Roden 1/144 C-141B

This was supposed to be a quick build but then I had to go and decide I wanted the white top scheme.  By the dates on my build photos I started it in late March 2018 and built it along side the Monogram 1/48 early B-26 conversion and the  Airfix 1/48 B-57.  What was I thinking!!

Anyway, it's done and here it is.  I used Caracal decals set 144002 which has markings for 11 different C-141 schemes and worked as nice or better than any decals I have ever used.  In these markings it is actually a C-141C, the Hanoi Taxi in the Air Force Museum.

Overall fits were good, though a little extra effort was need on the landing gear.  Details in my build log here:

http://www.yolo.net/~jeaton/mymodels/c141/1c141/1c141.html

0051c141.jpg

0061c141.jpg

0071c141.jpg

0081c141.jpg

0091c141.jpg

0101c141.jpg

0111c141.jpg

0121c141.jpg

0131c141.jpg

Edited by jeaton01
bad hypertext for image
  • Like 38

The Lifter will always hold a special place in my heart. Would see these all the time as a child and then the pinacle of it all was seeing 14 on the deck at Mildenhall a short time before they were withdrawn from service. You have done a superb job on this, a beautiful addition for anyones collection. Nicely done.

Marc

My first post after watching from the sidelines!

A lovely finish on that.

I'm building the Europe-1 camouflaged version of this kit and haven't got the main landing gear on yet, but it does look quite flimsy.

60177 was the last Starlifter I saw in service and in those colours too (2006 perhaps?)

Thanks for all the nice comments, they are appreciated.

Vulcanfan, some adjustments are needed to the main struts before they will fit, once on they are very sturdy.   I filed back the foot that rests against the back of the wheel well, and filed the inside of the top of the strut at an angle until it would clear the little door that opens above the strut on the sponson.  Until I did those changes  the little nubbin that fits on the post in the wheel well would not align.

Excellent Starlifter. :worthy:... I remember as a teen living on Fort Bragg in 87 watching one inbound for Pope AFB. It took a major nosedive as it ingested a kite in one of the engines. The pilot saved her but the engine and the kids backside were right offs. 

Nice! I would have loved to see her as "40612" (a popularised machine in enthusiast circles when I was growing up) and in MAC titling but! Hey ho, it is a great build nonetheless :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner