM missiles were never cleared for A-4 use, but the initial tests for HARMs were done on A-4's. There are also pictures of China Lake A-4F's with laser designator pods that front line A-4's didn't use.

While A-4M's were cleared for laser guided weapons, it seems like the few guided weapons the Marines had at the time were saved for their faster more high-tech aircraft. For example, the initial Harrier II's also had the same ARBS that the A-4M's had so they had the same capability, but they had the same mission profiles as the A-4M and they only used dumb bombs in Desert Storm.

• Like 1

Sorry but going to withdraw from this one.

Not much mojo right now and there's already a build thread for the option I was thinking of....don't want to be a copycat!

Will follow along anyway 👍

Cheers,

Der

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Jens said:

I did show my interest in the group build initially, but I will not be able to finish one of my un-started Hasegawa Scooters within three months. :(

Jens

Sorry to hear that Jens.

2 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Sorry but going to withdraw from this one.

Not much mojo right now and there's already a build thread for the option I was thinking of....don't want to be a copycat!

Will follow along anyway 👍

Cheers,

Der

Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us Dermot.

I understand a lack of mojo, its something that has been affecting quite a few of us. There's no problem with building more than one model of the same subject though, just shows how popular some schemes are.

Good to hear that you will be following our builds and jope that @Jens will be following along too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Have just seen my name on Craig’s @modelling minion list. 

Sorry Craig but I’m not going to be able to do this one. To much on as usual. Have a good GB everyone. 

James

Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us James but I completely understand.

Hopefully you will find the time to pop by and check on our builds.

• Like 1