Tamiya McLaren MP4/6 1/12

JCH

Like many on the site I constructed many models in my younger days.  I distinctly recall building my first Tamiya, the McLaren M23.  The joy of a pair of major sub-assemblies fitting perfectly.  Sorry Revell but never again!  Life, meaning wife, child, and work (and one girl friend that guilted me into thinking this hobby was for children) got in the way.  Thankfully the wife's happy, son is grown, who the hell knows where the girlfriend is these days, and work's been set aside for retirement.  Sadly all the F1 cars of my past (said M23, Ferrari 312b and 312T4, Lotus MK. III, Tyrrell P34, and others) are gone save one.  I did keep (unfinished), for 25+ years, a Renault RE 20 (which I'll post under separate cover) and recently completed.

What with my age, budget, and it being 30+ years ago all these superb additional detail kits were not available, all my previous experience was "out of the box" builds.  I can now indulge this wonderful hobby obtaining the detail kits and tools my budget previously would not allow.  With these tools I hope to do the fine Tamiya MP4/6 and the glorious Top Studio detail kits justice.  I'll not provide further review of these kits as they are covered elsewhere but spectacular comes to mind.  I will say the level of complexity is substantial and one I hope I'm up to the task. 

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Roy vd M should be flattered indeed as I "leveraged" many of his suggestions.  Substantial time has been spent organizing photographs (leveraging his nomenclature), obtaining additional detail parts, and cross-referencing the 29 pages of Tamiya instruction with the 25 pages of Top Studio.  The highlighter and mechanical pencil have been hard at work.  I've also created a lengthy FreeMind mind map of construction order.  I doubt I'll reach Roy's build quality but I'll certainly try.

I'm fighting with OneDrive regarding pictures.  They will be forthcoming. 

• Like 6

Great news that one of these is being built! 

I'm indeed flattered that you'll use some of my suggestions. That having said, I personally have added admiration for those who finish model kits. The more time I spend on a kit / model, the less likely it is I'll ever finish it and up to now the McLaren is a prime example of that. I really hope you'll achieve to finish the model with a great result and of course I'll be closely following this build. Hope you'll manage to have the pictures uploaded. I'm not sure OneDrive can host images to be shown on a forum like this. If it won't work, you can try a host such as Flickr. 

It seems to me you've made a great start, sorting all references and instructions. You'll be glad you did later on :D 

Looking forward to the good stuff!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

admiration for those who finish model kits. The more time I spend on a kit / model, the less likely it is I'll ever finish it

I understand these words, wholeheartedly...it's waaaaay too long since I completed a build (5-6yrs probably). 

3 hours ago, JCH said:

all my previous experience was "out of the box" builds. 

Me too...I made loads (well, 2 per month}. Then I discovered the internet, forums and detailing...:evil_laugh:

I haven't built this one, but it looks very impressive with all the Top Studio stuff etc. So I will look forward to your progress reports.

Welcome to the proceedings, btw...:thumbsup:

Cheers, H

4 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Great news that one of these is being built! 

, I personally have added admiration for those who finish model kits. The more time I spend on a kit / model, the less likely it is I'll ever finish it...

Well I spent 38 months of very consistent work on my last. And during the last year or so, the urge to complete was great - from fatigue and excitement. Also most of the big problems were solved. Then, relief and joy.

JCH, very well thought-out start for a complex project and following Roy's methods a smart move and huge help.

And Mr H - you MUST complete that 806 because I only have so much life left to see it -:whip:

• Like 1

MANY thanks for the replies and encouragement.  Too cool for school!

A bit of the Top Studio detail and some of the cross-reference work:

20190816_221720 20190816_221326

Let the building begin!

20190826_122000

20190829_180758

The gear shift linkage housing (work in progress):

20190829_181653

• Like 3

On 9/4/2019 at 7:42 PM, Codger said:

You'll need more room....:phew:

Codger - I couldn't agree more!  I'll be asking for a number of the HobbyZone workstation organizers during the holiday season.  

7 minutes ago, JCH said:

Codger - I couldn't agree more!  I'll be asking for a number of the HobbyZone workstation organizers during the holiday season.  

Don't need expensive kit. Two 4' folding tables and a drafting table handled 2900 parts....

• Like 1

Hi All,

Just a quick update.  While I'm sure this is old hat for many, if not most modelers on this site, this a first for me.  Figuring out how to manipulate and successfully glue these fiddly bits took some thinking.  I tried CA, considered Elmer's (don't recall the generic name), and ended up using Loctite Ultra Gel Control (sparingly).  The Loctite yielded a strong bond and provided time to ensure aliment.  

I'm very happy with the result and am encouraged for the upcoming, more complex, assemblies. 

20190906_110633

20190906_115859

• Like 4

Wow! Looks like you;re going in at the deep end.

Welcome back to the hobby, and please keep posting, this looks interesting.

Keep all the bits you don't use. One day (Up to three years!) you may need one of them. 

Elmers = PVA or just 'white glue'.

Cheers

Pete

15 hours ago, Codger said:

Don't need expensive kit. Two 4' folding tables and a drafting table handled 2900 parts....

For a number of reasons I'm confined to the table shown.  Making the most of this space is required.  I do have safe locations for storage of assemblies and body parts for drying/curing as well as a paint station that can be stowed, but all the real work needs to fit.  Thus the desire for organization.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Elmers = PVA or just 'white glue'.

