Dry fit putty

JCH

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good/the best dry fit putty.  You know, to temporarily hold parts/assemblies in place to check fit and then easily, without residue, disassemble.  

Thanks in advance,

JCH

As an example, two 1:350 WIP ships mostly held together by Blue Tack (you can see the grey / blue blobs sticking out) to get an idea of how they'll look and where further work is needed (Plus, I just can't resist doing it prematurely):

1g9wZFV.jpg

QRElBhS.jpg

xuLPbbP.jpg

Here, can just be seen under the Nav Lamps, Bridge and Funnel. Works great.

J0Hjrs9.jpg

• Like 3

FWIW - now that i think about it - I once ‘pre-built’ a special hobby CAC Boomerang using PVA glue instead of cement. This was to test the fit of the main components. Once I had learned everything I needed, I dropped the model into a tub of warm water, the PVA dissolved and, after a short clean-up l was ready to start permanent assembly. It worked quite well.

Steve

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Micro Liquitape has always been good to me - not sure if it is still available but I guess PVA (as mentioned above by Bandsaw Steve) would do a similar job.

I've been known to use GS-Hypo watch crystal cement to tack parts in place.  It's my usual method of gluing canopies down too, and has a very fine almost hypodermic application nozzle built into the tube :)

Great suggestions! 

I've since procured some Blu Tack (available at the Home Depot) with success. 

• Murdo - Nice work! 
  • Bandsaw - I love the suggestion of PVA and then into a warm bath.  That's awesome.  
  • Spad - Going to see if Micro Liquitape is available at my local hobby supply today.  I had to chuckle, being mono-linguistic the French and Russian YouTube videos were less than helpful.   
  • Mike - GS-Hypo watch crystal cement: Can the parts be detached after tacking?  Or is the more for holding in place for final assembly? 

This forum is the bomb!

JCH

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I've been known to use GS-Hypo watch crystal cement to tack parts in place.  It's my usual method of gluing canopies down too, and has a very fine almost hypodermic application nozzle built into the tube :)

Interesting Mike. Is it difficult to prevent clogging such a fine nozzle? That's my nemesis with CA...

14 hours ago, Codger said:

Interesting Mike. Is it difficult to prevent clogging such a fine nozzle? That's my nemesis with CA...

Piece of cake, as the cap has a blunt needle integrated, so when you recap it, the needle fits inside the nozzle so no clogging.  There's always a moment of panic as you try and put the needle tip in while the glue continues to come out, but I've never had one clog on me. :)