Canberra PR.9 serials vs. squadron tie up?

Rabbit Leader

Greetings all Canberra fans. 

I’m trying to tie up some Canberra PR.9 serials to certain dates they were in service with the Malta based No. 13 & 39 Squadrons. Does anyone know a website link that lists each of the 23 PR.9 serials and their unit histories? Ideally I’m looking for what serial was on strength with each unit for the year 1970, however an overall in-service historical list would also be good to have. Once known this will help me model a Matchbox kit to a hopeful accurate(ish) conclusion. 

Cheers and thanks for looking.. Dave 

• Like 2

I have the Clemens' Canberra book with brief histories and Sqn tie ups, can look that up later.

The PR.9s were pretty good at wearing Sqn motifs on the tail but I guess this is a paper exercise.

Edit, PM inbound

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

OK, so James @71chally and I have been chatting a bit and we believe that we may have a tie up with 39 Sqn’s XH170 serving on Malta during the year 1970. I have a few screen grabs below of XH134 and we are just trying to determine if the ‘last two’ dayglo nose numbers would have been applied to these aircraft whilst they were based on Malta up until October 1970. 

48687059903_776fd0ceff_b.jpg

48687399931_14a6665288_b.jpg

48687407201_a4bafd409e_b.jpg

Now not wanting to burden John @canberra kid with another Canberra query, but should he or anyone else have additional material for both 13 and 39 squadrons based on Malta during this 1970-ish period, I would be gratefully appreciated. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Jus to add to this,

My belief is that 39 Sqn used single letter codes applied in dayglo tape to the nose sides circa 1970 and while Luqa based, by the mid '70s when the Sqn were Wyton based they changed to having the last two numbers appleid to the front of nose cone.  

• Thanks 1

@Rabbit Leader & @71chally Good photos James, I've nothing to add yet Dave, I'm away this weekend but if there is anything left to add I'll jump in when I get back. One thing or rather two things those images show well are the Medium Sea Grey underside and 'gold' anti corrosion finish on the nose wheel. 

John 

PS, James. I've just spotted something I've never seen before in the centre photo of 134 there are two 'whip' aerials on the top side of the nose, very interesting!!

John 

Edited by canberra kid
PS added
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for chipping in with the additional posts gents.

@T-21, I have seen these 13 and 39 Sqn. lists and they are good, however I’ve come across photographs which show additional serials operated by both squadrons so I think there is more to it that that.

@71chally, thanks for clarifying my question which now makes more sense - we are trying to establish if the small dayglo nose side letters changed to dayglo nose cone numbers after 39 moved from Malta back to Wyton in October1970. 

@canberra kid, great to have you along and it’s nice to hear that one of these photos has unearthed something new. The confirmation of anti corrosive paint is also good to read about. 

Anyway.. lets see what else pops up. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 2