Thank you!  I didn't want to Google it because I knew I knew (trying t use the old noggin).  

I also XBox (World of Tanks and others).  I do the XBox when I want to veg but when I'm finished I always feel I've wasted time.  That's never the case wtih modeling.  Modeling is SO much more rewarding.  My wife is sick of me showing her completed work.  Hmmm... It would appear this is an excellent forum for sharing!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JCH said:

Thank you!  I didn't want to Google it because I knew I knew (trying t use the old noggin).  

I also XBox (World of Tanks and others).  I do the XBox when I want to veg but when I'm finished I always feel I've wasted time.  That's never the case wtih modeling.  Modeling is SO much more rewarding.  My wife is sick of me showing her completed work.  Hmmm... It would appear this is an excellent forum for sharing!

I have literally just sold the Xbox as I hardly use it at all but to modelling, incidentally the sale simply funded the purchasing of more models 🙄

(I even sold the sky box 🤣)

My wife was informed that I had completed two more models at the start of the week and I now need her to free up some more space for me to display them.

Great start so far and I'll be keeping an eye on this organised chaos.

Coops

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2019 at 9:14 AM, JCH said:

I've also created a lengthy FreeMind mind map of construction order. 

Unfortunately this HTML editor doesn't lend itself to the FreeMind map (despite the fact FreeMind is really just a glorified outline).  I'll see if there's another means of posting.   

On 9/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, Cooper645 said:

I even sold the sky box 🤣)

Way to go, Coops!!!:clap2: Who needs telly, anyway???? I only put the telly on to watch a DVD nowadays....and that's not very often.

Life's too short.

KEEP CALM AND MAKE MODELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... work is progressing albeit slowly. 

Some pics of the WIP heads:

20190912_113541

20190912_152732

20190915_122507

This has been my first experience with such detailed wiring.  Again, this assembly is work-in-progress.  A bit heavy handed on the silver surrounding the spark plugs but all-in-all I'm pleased.

20190924_201237

Yours in all thing McLaren,

JCH

P.S. Mclaren actually showed nicely in Singapore with Norris 7th and Saints clawing his way to 12th.

• Like 4

All,

Regarding the throttle cable in the previous post:  It appears Top Studio suggest using the Tamiya supplied thin tubing for the throttle cable.  It's far to large a diameter to snugly fit on the aluminium linkage.  Instead I used #30 Gauge stranded flexible wire (https://tonystrains.com/product/miniatronics-48-130-01-30-gauge-ultra-flexible-wire-black-10ft - Are links to web sites allowed?).  I was able to remove enough copper filaments to enable the wire casing to fit snugly onto the linkage nipple.  I may add a bit of Loctite for good measure on final assembly.

Many thanks for the encouragement,

JCH

Interesting comment from JCH about Tamiya and overscale vinyl tubing. I've got the same issue with plugs leads on my 1/12 Porsche 910. If you've looked at piccies on Google (not loads, but they're there), 6 of those things (two plugs per pot) go across the cooling fan shroud. Hmmm, the Tamiya tubing scales up to a 15mm cable (for a plug!) and 6 of them look ridiculous. So, I'm adopting a different approach which may figure on this site at some point (i.e. if it works!)

All,

Engine heads are, for the most part, complete.  Based on Roy's concern of the air tunnel/plenum fitting beneath the cowling I'll be dry fitting majority of the top end of the engine with the monocoque, floor, and cowling.  This will also provide an opportunity to complete the previously started work to get the floor and cowling seated properly.  I am thinking there's very little wiggle room with the injectors and the base of the air tunnel so those parts may be painted/detailed and cemented.  I've been holding off cementing the engine heads what with all the fiddly bits that can be harmed while working on the engine block.   

JCH

All,

Geeze what a pain.  I've spent most the afternoon with the hair dryer heating and flexing the cowling to get a good fit.  The cowling and the floor seat squarely.  This is something new for me as most my previous builds (remember 25-35 years ago) didn't include this level of precision.  No doubt this will lead to a much better finished product.  

I didn't get the before picture but the cowling HAD a bow along the bottom edge.  Thankfully no longer!!

20191003_165403

And the cowling seats on the floor!

20191003_165636

It's onto dry-fit assembly of the monocoque, engine (with the air tunnel), and likely the rear suspension.  Once that's sorted I'll be checking the front suspension cover.  

I'll be working tonight while watching some of that "American" football.  I'm a huge Dallas Cowboys fan, what with growing up in the Dallas area, tonight's game is between the LA Rams and the Seattle Seahawks.  As I despise Pete Carroll (Seahawks head coach), I'll be rooting for the Rams.  

What and AWESOME hobby.  This is so much freaking fun!!!

JCH

• Like 3

Your work is excellent. That is a perfect fit between the cowling and floor!

How did you get such tidy results on electrical connectors in post 20? Did you drill the brass to let the wire in and then seal it with the shrink tube? I have had mixed luck with the shrink tube myself - resorted to CA to hold it all together. The shrink tube didn’t shrink as much for me as it did for you 

RJ,

Thanks!  No drilling, although I do like that idea.  I have a huge wire harness on the rear bulkhead that drilling could be helpful. 

I used a small bit of CA to tack the wire in place and then a soldering iron to the shrink tube.  I've tried open flame with disastrous results.  The soldering iron allows for targeted heat.  I've also found it takes many more passes with the iron than I expect.  

JCH