Douglas A-4 Skyhawk STGB Chat

dear god this one i almost here already!!!!

Plus the non-plastic thingy one start a couple of weeks after that one..........

Fortunately/unfortunately I need to finish my Phantom before next months club meeting, need to have it ready for the RAAF 100th anniversary display!!  God I'm going to be busy!  :frantic:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

dear god this one i almost here already!!!!

Plus the non-plastic thingy one start a couple of weeks after that one..........

Fortunately/unfortunately I need to finish my Phantom before next months club meeting, need to have it ready for the RAAF 100th anniversary display!!  God I'm going to be busy!  :frantic:

I think this is a very busy modelling time for a lot of us, seems that a lot of popular GB's have come at the same time.

I hope you get your RAAF F-4 finished in time.

Mine is ready to go, I do need to source some light gull grey, but plenty of time for that as I won’t  be starting until I’ve finished the Tiger ARH helicopter in the Anzac group build.

AW

• Like 1

I’m waiting for a conversion set from Phase Hangar resin for the OA-4, he has a back log in orders. 

My options now are either an Israeli or Kiwi Skyhawk (I have all the goodies for them).

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Has anyone a link to images of brazilian Skyhawks with A2G loadouts and/or of A-4Ms with Mavericks (not the Kanahu one!)

AF-1's with bombs are really, really rare. They are sometimes fitted with bombs, but only for photo-op situations, not for training. When they do, they are usually some kind of 250lb-class dumb bomb training round (that is, painted blue). I have one image of the aircraft flying with two of those bombs on a TER on the centerline, but that's it, and that's from years of looking for images of Brazilian A-4's. The aircraft is mostly tasked with air defense, so that makes sense.

If you are modelling the upgraded AF-1B Falcão, then those do have training bombs on occasion. If you are making a 1/72 version of that, I can help with the conversion.

I've not seen a picture of Marine A-4M with Mavericks - only the VX-5 test aircraft. It may have never been part of the arsenal because even on airshow loads where they put on some wild combinations of whatever they have on hand (two gun pods and a Walleye? Great!) they don't install Mavericks.

Edited by spejic
  • Like 1

Thanks @spejic for the info. I will then build the Falçao as an interceptor.

I'd like to like up your offer on help with the conversion, though most likely I would convert an AF-1A to an AF-1C. Woul the Fujimi/Hobby 2000 OA-4M be a suitable base for this?

As for the Mavericks/they show up on skyhawk.org.

I wonder if the last 24 A-4Ms with the ABMS had any capability for guided munition (LGBs, Mavericks) or where Bullpups and Walleyes the only guided weapons for the scooter?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Thanks @spejic for the info. I will then build the Falçao as an interceptor.

I'd like to like up your offer on help with the conversion, though most likely I would convert an AF-1A to an AF-1C. Woul the Fujimi/Hobby 2000 OA-4M be a suitable base for this?

Yes, it would be an excellent base. You need to modify the cockpit of course, and there are a few new antennas. The main difficulty are the new bulges by the nose. Here is a thread where I convert a Fujimi A-4M to a AF-1B. I ran into a problem with the canopy and didn't finish (and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it), but the construction tips are sound.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285507-172-af-1b-falcão/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

struggling to find pictures of Brazilizn AF-1's with anything other then AIM-9's.

I found this picture which us apparently the modernized AF-1 prototype

captura-de-tela-2017-07-26-as-09.59.07.p

this looks like a LGB on the starboard side to me. This being a demonstrator could be anything though.

• Like 1

I'm having a bit of a crisis. THere are multiple builds of my first choice of aircraft so I'd like something a bit different. I've seen some Malaysian decals by VFA Production(s) but they seem to be made of pure Unobtanium. Does anyone have a source for decals for something South East Asian or should I just stick with what's in the box (VMA-214 'Black Sheep')?

Andy

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I'm having a bit of a crisis. THere are multiple builds of my first choice of aircraft so I'd like something a bit different. I've seen some Malaysian decals by VFA Production(s) but they seem to be made of pure Unobtanium. Does anyone have a source for decals for something South East Asian or should I just stick with what's in the box (VMA-214 'Black Sheep')?

