1/72 Nieuport Ni-23 Eduard Weekend Edition

I’d have loved the fancy circle cutter, but instead I just bought some cheap metal punches off eBay in a range of sizes from 2mm up to 20mm. ( does that count as one downmanship I wonder)  Loving the Nieuport, silver finishes are difficult to get right. I use Tamiya paints and I found it works way better if I add a slug of light sea gray into it to give it a bit of body.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Hi All

21 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

This build is looking very good, now I kinda want to get some ww1 kits....

Hi Adam, do it! :pirate:

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Awww, sorry Steve, it was a bit smug of me :(

No worries Ced, I'm secretly coveting your cutter and programming skills  :wub:

17 hours ago, billn53 said:

Perhaps a touch of thin CA on the end of the Uschi line will stiffen it and help it pass through your turnbuckle tube?

Hi billn53, that's a good idea, filed for future reference thanks

12 hours ago, Marklo said:

I’d have loved the fancy circle cutter, but instead I just bought some cheap metal punches off eBay in a range of sizes from 2mm up to 20mm. ( does that count as one downmanship I wonder)  Loving the Nieuport, silver finishes are difficult to get right. I use Tamiya paints and I found it works way better if I add a slug of light sea gray into it to give it a bit of body.

Hi Marklo, one-downmanship, love it! I think that term might be replacing "Old Skool". Also, negotiations are underway to convert my paint to Tamiyaism.

Anyhoo, I got the gun mounted and remembered to leave a slight gap for the engine cowling

DSCF8589.jpg

Speaking of which

DSCF8590.jpg

So, out with the rigging spiders

DSCF8592.jpg

0,02mm for the main bracing, 0,01mm for the wheel bracing

DSCF8593.jpg

I dropped some CA into the locating holes on the upper wing and the thread sproingyness allowed the struts to flex into the right positions

DSCF8594.jpg

I continued with the rest of the tail rigging using one of those 'helping hands' things that's all crocodile clips and wing nuts. I suspect this particular 'hand' had come from a Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800 Terminator, as it grappled with, and eventually prized off, the top wing.

It's now recuperating under some remedial Contacta

DSCF8595.jpg

And I'm on the hunt for one of those wooden holding jig things that have appeared on these pages occasionally.

They're made from trees, much more benign.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Nice work Steve on the tiny rigging - I love the photo on top of the TET bottle; puts things 'in perspective'… :) 

1 hour ago, ProfSparks said:

And I'm on the hunt for one of those wooden holding jig things that have appeared on these pages occasionally

Ah, now you're talking…

Sphere products are one of my favourites and I can recommend their painting stands (the ones with the pin vice) - this one for 1/72. The pin thing that goes in the drilled out prop hole is great for handling the model, especially during painting.

I also have the stand I use for applying transfers and generally holding things steady but flat.

You might also want a Biplane jig like this one. I have the big one ready for my planned WnW build.

Those last two both from JH Models and available from Paul at Modelling Tools (as linked)

• Thanks 1

Hi All

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Steve on the tiny rigging - I love the photo on top of the TET bottle; puts things 'in perspective'… :) 

Ah, now you're talking…

Sphere products are one of my favourites and I can recommend their painting stands (the ones with the pin vice) - this one for 1/72. The pin thing that goes in the drilled out prop hole is great for handling the model, especially during painting.

I also have the stand I use for applying transfers and generally holding things steady but flat.

You might also want a Biplane jig like this one. I have the big one ready for my planned WnW build.

Those last two both from JH Models and available from Paul at Modelling Tools (as linked)

Hi Ced, thanks for the links, I've ordered a large and a small biplane assembly jigs, bound to have a 1/32 and a 1/48 on the go together sometime :rolleyes:

How does that Sphere Products pin vice work, does something expand in the hole? (Doesn't it always...)

Anyhoo, while finishing the stringing I managed to knock the rudder off, that order better come through quick.

DSCF8597.jpg

Wheels and whatnots

DSCF8598.jpg

And she's finished

DSCF8599.jpg

DSCF8600.jpg

DSCF8601.jpg

DSCF8602.jpg

I'll try for a RFI when the weather breaks, but for now she's bagged and tagged.

Thanks for your company and see you on the next one.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Very nicely done, she looks a treat! Personally I wouldn't (and don't) bother with turnbuckles in 1:72. They simply can't be seen in real life unless you're right up close, let alone in this scale!

Ian

• Like 2

What a little beauty, brilliant job Steve :) 

2 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

How does that Sphere Products pin vice work

Here's one of mine:

26586653289_0074890899_z.jpg

You have to be prepared to drill out some kits 'prop holes' with one of the supplied drills and insert one of the 'grip pins':

26586658669_bd9cd21eff_z.jpg

You stick this in the hole and as you tighten the screw the 'gripper' moves back and grips the back of the hole, avoiding any damage. You can see it gripping in its usual home in the stand:

38331272132_0b9f84c02a_z.jpg

You'll see them in use in most of my single-engine builds. Useful for general handling and 'holding' using the main stand but especially for useful for holding during painting:

48362911216_abb71631cb_z.jpg

Recommended. I should get commission!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1