Tamiya 1/35 Cromwell, oob. And Dragon Firefly Vc.

Jasper dog

On 25/11/2019 at 23:49, Jasper dog said:

Glad Telford was a success for you, anything we've seen here on BM?

Quite the conundrum re spending, relief to come away with a wallet intact but all those missed bargains / essential purchases.....

You should be commended for your restraint.

Yes, Centaur, Israeli Improvised Armoured Car and Austin Tilly.

With regards to my spending, I did buy a couple of kits for future projects, but most of my money went on things like a wooden stand to store Vallejo bottles in. But I did enjoy the show.

John.

• Like 1

Snail pace modelling proceeds, Firefly edging closer to the finish line:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stowage painted, weathered and tied down along with spare roadwheels.

Hatches fitted and insides painted, drivers hatch loose as I'd need a periscope for it and another figure to fill the hole....

.50 painted and mounted in its cradle, not yet fixed permanently to turret roof as undecided upon position. This will probably be dictated upon once figures acquired and fitted.

Pigment still in raw state, undecided whether to tone down with pigment fixer?

Reaching the point where I don't want to do too much more to it, sometimes its possible to get carried away and overcook it!

The aim had been for something dry, dusty and travelling along a rough dirt track somewhere in Normandy.

Until next time.

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 8

Far to kind Francis, if you fancy one there has been a number of Dragon Fireflys going fairly cheaply on Ebay recently. (Unfortunately the Tasca one is still expensive).

Of the Shermans its probably my favourite. Particularly like the wartime techniques of Sgt George Dring MM whilst commander of his.

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The pair essentially done.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ignore the boss eyed wally that's climbed into the Firefly turret, I've pinched him from a Jagdtiger as I trial.

What I need help with is a base. Basically I'm thinking small random shape just big enough for one. The idea being a dry dirt track with grass, possibly long'ish, either side and short between the ruts and maybe a tree trunk to give a little vertical interest. 

I've some das clay to create the "ground", contours,  depressions etc, do I then paint this an appropriate colour, then acquire some static grass and an applicator and go to town with it?

I'm curious to know if I'm barking up the right tree before going and spending money on the above mentioned bits (applicators seem to vary in price from £15-£60 for one thing). If so, any recommendation? Type, colour, length etc of static grass and the best way to apply, (glues etc) the applicator itself...

To be honest any suggestions on the best way to achieve the desired objective would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to look in.

Darryl 

• Like 11

They both turned out really well Darryl. In my opinion, and I stress that this is just my personal opinion, keep it simple. Unless I was going for a diorama, I don't see the need to spend a load of money on stuff for a base. You can achieve a dirt track with some basic household filler and paint it up and use pigments on it, then add some clumps of grass along the edges.

John.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

They both turned out really well Darryl. In my opinion, and I stress that this is just my personal opinion, keep it simple. Unless I was going for a diorama, I don't see the need to spend a load of money on stuff for a base. You can achieve a dirt track with some basic household filler and paint it up and use pigments on it, then add some clumps of grass along the edges.

John.

Thanks John, suggested the clay as I've some knocking about but I suspect the filler is probably better for creating what I had in mind....

I had been thinking it more cost effective to use static grass but i suppose the clumps for a small "vignette" would be perfectly good.

This is completely new ground to me, never having got around to it before, so all this info and suggestions are most gratefully received.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Very nice Darryl, they have both come out a treat. I agree with John, keeping it simple would set them off nicely but keep the focus on the tanks.

Thanks, yes simplicity is the key.....

2 hours ago, gerald.b said:

Very nice job Darryl :clap::clap::clap::clap: !!!!!!! 

Thanks Gerald.

Good of you to look in and take the time to comment, much appreciated. 

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

Honestly, I love them, I don't know which one I like best ... lol.
When they are "officially" finished, you have to take pictures with some more light, in order to see the details and their final appearance.

On the other hand, I understand you perfectly with the base, it happens to me exactly the same, I have never done anything serious with that issue, until the GB PzIV model, which I did a StugIV of Italeri (and I do not know if you got to see it) . I might give you some idea about it ...

If you are interested, tell me and I pass you the link of the WIP, RTI, and Dio to Inspection.

As you say the mates, you do not have to spend much to make a "decent" base, I used (I tried a thousand things before ... and after), litter for cats, crushed on carpenter's glue, and then painted for the ground, and turfs of grass everywhere (bought), and something already more expensive, trees and shrubs, also bought.
The latter, I have left over, so I have them for another occasion, so "they have been profitable" ... lol.

Merry Chritsmas :santa:

• Like 1

Good morning Francis, couldn't decided myself, to be honest they are both my favourites so far. The Cromwell was typical Tamiya can't go wrong with it, apart from the tracks breaking with a sniff of Tamiya extra thin. The Firefly, little more involved but nothing too difficult, especially after replacing the multipart indi-link track with AFV Club tracks.

Hopefully, if I've been good,  Santa will be bringing me a photo light tent/box so no more photos spoiled by poor lighting or kitchen utensil in the back ground. 😇

I'd be interested to see your Stug, think I vaguely remember it but always enjoy your work and its good to get more ideas.

Thanks again and a Merry Christmas to you to.

Darryl

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Good morning Francis, couldn't decided myself, to be honest they are both my favourites so far. The Cromwell was typical Tamiya can't go wrong with it, apart from the tracks breaking with a sniff of Tamiya extra thin. The Firefly, little more involved but nothing too difficult, especially after replacing the multipart indi-link track with AFV Club tracks.

Hi Darryl, 

Undoubtedly the equipment for the photos, will help the shots to be of quality.
Here I pass the links in case you are interested in taking a look, In the first, when you get there, there will be another corresponding to the model WIP. The second is for the Diorames section, I don't know if I took a different photo ...

Cheers Darryl :santa:

• Like 1