Andy

Andy it doesn't matter if others are building the same subject as you, I am more than happy to have multiple builds of the same subject, these are your models and you should build them in a scheme that you want to.

Which kit do you have? I am sure we can come up with something for you if you don't want to build your original choice.

Just now, modelling minion said:

Andy it doesn't matter if others are building the same subject as you, I am more than happy to have multiple builds of the same subject, these are your models and you should build them in a scheme that you want to.

Which kit do you have? I am sure we can come up with something for you if you don't want to build your original choice.

I appreciate that, it's just me being me. I'm sorted now anyway; I have the Hobby 2000 A-4M in the stash with some Brazilian decals but I also have something completely different in the post.  It helped when I discovered which types were used by which countries so I could widen my search. 

Just 1.5 Pz III and two African builds in the queue and I can get started. Plenty of time for the postie to get here :)

Andy

Resident fusspot 😜

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I appreciate that, it's just me being me. I'm sorted now anyway; I have the Hobby 2000 A-4M in the stash with some Brazilian decals but I also have something completely different in the post.  It helped when I discovered which types were used by which countries so I could widen my search. 

Just 1.5 Pz III and two African builds in the queue and I can get started. Plenty of time for the postie to get here :)

Andy

Resident fusspot 😜

Brazil does seem to be a very popular choice, we could end up with more of them in model form than the Brazilians have in service!

Interested to see what your other kit will be.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Brazil does seem to be a very popular choice, we could end up with more of them in model form than the Brazilians have in service!

Interested to see what your other kit will be.

I should have just said - it's a 1/48 A-4E plus decals and resin bits to make one of the Israeli aircraft obtained by Indonesia and operated in the three tone blue/grey/brown scheme. Gone a bit daft, but still way cheaper than a 1/35 tank plus tracks &c.

Andy

• Like 2

Ok so Im trying not to break any rules here, but thought Id post this. Rules prohibit selling/trading in group build areas but nothing that I can see/find about mentioning them. I have a few sets of AOA Decals in 1/48 and one in Hasegawa in 1/72 that I wont be getting to anytime soon or possibly never. They're all for A-4E/F’s from the Vietnam era and I thought Id mention here first, so that everyone in the group build could have first dibs on any ? Please D/M me for details or I will offer them in Sales/trades midweek ? 

Dennis

PS- Craig is this ok ? @modelling minion

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I should have just said - it's a 1/48 A-4E plus decals and resin bits to make one of the Israeli aircraft obtained by Indonesia and operated in the three tone blue/grey/brown scheme. Gone a bit daft, but still way cheaper than a 1/35 tank plus tracks &c.

Andy

Now that is an excellent choice sir, and was on my shortlist too. The FCM decals look really nice and the colours used later on by Indonesia will make for a unique looking model, I have even considered building one of their's in their earlier blue/grey scheme using decals meant for a Bae Hawk.

• Thanks 1

Having just found this build, I have a question. I have an A-4 that I disassembled many years ago for restoration. If I can find it in storage would it be acceptable for the build?  All the individual parts are separated from the whole.

• Like 1

@Scooby the OA-4M conversion is worth the wait!

Not quite decided which Skyhawk to build - it’ll be Hasegawa and 1/48, and a single seater. Probably either an A-4M using one of the options on the recent Caracal sheet, or a K or maybe Kahu. 

If I do a K it could be in two group builds at once - is that allowed? @Enzo Matrix what do you think?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zebra said:

@Scooby the OA-4M conversion is worth the wait!

I ordered in December so hopefully it is here soon.

I’m humming and hawing at what subject to do, I’m trying to do a subject no one else is doing. I guess I am lucky I have so many boxing’s of the Hasegawa Skyhawk.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Having just found this build, I have a question. I have an A-4 that I disassembled many years ago for restoration. If I can find it in storage would it be acceptable for the build?  All the individual parts are separated from the whole.

Sounds fine to me, which kit is it?