Douglas A-4 Skyhawk STGB Chat

Hi all,

Seeing the popularity of the A-4 Skyhawk in many GB's and in actual service around the World I'm surprised to find that there hasn't been a STGB for the type. So how about we rectify that?

Having seen action in some of the biggest conflicts of the Cold War such as Vietnam, the Arab Israeli conflict, the Falklands and the 1991 Gulf War there is no shortage options to build a grubby bomb toting A-4 armed to the teeth and ready to move some mud somewhere. The aircraft has been operated around the World in a variety of interesting colour schemes and continues in use to this day, predominantly in an aggressor role, which brings me very nicely on to the US Navy and Marine adversaries used at Top Gun and other training facilities and you don't get more colourful than some of their examples.

There are also nice kits available in all the major scales and a nice variety of aftermarket decals and other goodies for those that feel they need to have as much resin and etch brass as plastic in their builds, you know who you are :) .

So what do you say? Fancy joining me (and hopefully 24 others!) and building a Scooter or two?

1. Me (obviously)

2. Valkyrie

3. Helios16v

4. Jabba

5. Romeo Alpha Yankee

6. Stevehnz

7. Corsairfoxfouruncle

8. Foxbat

9. Franky Boy

10. CliffB

11. Polybebber

12. Rabbit Leader

13. Arniec

14. Trickyrich

15. Madcat911

16. Zebra

17. TempestMK5

18. Hockeyboy76

19. Marlin

20. Almac

21. Exdraken

22. Col

23. Boman

24. Jens

25. Srkirad

26. Andwil

27. Gingerbob

28. MarkSH

29. stevej60

30. reini

31. Marcin Kaminski

32. klr 

33. depressed lemur

34. PinkThorn242

35. Bbdave

36. alt-92

37. Marklo

38. Dermo245

39. John Masters

40. rafalbert

41. Peter W

42. Scooby 

43.abat 

44. jb65rams

45. RJ-Wobbly-Hands

46. jean

47. planecrazee

• Like 1

Attention on deck, add me the carrier roster for this!!! Defo an Argentine A4-Q, and perhaps an Israeli, Brazilian and gotta have a Stars and bars number....

What a great idea!

• Thanks 1

I'll have a go at this. Always had a soft spot for the Skyhawk. Only thing I know for sure is mine won't have white undersides this time :D 

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Great idea, count me in for a RAN twin seater WHEN the time comes. :thumbsup:

Glad to have you Ray and with a 2 seater too, excellent choice. Don't think yours will be the only RAN example either.

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I reckon so, there're a few kiwi scooters I need in my line up.

Steve.

Nice one Steve, don't think yours will be the only kiwi A-4 either, might build one of the ex-RAN birds myself.

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ooooh ooooh me me please ooooh ooooh me please 🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️🙋🏻‍♂️ VMA-214 Blacksheep A-4M

Welcome aboard Dennis with what has to be the most specific choice so far :) .

25 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I'll have a go at this. Always had a soft spot for the Skyhawk. Only thing I know for sure is mine won't have white undersides this time :D 

Andy

Great to have you Andy, there are a fair few without white undersides and even those with camouflaged undersides so you have lots to choose from.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Scooter Corral.
48689133107_d4f7a8d900_c.jpg

That is a very nice selection of A-4's Chris, I like the look of that A-4SU, very nice indeed.

Also a very nice selection of Mig-21's, nicely labelled as to what they will be built as too.

2 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Hi Craig 

Great idea for a stgb.

Please put me on the list.

James

Great to have your support James, consider yourself added to the list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Welcome aboard Dennis with what has to be the most specific choice so far :) .

HUGE Blacksheep fan here. I am building one each of all of there aircraft. Ive done the corsairs multiple times, and i also have an A-4E. Someday when i get the courage to do another Harrier that will get done. Then there is the Panther, Banshee, FJ-4 fury, and F-35B that will need to be built. Im actually on the track of trying to find pictures. However i may actually build an OA-4M in Sheep markings, as i believe they had at least one on strength as a utility bird. 

Dennis

• Like 1

1 x 1/48 Hasegawa A-4C

1 x 1/48 Hasegawa A-4E

1 x 1/72 Fujimi TA-4J

2 x 1/72 Fujimi A-4F

1 x 1/72 Fujimi A-4C 

Surely its time to build at least on one those! You’d better count me in as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, polybebber said:

Depending on start and end date I could imagine to participate with either a 32nd scale Israeli A-4E Ahit or

a 48th plain grey U.S. Marines A-4M. I've got the bits and pieces for both, so for now count me in.

Lothar

Great to have you join Lothar, no idea what the start and end date will be yet but it won't be for a while.

Both of your choices are good ones though I must admit to really liking the sound of the 1/32 Israeli one.

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

1 x 1/48 Hasegawa A-4C

1 x 1/48 Hasegawa A-4E

1 x 1/72 Fujimi TA-4J

2 x 1/72 Fujimi A-4F

1 x 1/72 Fujimi A-4C 

Surely its time to build at least on one those! You’d better count me in as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

That's a good selection of Skyhawk kits Dave, like you say surely its time to build at least one of them, if not more!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That is great news Cliff, very happy to add you to the list.

Will you be building the Tamiya A-4E?

I've got a choice of three Craig

P1100849.jpg

The Ben Hobby is a re-pop of the Tamiya and I believe both have problems with the shape of the nose (more than this, I don't know at the moment!).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2