Kawanishi N1K1, Hasegawa 1/72

• 2 weeks later...

Only limited progress here: The dolly is more or less finished. And I am not talking about this Dolly or this Dolly:

GqVaIA4.jpg

On the aircraft itself, I inserted brass tubes to replicate the exhaust instead of using the plastic stubs included in the kit. Obviously, the surrounding putty needs to be cleaned up and sanded.

Gjgc2Kk.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

And now with some paint:

97xlyFg.jpg

IYnrTNw.jpg

As you can see I like to play around with sophisticated pre-shading (with varying results). You can also discern the stressed skin effect. 

Next I will try to mask and airbrush the national insignia. I have never done this before, but a Japanese plane is obviously a good opportunity for a first try.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Now with meatballs. Cutting more or less circular masks actually proved more difficult than anticipated. I used a kind of circle-cutter, but I may invest into a better one in the future.

EDfh37x.jpg

LViz9yJ.jpg

• Like 8

And decals....

Actually, I was a bit afraid how they would work. The decal sheet has "1995" printed on it and everything was a bit yellowed and brittle. As the national markings are sprayed I only used the serial/registration on the fin, the small stripes on the main float and the red lines on the wing. Some of the decals broke up, but so far no silvering. Probably the gloss coat (Future) helped to prevent that.

U3OJOrJ.jpg

Now all that is missing is a panel wash, some oil/fuel splatters, exhaust stains, probably some paint chips (not down to the aluminium) and a matt cote.

• Like 7

Sorry Doc, but I completely missed this build.

The good news though is that when I first saw it in the Gallery, I thought 'what a great stressed skin effect'. I had no idea that you had created it yourself! :goodjob:

Cheers

• Thanks 1