Tamiya 1/35 Cromwell, oob. And Dragon Firefly Vc.

Jasper dog

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Both looking good Darryl, especially the Cromwell. Once you have the matt coat on, you could try some of Mig's Allied Green Fading pigment. It does lighten up areas.

John.

That's a new one on me, faded green pigment, I'll perhaps have to look into that.

Want to go for the dry, dusty look rather than wet and muddy.

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 00:28, Ripaman said:

I agree with John, both are coming along brilliantly Darryl, :like:

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard, kind of you to say so.

Work proceeding at snail pace at present, hope to have the Cromwell weathered and

Sherman painted by end of weekend.

Cheers 

Darryl 

This last weeks progress. Cromwell, initial weathering done.spacer.png

Had planned on the dry dusty look....

Tried a new (to me) product, Ammo/Mig washable dust, perhaps got carried away.

Rather than dry and dusty looks more like driven through a river and left to dry!

Really shouldn't experiment on a kit in progress...

spacer.png

spacer.png

After a day or two it started to grow on me.

However after a coat of matt...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

The washable dust has toned down quite considerably. 

Perhaps add a few chips, and scuffs etc and time to add tracks, tools, stowage etc etc.

Firefly has been painted and awaits a gloss coat prior to decals etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now with highlights..

Highlight colour will work well as basis for chips, scuffs and scratches. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next job gloss coat and decals.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 12

On 15/10/2019 at 11:32, Bullbasket said:

They both look good Darryl. The matt coat certainly reduced the overall effect of the dust wash. Looks good.

John.

On 15/10/2019 at 12:59, fatfingers said:

Aye up Darryl.

Both looking good and nice work with the dust on the Cromwell.

Regards,

Steve

On 15/10/2019 at 13:23, bigfoot said:

They both look cracking, the dust effects look good especially after the matt coat.

Thanks chaps, the Ammo/mig dust needs a bit more experimentation yet but I'll save that for another time. 

I was quite surprised myself in the change after its matt coat.

I've added a few chips and some graphite from a pencil around the exposed edges but I think I'll crack on with tracks, stowage etc before I do something silly with it.

Could just be me but it reaches a point with a kit, if I'm happy with it, i don't want to push my luck by playing around with it anymore!

The Firefly hasn't has much of a look in since painted at the weekend and is still waiting its gloss coat.

Thanks once again for looking and taking the time to comment.

Much appreciated 

Darryl 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2019 at 08:36, Redcoat2966 said:

Looking good.....I like the dust wash. Something I'm yet to take the plunge on, with one of mine.......must give it a go on the next armour project.....

Nice projects so far.....looking forward to completion....:yes:

Simon.

Thanks Simon, must confess the dust wash was probably luck as much as anything else, I'll keep tinkering with the stuff but it has potential, should really experiment on something that's not nearly finished!

Really want to get this one finished now.

On 18/10/2019 at 09:16, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent work, Darryl! 👍 The Firefly and Cromwell painting looks extremely well, you’re having a very good skills.

Thanks Nikolay, I'm enjoying playing around with the paint modulation and weathering at present, just seems to be working for me.  

Must confess, if it hadn't been for Britmodeller and spending hours looking at other people's builds I'd probably still be brush painting them in a straight Humbrol 30 green!

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Much appreciated 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Super slow progress at present alas, as people say life gets in the way. Why would I want to be "playing with my models" when I can be re-digging the dyke, attending to a leaking roof or unblocking a sewer inspection chamber!🤢

Anyway progress as is, Cromwell has its ancillary bits a bobs attached, tools, hatches and tracks.

First tracks, painted and glued together, remove the idler and slip the track over the wheels fine, until the track breaks. I assumed perhaps the Tamiya extra thin cement had weaked the rubber, remove the track again and repair with some very basic stitching this is now hidden behind one of the fenders. Second track went on fine all superglued in situ on to the top of the road wheels. That is until picking it up the following day and this track had broken, too late to stitch and hide so stretched into position and superglued onto bottom of wheels. Anyone else had tamiya rubber band tracks separating like this?

Everything else went together as it should.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Note gap under middle road wheel on first pic, result of breakage whilst in situ.

Awaiting pigment weathering once finished, aerials to be fitted, tow cables, commander and stowage, and heres the issue. Perhaps should have considered this earlier, I'm struggling to find anywhere to tie it down to! Don't want tie downs just ending and I prefer to tie the stowage down rather than glue. Will need to think this over. 

Firefly has been decalled and a second gloss coated to seal in. No pics just yet as been concentrating on the Cromwell.

Looking forward to getting something finished I'm keen to crack on with something new.....🤔

Apologies again for lack of progress. 

Thanks for looking.

Darryl 

• Like 10

It's looking good Darryl. I've never had the tracks split. I used Tamiya's tracks on my Firefly, but I find them unwieldy. Next Tamiya build it will be back to Panda Plastics or Fruilmodel. Incidently, just as a bit of info, Cromwell's tracks usually touched the tops of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th roadwheels, unless of course they hadn't been tensioned properly. 

