A-20G Havoc, AMT/Ertl, 1/48, "Perk's Pet", 312BG, Philippines 1945. Almost ready. Update 10-Nov-2019

cema_ga

Hi Comrades!

My recent build is old but good AMT A-20G. This is original boxing. I will replace decals with Foxbot ones. Additions includes Eduard brass (interior and exterior, partly useful), True details wheels, Montex masks and Quickboost engines and cowlings.

So far I assembled fuselage halves with some scratch additions, corrected the wing root profiles for better fit, and finished wheel wells and cockpit with some brass and scratch. The only problematic places are on gondola to upper wings connection. No major problems so far.

000.jpg
001.jpg
002.jpg
007.jpg
011-LI.jpg
012.jpg
013-LI.jpg
018.jpg
020.jpg
024.jpg
025.jpg
030.jpg
031.jpg
033.jpg
034.jpg
037.jpg
038.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 13

That looks really good!

I have a stack of theses things. Boston, DB-7, A-20G, P-70...

I built one straight out of the box that looked pretty good and I have one started with all the goodies you are showing off here.

Unfortunately I bogged down doing the gear wells and it went back in the box, so it's really nice to see someone getting further.

Keep it up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Liking your progress. She's looking really good.

50 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

That looks really good!

I have a stack of theses things. Boston, DB-7, A-20G, P-70...

I built one straight out of the box that looked pretty good and I have one started with all the goodies you are showing off here.

Unfortunately I bogged down doing the gear wells and it went back in the box, so it's really nice to see someone getting further.

Keep it up!

To keep from bogging down, you could try doing the gear first and get them out of the way early. Then you're just left with fuselage goodness.

• Thanks 1

Wonderful start and progression. Have seen others do the same with the support to correct the wing root. Do have a number of these kits in the stash and build a few for other folks. But have not done one for myself.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Unfortunately I bogged down doing the gear wells

Don't give up!

Generally, Eduard brass fits good in most of the cases - but this one is of their early products and fit is problematic (I just forced some of the parts to fit proper). Most of the cockpit set I just ignored and remained with the original plastic. Sometimes the scratch build is simpler than adopting problematic part. 

Can You post photos of the problematic fit? Let's try to solve it

17 hours ago, Thom216 said:

To keep from bogging down, you could try doing the gear first and get them out of the way early. Then you're just left with fuselage goodness.

8 hours ago, cema_ga said:

Don't give up!

Generally, Eduard brass fits good in most of the cases - but this one is of their early products and fit is problematic (I just forced some of the parts to fit proper). Most of the cockpit set I just ignored and remained with the original plastic. Sometimes the scratch build is simpler than adopting problematic part. 

Can You post photos of the problematic fit? Let's try to solve it

I appreciate the thought guys!

My Havoc build was probably twenty years ago when the kits first came out.

The problem I had was with that photo etch grid that goes at the top rear of the gear well.

One went in perfectly but the other wound up just slightly crooked.

Since I'd super glued them in I knew I'd wreck the part getting it back off.

So, while I debated the solution with myself, it wound up back in the box for many years...

Last time I looked at it I figured I'd chisel them both off and scratch build the part from strip styrene.

I just need to get re-motivated on the project...

After all the other projects I need to get motivated on of course...

Actually one thing I could use cema_ga, if you didn't mind, if you could post a picture of the Eduard instruction sheet for the gear wells I'd be grateful as mine disappeared some time ago...

Anyway, keep building this thing and I will live vicariously through you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

ctually one thing I could use cema_ga, if you didn't mind, if you could post a picture of the Eduard instruction sheet for the gear wells I'd be grateful as mine disappeared some time ago...

Hi!

Here is Eduard's original PDF

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/48126.pdf

And here is scan of the instruction and set (before the use😉)

005a.jpg
005b.jpg

Hope it helps!

Edited by cema_ga
  • Thanks 1

Hi comrades!

Fuselage assembled! Rescue inflatable boat was repainted in yellow, turret I assembled without the guns. Assembly was done with black MrCement Special - so You can see some traces of black near the seams. After some sanding I rescribed the panel lines and filled them with diluted paint to see the results. 

Lead balls mixed with "Micro Kristal Klear" glue was added to the nose - I believe it's enough, but I'll double check later, after wings installation.

Next stage - engines wiring and painting/weathering

Thanks for looking!

040.jpg
041.jpg
042.jpg
043.jpg
045.jpg
046.jpg
047.jpg

• Like 7

• cema_ga changed the title to A-20G Havoc, AMT/Ertl, 1/48, update 07-Sep-2019

Hi comrades!

QuickBoost resin engines were  wired, painted and weathered

After this they was installed in Quickboost cowlings and measured on the nacelles. Looks like the final assembly is around the corner...

064.jpg

062.jpg

050.jpg

053.jpg

056.jpg
058.jpg
060.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 10

• cema_ga changed the title to A-20G Havoc, AMT/Ertl, 1/48, update 09-Sep-2019

Hello CG !!

Real good job on that old kit !!

