Tamiya 1/35 Cromwell, oob. And Dragon Firefly Vc.

Jasper dog

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, now back home and to work progress slows to the traditional snail pace.

Not getting much done on the Cromwell and Firefly as trying to clear an M8 Greyhound off the bench, however what has been achieved is:

spacer.png

Cromwell primed as is the Firefly hull, as was pointed out earlier the strip of bolts above the transmission cover is miss-located (fitted upside down). Deciding it'll do more damage than good trying to remove and refit I'll have to hid it beneath a little stowage.

spacer.png

A replacement metal barrel has been used on the Firefly turret, having never used one of these before I assume the two piece muzzle brake is to superglued together? It's a much nice item than the Dragon supplied plastic one and is secured in a far better manor the the original too.

spacer.png

Think I'll try this little lot on the Cromwell too, seamed a bargain on the usual on line auction site.

Can anyone recommend/suggest a hold and fold type tool for bending etch brass? I've seen a number for sale at a range of prices and unsure which to go for. Basically small bits I can cope with but for longer items like various fenders etc which need a neat consistent fold I might struggle with just using a steel rule and tweezers etc.

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 8

Aye up Darryl,

Looking good. As regards the barrel, superglue will work fine on that. Can't help in regards the folding tool though as i tend to avoid etch wherever i can due to fat fingers and the eyesight of Mr Magoo! Would like to see some more of that there Greyhound.... it looks really nicely weathered.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Can anyone recommend/suggest a hold and fold type tool for bending etch brass? I've seen a number for sale at a range of prices and unsure which to go for. Basically small bits I can cope with but for longer items like various fenders etc which need a neat consistent fold I might struggle with just using a steel rule and tweezers etc.

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

Have a look at at Trumpeter Trumpeter Photo Etched parts Benders, they do three sizes, see bottom of this page http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.php?g=home&m=product&a=index&id=190&l=en&p=4

You can usually find a good deal for these on eBay.

HTH    P

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PDH said:

Have a look at at Trumpeter Trumpeter Photo Etched parts Benders, they do three sizes, see bottom of this page http://www.trumpeter-china.com/index.php?g=home&m=product&a=index&id=190&l=en&p=4

You can usually find a good deal for these on eBay.

HTH    P

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at those.

Have you used them yourself?

Thanks

Darryl 

17 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Darryl,

Looking good. As regards the barrel, superglue will work fine on that. Can't help in regards the folding tool though as i tend to avoid etch wherever i can due to fat fingers and the eyesight of Mr Magoo! Would like to see some more of that there Greyhound.... it looks really nicely weathered.

Regards,

Steve

Aye up Steve

I try to avoid etch myself but it seems to come as standard in a lot of kits now, without a plastic alternative.🤔

Quick pic of Greyhound, glad you liked it.spacer.png

Not really appropriate to this thread, once finished I'll post in rfi. 

Thanks for looking.

Darryl

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at those.

Have you used them yourself?

Thanks

Darryl 

Yes, I have the small and medium size versions. Both work well for me. I would recommend the medium size version as probably the most useful.

P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Aye up Steve

I try to avoid etch myself but it seems to come as standard in a lot of kits now, without a plastic alternative.🤔

Quick pic of Greyhound, glad you liked it.spacer.png

Not really appropriate to this thread, once finished I'll post in rfi. 

Thanks for looking.

Darryl

Aye up Darryl,

Thanks for the pic. Great job on the 'hound and will keep a look out in RFI for when it's posted up. If the Cromwell and Firefly turn out as good your onto a winner.

Regards 

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Darryl,

Thanks for the pic. Great job on the 'hound and will keep a look out in RFI for when it's posted up. If the Cromwell and Firefly turn out as good your onto a winner.

Regards 

Steve

Thanks Steve, hopefully it won't be to long, for some reason I find the finishing off tricky.

I can never decided when to call it done, I've some figures I'm playing with/mucked up and contemplating stowage, another first for me.

However I want to get on with the Cromwell etc......🤔

Such awful problems we suffer with!

Cheers 

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2019 at 11:38 PM, Jasper dog said:

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

Have you looked at the The Small Shop Darryl (thesmallshop.com) you will find they have great bending tools I have the 5.5" and the bug love them.

Regards

Richard

• Thanks 1

On 26/09/2019 at 02:14, Ripaman said:

Have you looked at the The Small Shop Darryl (thesmallshop.com) you will find they have great bending tools I have the 5.5" and the bug love them.

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard, I've ordered a medium sized one from Trumpeter as recommended by PDH, quite reasonably priced via Amazon. 

However I'll keep your recommendation in mind.

Thanks again.

Darryl 

This week's progress now the Greyhound is, to my mind at least, completed.

