This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
bootneck

good model shops in Prague or Budapest?

Swmbo has had a fairly tough year, with health issues, and wants to have a short break in either Prague or Budapest.  I thought that I would check out any model shops in those places, just to make it worth her going. :rofl:

I know about MPM in Prague, but are there any others in either city?  I especially like to find 1:144 scale aircraft if they are available; also, do any of these places sell second-hand kits?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice and information on this.

Mike

For Prague look at dstorm.eu and there is a link to all the shops along with maps there. Yes there are a few.

There were a few in Budapest when I went there several years ago, sorry but I could not tell you where they are or if they are still there.

Do yourself a favour Mike and take your wife to Prague and do it in September when the E-day show is on (28th). It's full of traders and you should get what you want there. It's a beautiful city to visit and a great place to stay is the Admiral Botel. It's a floating hotel and the accommodation and food is superb, plus if they still do it, they will pick you up from the airport. It's just a short walk to the tram stop which takes you to the show.

John. 

8 hours ago, Jabba said:

For Prague look at dstorm.eu and there is a link to all the shops along with maps there.

Thanks Jabba, I shall give that site a looksee.

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Do yourself a favour Mike and take your wife to Prague and do it in September when the E-day show is on (28th). It's full of traders and you should get what you want there. It's a beautiful city to visit and a great place to stay is the Admiral Botel. It's a floating hotel and the accommodation and food is superb, plus if they still do it, they will pick you up from the airport. It's just a short walk to the tram stop which takes you to the show.

I've always wanted to go to E-day but we can't go anywhere before October as my sister is over from South Africa.  She only arrived yesterday and is here for the rest of the month.  I'll discuss the rest of your suggestions with swmbo.

cheers,

Mike

Was in Prague the other week, popped into MPM (conveniently near a #5  tram stop ) but to be honest it was smaller than anticipated and the counters kept me too far away from the shelves to see what they had :(    

Can't help much with models, but if you're looking for good Czech food at Czech prices rather than tourist prices, thoroughly recommend  pub called U Rotundy near Charles Bridge. 

Edited by IanHx

16 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Was in Prague the other week, popped into MPM (conveniently near a #5  tram stop ) but to be honest it was smaller than anticipated and the counters kept me too far away from the shelves to see what they had :(    

I went to the same shop a few years ago and found the same problem. Unless you know what you want or looking for and have a good command of the Czech language one is stuffed.Or if you are lucky and have an English speaking shop keeper then you could be OK.  It didn't work for me and I saw a lot of kits I wanted with money in my pocket but pointing to each item was painful. and unhelpful so I gave up.

53 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I went to the same shop a few years ago and found the same problem. Unless you know what you want or looking for and have a good command of the Czech language one is stuffed.Or if you are lucky and have an English speaking shop keeper then you could be OK.  It didn't work for me and I saw a lot of kits I wanted with money in my pocket but pointing to each item was painful. and unhelpful so I gave up.

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

I have found that in many a model (in fact many a non supermarket type shop) in most Eastern European countries that I have visited. It seems to be the way of things.

The Bilek shop just around the corner from MPM has a similar counter arrangement with all of the stock behind, however I found the chap who works there to have a far better understanding of English than the guys in MPM, he was very helpful offering to open boxes to view the contents etc...

By the way, just between the two shops is the U Fleku pub, well worth a visit.

Thanks all.  Swmbo isn't decided yet, probably because my sister is here at the mo' and we can't seem to get a word into any conversation! :blah: We're just waiting for the rubber band to wind down.

It sounds (or doesn't) like there isn't much at Budapest so, if I get any choice in this, hopefully it will be Prague.

Mike

1 minute ago, bootneck said:

Thanks all.  Swmbo isn't decided yet, probably because my sister is here at the mo' and we can't seem to get a word into any conversation! :blah: We're just waiting for the rubber band to wind down.

It sounds (or doesn't) like there isn't much at Budapest so, if I get any choice in this, hopefully it will be Prague.

Mike

I know nothing about Budapest having never been there, but model shops aside, there is much to see and do in Prague. There's the Charles bridge which usually has artists setting up their easels on it, the concert hall just down from the bridge, the castle and there's a great brewery there too where I think you can have a meal, plus there are loads of restaurants and cafes.

John.

PS. If you were thinking of going later in the year, they have a great Christmas market.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

there is much to see and do in Prague. There's the Charles bridge which usually has artists setting up their easels on it, the concert hall just down from the bridge, the castle and there's a great brewery there too where I think you can have a meal, plus there are loads of restaurants and cafes.

John.

And if you're there on the 23rd October, Tangerine Dream are playing in concert at the Roxy.