I follow on if you don't mind it !! since I have that same kit in my attic 

what did you choose as paint scheme ??

Congrats Again !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello CG !!

Real good job on that old kit !!

I follow on if you don't mind it !! since I have that same kit in my attic 

what did you choose as paint scheme ??

Congrats Again !

Sincerely.

CC

Thank You CC!

I chose one of four 312BG machines featured in the new Foxbot's Boston (part 2) decals . I still not received them (this is new product), so the build will be hibernated after priming...Until I will receive the decals

000.jpg

Sincerely

CG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

Thank You CC!

I chose one of four 312BG machines featured in the new Foxbot's Boston (part 2) decals . I still not received them (this is new product), so the build will be hibernated after priming...Until I will receive the decals

Sincerely

CG

Thank you, I did'nt the Foxbot brand !

I'll pay a visit !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

Those engines look fantastic.

You're really dragging this dinosaur bang up to date. 👏

5 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Some good looking engines. Looking real nice in those nacelles.

Thanks a lot! Engines faces are very visible - so, I haven't choice not to scratch some more details 😉 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Thank you, I did'nt the Foxbot brand !

Hi!

Yes, this is small but interesting manufacturer - if you want some pin-up decorated WWII plane or aircraft of modern Ukrainian AF (yes, also the pixel camouflaged ones)  - this brand is exactly what you need. I'm wait for his B-25 to be scaled up from 72 to 48 to start my Accurate Miniatures kit

Sincerely

CG

• Like 1

Hi CG. Are you aware of the correction needed to repostion the main undercarriage legs? It was discussed many times when the two AMT A20 kits were released (along with comments on those horrid tyres).

From my files:

A-20 undercarriage:

"Those of you that wish to have your A-20G sitting on the ground may wish to correct its "sit" by drilling new main landing gear locator holes 1/4" (6.3mm) forward of the existing locator holes in the lower wings (24, 26).  If the main landing gear is installed "by the book," it will sit too far back.  Naturally, I caught this boo-boo after the fact, but that's what I'm here for - so you don't!  It is such an easy fix that you really should take a minute to drill the new holes."
On pg 7 of the erection and maintenance manual it says the axle of the main wheel is 4' 6" aft of the leading edge. (unknown quote off 'tinternet').

Most builders seem to agree on that given measurement. :smartass:

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pete M. said:

Hi CG. Are you aware of the correction needed to repostion the main undercarriage legs? It was discussed many times when the two AMT A20 kits were released (along with comments on those horrid tyres).

From my files:

A-20 undercarriage:

"Those of you that wish to have your A-20G sitting on the ground may wish to correct its "sit" by drilling new main landing gear locator holes 1/4" (6.3mm) forward of the existing locator holes in the lower wings (24, 26).  If the main landing gear is installed "by the book," it will sit too far back.  Naturally, I caught this boo-boo after the fact, but that's what I'm here for - so you don't!  It is such an easy fix that you really should take a minute to drill the new holes."
On pg 7 of the erection and maintenance manual it says the axle of the main wheel is 4' 6" aft of the leading edge. (unknown quote off 'tinternet').

Most builders seem to agree on that given measurement. :smartass:

Cheers,

Pete M.

Thank You, Pete M.!

It's total surprise for me! I checked a number of builds, but this correction was not mentioned...😰

Fantastic to know for my A-20C future build, but in this project I'm afraid it's too late and I can't see how (for my skills and motivation) to move the assembled undercarriage forward inside the assembled nacelle.

I'm sure, Your info will be of a great interest for those who follow this build!

Sincerely,

CG

Still gonna turn out to be a nice looking bird, gear legs or no.

Not to hijack but this is picture of a Boston that I want to build some day as a diorama;

66330930_10157324916575797_7074744776502

The story says that they made it home even after bouncing her off the ground.

Tough ol' bird ain't she?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Still gonna turn out to be a nice looking bird, gear legs or no.

Not to hijack but this is picture of a Boston that I want to build some day as a diorama;

The story says that they made it home even after bouncing her off the ground.

Tough ol' bird ain't she?

Thank You!

This picture looks very dramatic! Interesting subject!

I have the AMT boxing of A-20B/C...Probably will build it in Soviet livery.

Hi comrades!

I decided to scratch build the wing navigation lights. It's my first time ever. I satisfied with the result. Also I added some details to the tail light interior (on photo Micro Kristal Klear glue is still curing).

Than, the wings were attached to the fuselage. Only small amount of acrylic putty  was need. Wing roots profile correction worth the effort!

Now, construction mainly completed (props and pilot canopy/turret placed for photos only) and the model is ready for priming...

But, unfortunately, I still haven't the decals in hand, so I'm postpone this build for some time (I hope not more than month ) and start my next project - Hasegawa's excellent B5N Kate in 1/48.

Thanks for looking!

070.jpg
073.jpg
076.jpg
077.jpg
078.jpg
080.jpg
084.jpg
088.jpg
089a.jpg

• Like 6

• cema_ga changed the title to A-20G Havoc, AMT/Ertl, 1/48, update 12-Sep-2019