Cromwell, basic paintwork done. I'm no expert on correct colour/shade but to my eye it looks.......green!spacer.png

Black base followed by Mig Olive drab. Sccc15

spacer.png

Olive drab lightened with a couple of drops of, as it was to hand, Mig New wood. This was repeated, adding more and more to lighten it further. Doesn't show up terribly well in the electric light unfortunately. 

spacer.png

Highlights finished for now, needs to dry fully and then a gloss coat before washes, weathering etc etc.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking,

Ttfn!

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Looks good to me Darryl. There were so many variations of the colour because of so many factors, so once you've gone to work with the washes and pigments, it'll look right.

John.

My thought exactly, having found the various gloss coats, washes, matt coat etc etc all darken the finish I've tried to make it fairly light so hopefully it won't look to dark once finished.

Once a vehicle has been outside for a while especially one with a flat finish (as opposed to gloss) the UV degrades the paintwork therefore depending upon the environment two vehicles that left the factory the same can look quite different. Never mind the variations in mix, application and so on. And that's before we've thrown weather conditions and weathering into the mix. 

That's my reasoning at least.

Thanks 

Darryl 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Great progress on the Cromwell. Nice variation in the base coat and the colour looks good.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, quite taken with it myself. (Bit of luck really!)

Just played around and kept lightening the mix and then picked out the high points and edges with an even lighter mix. Might be a bit arty but it's good to experiment. 

Gloss coat etc will darken it.

Thanks 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Nice one. Hope your mig paints worked for you. Tried it on my Hetzer yesterday and although going with several passes in some areas it was too much at once and it shines. If that is the way this paint works, it looks like it is of limited use for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soeren said:

Nice one. Hope your mig paints worked for you. Tried it on my Hetzer yesterday and although going with several passes in some areas it was too much at once and it shines. If that is the way this paint works, it looks like it is of limited use for me.

Hi, I've been pretty happy with them, tend to stick to Ammo/Mig, Vallejo and if I have to, Tamiya for spraying. I usually thin with standard Tamiya thinner and sometimes a little Vallejo flow Improver as it will dry on the nozzle.

I find it helps keeping an old hair dryer to hand that way I can get all the modulation done in one go rather than waiting for it to dry naturally. I prefer to paint it fairly dry with light coats and don't let to mutch paint build up,  if that makes sense, unlike spraying gloss cellulose for example which needs to go on fairly wet.

Not quite sure what you mean by shines, as it always drys very flat or matt in my experience.

If I can help or clarify anything further let me know.

Good luck with the Hetzer

Thanks for looking.

Darryl

• Like 1

Thanks Darryl. It is that I don't seem to spray it thun enough. To spray until I see the paint build up seem's too much for this paint. Then it starts to shine. Don't have this with my valley paints though. So it needs some more patience on my side I guess.

Edited by Soeren

22 hours ago, Soeren said:

Thanks Darryl. It is that I don't seem to spray it thun enough. To spray until I see the paint build up seem's too much for this paint. Then it starts to shine. Don't have this with my valley paints though. So it needs some more patience on my side I guess.

Someone suggested to thin the paint to the consistency of milk and I do find it needs at least this and the pressure somewhere between 15-20psi. (I don't tend to set it specifically just play around till it performs).

Again I think light coats and a little drying time between between.

Basically I just played around with it until it worked.

Watch out for it drying on the tip, which can/will happen if spraying, drying, spraying etc.

Good luck.

This week's progress, Cromwell now has its decals and Firefly its first coat of sccc15, however I knew all was going to smoothly...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cromwell painted and awaiting gloss coat and decals, highlights picked out with a lightened mix of od.  Will it be light enough after gloss coats etc?

spacer.png

spacer.png

With a coat of Halfords clear lacquer. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decals on decided to go 11 armoured div, star on turret roof was a little awkward and will prob require a little touching in.

Still prefer the finish pre gloss coat!

spacer.png

Stowage for Cromwell. 

Firefly has received its black undercoat and a quick once over with olive D.

spacer.png

Usually like to do colour modulation all in one go after first od coat but I'm going to attach suspension units etc before going for full colouring in job.

spacer.png

Attempting to test fit the drive wheels, stub axle not only to long to fit but as I discovered too tight a fit. Result, sheared stub axle with remainder still in socket but more annoying outer toothed wheel from drive wheel broken from remainder with little left to reattach too.

spacer.png

Notice how the lower one is lacking attachment points compared to the upper, not to mention lining up the wheels to recieve the tracks. Might need to hid beneath a little stowage draped over the front...

Drilled out broken stub and thankfully enough axle left to mount.

Thanks for looking in.

Happy sticking and painting.

• Like 5

Both looking good Darryl, especially the Cromwell. Once you have the matt coat on, you could try some of Mig's Allied Green Fading pigment. It does lighten up areas.

John.

• Thanks 1