John.

• Thanks 1

On 26/10/2019 at 09:40, fatfingers said:

Aye Up Darryl.

Good save with the track and looking great all round! 

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, no idea why the tracks have seperated, bit wary about handling them too much, never had them do it before.

19 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Just catching up with these Darryl, now that our wifi is downloading the pics for me.

They both look very good and the dust wash looks a great product, just going to have a look for some for myself. 👍🏼

Roger. 

Thanks Roger, the dust wash works quite well. Might need to experiment a little more with it and perhaps on an already matt finish.

20 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's looking good Darryl. I've never had the tracks split. I used Tamiya's tracks on my Firefly, but I find them unwieldy. Next Tamiya build it will be back to Panda Plastics or Fruilmodel. Incidently, just as a bit of info, Cromwell's tracks usually touched the tops of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th roadwheels, unless of course they hadn't been tensioned properly. 

John.

Thanks John, as I've mentioned I'm a bit dubious over handling them to much in case they break somewhere else, might have to leave them be and suggest they are a little slack.

Good to know for the Centaur when I get around to it.

Just me, but I'm a little put off Fruils as there more expensive than the kit itself.

However never say never!

Thanks again for looking and taking the time to comment, much appreciated. 

Darryl 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Good to know for the Centaur when I get around to it.

Just me, but I'm a little put off Fruils as there more expensive than the kit itself.

However never say never!

I used Fruils on my Centaur and I picked them up at Telford  couple of years ago for £20. Very little clean up and IMO they go together easily (and you end up with a nice length of .5mm brass wire left over at the end).

John.

43 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I used Fruils on my Centaur and I picked them up at Telford  couple of years ago for £20. Very little clean up and IMO they go together easily (and you end up with a nice length of .5mm brass wire left over at the end).

John.

Your most probably right, can't say I'm not tempted, just tight!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies once more for lack of updates, doesn't time fly by...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cromwell edging ever closer to the finish line, stowage added, combination of budget stowage set courtesy of Ebay and a few items from a Red dog stowage set to supplement it. As I don't like glueing the stowage down in case I change my mind everything is loosely tied down as per the original.

Aerials are bristles pinched from a handy paintbrush. The towcable is as supplied by tamiya. Final weathering (up to now at least) is done by pigment, Mig Europe dust, held in place with pigment fixer (ak) applied via airbrush. 

Little more progress now with the Firefly, gloss coat done, Halfords lacquer, and decals done!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decals went on ok, little silvering on recognition star but several applications of Micro sol sorted that out.

Since taking these pics I've done initial weathering with washes etc and hope to post these pics asap. Would the rear idlers be bare metal where they are in contact with the track?

Thanks for looking in

Darryl

• Like 8

Slightly better and more up to date pics!

Cromwell now with commander, is it just me or is he a little small? Couldn't paint the eye balls no matter what, never mind the irises!!

spacer.png

Think this is pretty much done unless I can create a base, first time for everything!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Firefly, as mentioned now with initial weathering with Dak wash and rain streaks, AK if I remember right, sealed with a Matt varnish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tyres of road wheel painted with Vallejo dark rubber. 

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 10

There's a case for not painting the whites of the eyes in 1/35 but if you want go give this a go...

Step 1. Paint the eye any dark colour, brown, very dark blue or grey usually work best. 

Step 2. With a sharpened cocktail stick add the whites using a pale flesh colour or very light grey. Not white.

Put both eyeball dots in either the left or right of the eyes so the figure appears to be looking left or to the right. That way you only need to do it twice and also avoid trying to get four white dots even.

Roger.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

There's a case for not painting the whites of the eyes in 1/35 but if you want go give this a go...

Step 1. Paint the eye any dark colour, brown, very dark blue or grey usually work best. 

Step 2. With a sharpened cocktail stick add the whites using a pale flesh colour or very light grey. Not white.

Put both eyeball dots in either the left or right of the eyes so the figure appears to be looking left or to the right. That way you only need to do it twice and also avoid trying to get four white dots even.

Roger.

Thanks Roger, I'll give it a go.

My problem was I couldn't even hit the eyeball with a cocktail stick, at one stage it looked as if he'd had massive head trauma and it was half way down his cheek! 

I wondered / hoped  the fellow was a little undersized as opposed to me having lost some hand eye coordination.

What I've done in the past is paint the eyeball (white, which as you say is wrong) but then placed the iris in one corner or the other, avoids the goofy crosseyed look. This looked ok and with a brown wash it reduces the stark effect and added a little shadow.

That said I'll give your method a shot.

Thanks

Darryl 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Very nice Darryl. The colour modulation on the Firefly is particularly good. 👍🏼

Roger. 

10 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Darryl.

Brilliant job on the Cromwell and i really like the finish on the Sherman.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks chaps, glad you like.

Haven't bothered with the dust wash on the Firefly, could go back and try it but quite happy as it stands at the mo.

Really helps getting a little feedback, good to know things are going in the right direction.

Thanks again

Darryl 

• Like 1