IDF Aircraft colours .

wellzy

12 hours ago, wellzy said:

Hi Guys any ideas on IDF which colur use for the Blue and brown camouflage on Mustangs in the Suez campaign .

thank for looking Wellzy

any type or brand of paint? 

@Black Knight suggestions are reasonable visual match BTW.

The israeli colours have RAL matches if that helps I'll dig them out, and AK Interactive do a set for early Israeli colours that look pretty good in the bottles. the underside is RAL match as well, a pale grey.

EDIT

https://ak-interactive.com/product/early-israeli-air-force-colors/

RAL 5008 Grey-Blue (Graublau)

RAL 7044 Silk Grey (Seidengrau)

RAL 8008 Olive Brown (Olivbraun)

AK2160.jpg

Hataka also do a set

http://hataka-hobby.com/products/israeli-air-force-paint-set-early-period/

as34.png

The Suez era Mustangs tended to be a bit more weathered than the model above,  but, as always, work from a photo.

HTH

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The israeli colours have RAL matches if that helps I'll dig them out, and AK Interactive do a set for early Israeli colours that look pretty good in the bottles. the underside is RAL match as well, a pale grey.

IDF%20P51D%2C%2006s.jpg

• Like 3

Hi!

I ended up with Revell SM 381 Brown and Tamiya TS-15 Blue. But I think Humbrol Hu 77 can be acceptabel.

It's rather difficult to show colours on an screen but this is my "test P-51D".

spacer.png

Sky's Decal's gave FS 30215/RAL 8000 for Brown, FS 35053/RAL 5008 Blue and FS 37722/RAL 7044 Grey for the 105 and 116 Squadron's flying the P-51D.

I tryed several other shades of brown and blue inclusive Humbrol Hu 118 but felt they didn't had that "redbrown" of the the Israeli P-51D. Concerning the blue I felt that it was slightly more "blue" than "The David Star" ensignia "greyish blue". But not so dark as the US Navy blue. The Mustangs and the french aircraft's wasn't painted in the same blue and brown paints on the ex RAF aircrafts which used Brittish paints. So I agree with Troy Smith about RAL matches. I also used the pictures in the J-26 (Swedish P-51D) book by Leif Hallström as reference. My build is in start position waiting for the Britmodeller "P-51 Groupbuild" starting in december.

48546178897_8f85ff8149_o.jpg

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dalea said:

In the Colourcoats range RAL 5008 is matched to Semigloss Blue ANA 606, US 07

Hi,

Semigloss Blue ANA 606 would give us Humbrol HU 23 (?). RAL 5008 gives us Revell 32351 "Graublau". Can someone compare those two? ;)

Yoav Efrati (Colours and markings Israel Air Force) advised Humbrol Hu 134 for blue and Humbrol Hu 29 for brown. But I think that goes well for the ex RAF aircrafts. Looking at preserved aircrafts in Israel I like the look of Vautour IIa "09" at Hatzerim. That I feel gives us an rather more "mediumblue" colour as Humbrol Hu 77. I feel the brown and blue P-51D at Hatzerim has an shade of blue that is far to dark...

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/museums/main/israeli-air-force-museum.htm

We had an similar thread in January discussing Israeli Avia 199, Spitfire and P-51D Mustang...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

13 minutes ago, dalea said:

HU23 in Humbrol Authentic Colours. HU 23 in their ordinary range is called "Duck Egg Blue" 

Yes I knew. But for sure it is confusing with different ranges... ;)

https://www.scalemates.com/de/colors/humbrol-authentic-colours--811/hu23-semi-gloss-sea-blue-ana-606-enamel-satin--9706#

Are those "authentic colour" paints even available today?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B