Douglas A-4 Skyhawk STGB Chat

24 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Oh no, I’m hoping I can make the one I bought into an A4-Q then....yikes Italeri? I just saw a version from 1970 on the instruction picture and thought that will do? Awe naw 

Any reason for not going Airfix? Their A-4B/Q should fit the bill. Or are you looking at something other than the OTS?

• Thanks 1

It’s 1/48 decals I bought for this very GB, I do have plenty Airfix 1/72 mind....so a B\C kit is what I after then I guess it’s just fins and VOR to make up or add? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Is the replacement from CTA or FCM by chance?

18 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Ssshhhhh :P

Oh dear, it appears great minds think alike :D 

Andy

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

It’s 1/48 decals I bought for this very GB, I do have plenty Airfix 1/72 mind....so a B\C kit is what I after then I guess it’s just fins and VOR to make up or add? 

I belive that the nose is slightly different, as tge B didn't have a radar contrary to the C.

A A-4B is what you are really after methinks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow this crept up! I'm quite a busy bee already but enjoying the time spent in the model room.

The world of aftermarket bits seems to be emptying my wallet at an alarming rate at the moment, I think I'll do a couple of oob builds to help me get back on schedule and to allow the bank account to recover 😅.

Dave

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

The B would be the best one to make a Q from, but as I said unfortunately any 1/48 B/C Skyhawk is as rare as rocking horse 💩.

• Sad 1

Can’t believe this one is starting next week! I’ve got several 1/72 Fujimi A-4s to choose from. I also fancy doing an Argentine Q from the Falklands war with the 1/72 Airfix kit. The Airfix kit is a nice simple build compared to the Fujimi. I struggled with the join of the front and rear fuselage on two builds I started for the In the Navy GB last year and put them back in the box. 

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, almac said:

Can’t believe this one is starting next week! I’ve got several 1/72 Fujimi A-4s to choose from. I also fancy doing an Argentine Q from the Falklands war with the 1/72 Airfix kit. The Airfix kit is a nice simple build compared to the Fujimi. I struggled with the join of the front and rear fuselage on two builds I started for the In the Navy GB last year and put them back in the box. 

Cheers Allan 

The Airfix A-4 is certainly an easy way to get an Argentine A-4Q, in fact one of the boxings even comes with the right markings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Sticking my neck out and guessing you guys are going Brazilian then. not having a Brazilian done, that's a different thing altogether!

Hopefully we we'll not have a Brazilian done, but will have done a Brazilian in the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Right, I think time to broaden my horizons, I’ve built 5 A4-Qs so this is a sign to make something else and where better than in amongst a variety community build...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Right, I think time to broaden my horizons, I’ve built 5 A4-Qs so this is a sign to make something else and where better than in amongst a variety community build...

Well you could do a lot worse for variety than building an E/F, if you want to know more about what you can build from the kit (with or without modifications) then drop me a line, I also have "a few" decal sheets for them if you have something in mind different from those on the kit sheet.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

That’s so kind Craig, thank you! I think something Vietnamy or is there a whole host of obscure options? 

Plenty of options for Vietnam based Skyhawks, think there's even one on the decal sheet in your kit. As for more obscure options there's Australia (again on your kits decal sheet but the national markings aren't the best), New Zealand (a few mods needed depending on which time frame of use you want to do), Israel ( do-able straight from the box as they used some ex-US Navy ones in 1973 as emergency war supplies), Indonesia (ex-Israeli ones but modified with 30mm canon and extended tail cone, available from Quickboost). Think that covers the E/F operators.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Plenty of options for Vietnam based Skyhawks, think there's even one on the decal sheet in your kit. As for more obscure options there's Australia (again on your kits decal sheet but the national markings aren't the best), New Zealand (a few mods needed depending on which time frame of use you want to do), Israel ( do-able straight from the box as they used some ex-US Navy ones in 1973 as emergency war supplies), Indonesia (ex-Israeli ones but modified with 30mm canon and extended tail cone, available from Quickboost). Think that covers the E/F operators.

Oooh, I do have a nice paint set for Israeli camo scheme...

• Like 1

Good evening Craig 

For this GB I plan to build a US Navy Skyhawk in Vietnam in my stash I have this  A4B

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobby-2000-72029-a-4b-skyhawk--1311294

and this A4C https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-f-26-a-4c--120650

But I don't know at all when I could start because I would like to participate in the Africa and the ANZAC GBs first

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Craig 

For this GB I plan to build a US Navy Skyhawk in Vietnam in my stash I have this  A4B

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobby-2000-72029-a-4b-skyhawk--1311294

and this A4C https://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-f-26-a-4c--120650

But I don't know at all when I could start because I would like to participate in the Africa and the ANZAC GBs first

Cheers

Patrice

Good evening Patrice, good to hear from you.

A couple of very nice choices of kit, the Fujimi kits are very nice.

I know what you mean about finding the time as I have not finished my models for the ANZAC and Afric GB's either, and my ANZAC one is a Skyhawk!

• Thanks 1