This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

paulj

Advice Please - House Move - Lancashire

Hi

I am looking for some advice on a move, I have found a house I like in Nelson, Lancashire. I am a bit concerned by some of the information I have found online, but wondering if anyone on the forum knows about living in Nelson or surrounding areas. For those who are unfamiliar with the town, it is 30 miles north of Manchester, 30 miles west of Leeds, close to the southern tip of Yorkshire dales. I would be interested to know about other towns / villages in Lancashire, it's just the place I have found is in Nelson. 

Just me on my own, no children; I recently left work and don't feel I will be able to return, availability of work is not an issue. I currently live in Felixstowe, Suffolk, I really like the area and have been here over 20 years, but am renting. At the moment, I can afford to buy a place Midlands / North of the country in certain areas, which would be sustainable for me long term.

My plans are flexible so may enquire about other areas.

Thanks,

Paul

You don't say what your concerns are.  A bit remote?  A bit rundown ex-industrial? A bit too near Yorkshire?  Too much rain?  You don't fancy having to eat parkin/black pudding/Eccles cakes?  They're not compulsory and the cheese is good.  From Felixstowe, you won't be familiar with hills, but there are flatter bits is Lancs., ñearer the coast.

Housing is fairly cheap in Lancashire, but without having some idea what your preferences/fears or lifestyle are it's a bit difficult to advise.

Edited by Graham Boak

As Graham says, if you can give us a bit more detail about your concerns?

I grew up in Wigan, went to college in Bolton and now live in Blackpool, Having also worked in east Lancashire I reckon I know the area fairly well. If you want to pm me your phone number I will happily have a chat about the joys of living up here!

Hi 

Thanks for the replies and info

I suffer from Anxiety so trying to tie down concerns is difficult. The thing that concerned me was quote on wikipedia of "characterised by pockets of severe deprivation", I took a look on google maps street view and in town centre there were areas with a lot of shops. mostly street corner shops which were boarded up, and appeared to be like that for a long time. I  My concerns are effects of crime antisocial behaviour. To try and minimise that I am looking to live on the edge of town or in a small village away from town centre.

To answer questions directly

- A bit remote?  No, I do need some isolation, but need to be short driving distance from main supermarkets and shopping areas.

- A bit rundown ex-industrial? I don't mind ex-industrial, but being run down does concern me

- A bit too near Yorkshire? No, really like Yorkshire

- Too much rain? I like rain

- You don't fancy having to eat parkin/black pudding/Eccles cakes? Extremely fussy eater, there's a lot of general food I don't eat so adding a few local delicacies to the list does not make much difference. 

- you won't be familiar with hills - No prefer more terrain, would have problem with almost perfectly flat terrain like in fenland cambridgeshire.

I am looking for

- Quiet area

- An area that does not attract crime or anti-social behaviour

- A bit of isolation, outside City, on edge of a town, or in a village or rural location. Lower population density, I need some space around the house, the very modern estates are too cramped for me.

- Short drive to main supermarkets and good shopping area (15 mins)

- Good road and rail links

- Good broadband

- Multicultural 

With regards to my lifestyle, I was reclusive in nature, after leaving work I am effectively living as a recluse and find going out difficult. I think it is important for me to be around people, although reclusive I like to think that I am fairly sociable.  I do visit occasional events, music related, a couple not model shows recently, aviation and military events. I am effectively retiring and want to pursue my interests (scale modelling, radio control flying, retro computers, aviation, music). Have a bit of a shopping addiction at the moment after leaving work which I need to tame; but that's shopping online.

Not sure if that answers what you are looking for to advise me, please let me know if there is anything else which would help

Thanks again, Paul 

TBH Paul the North West on par is not a bad place to live. My mums family are from Wigan. The whole area is pretty much ex industrial as the mines and mills have mainly gone. Also like most areas of the country there are better parts and worse parts. 

You are right in the fact you money for a house will go further up there. Need to know exactly what you are looking for. Feel free to drop me a line.

Julien

6 hours ago, paulj said:

The thing that concerned me was quote on wikipedia of "characterised by pockets of severe deprivation"

You can say the same about some parts of Cornwall, officially recognised by the EU as some of the most deprived in Europe.  Doesn't seem to stop visitors descending in droves or the wealthy buying up huge swathes of it however.  And Poldark somehow manages to find picturesque bits to film in.

The reason why housing in Lancashire is cheap is because significant areas of it are run down, and I suggest this is particularly true of the Pennine mill towns such as Nelson.  Boarded up shops are characteristic of all England town centres now, partly due to the internet but also the huge out of town supermarkets - there's a particularly large example on the outskirts of Colne. That's just next door to Nelson.  Houses in nicer areas with open space around them aren't so cheap.

Villages of course may offer more, but are also being bought up as second homes so prices are driven up.  The outskirts of towns are rapidly being overgrown by precisely the kind of close housing you don't fancy.  However much of this is nationwide and not restricted to Lancashire.  And there are some nicer areas that aren't grossly overpriced,, but these will tend to be in the more northern areas, and not so good for being close to shopping.

There are many people of Indian/Pakistani origins in Lancashire, especially in the mill towns, so you'll never be far from a good curry house, but I fear that a fully multicultural society is only likely to be found in the cities.  There's still a strong undercurrent of racism and xenophobia that recent political events are intensifying.  Outside of the cities, the county, like I suspect the country, is still predominantly white and conservative.

This is perhaps stressing the less attractive features, certainly not all restricted to Lancashire, and it should be balanced by the attractive countryside and general warmth of the people.  This will of course be influenced by just how sociable you are, and how involved you wish to get with local life.

Edited by Graham Boak

Thanks for all the information and advice, has settled my anxiety on the move.

I phoned estate agent to arrange a viewing next Wednesday, but dealing with estate agents seem to be extremely difficult. They said they have a number of offers, and are considering them now likely to move on one Tommorow. I said I could move quickly and have financing sorted, but she implied it would not make a difference. I was mistaken when property was listed, it was actually listed on Monday 30th, I can't beleive how fast this has done.

I did have a viewing arrnaged for Wednesday, but am not in good health at the moment. I don't know what state I would have been after driving nearly five hours. I am not sure if I would be able to make the journey, I spent Tuesday researching everything I could about the place and home

I have re-arranged a booking for next Wednesday, but seems likely I will get a phone call to say it is no longer available.

Really gutted, and angry at myself for not being able to go this Wednesday, my anxiety got really high about things. I am thinking of putting an offer in before I view, I only have this afternoon, and the estate agents rarely pick up their phone, and don't return calls when you leave a message

Paul

Paul, don't believe an estate agent! They make their money when the paperwork is signed by both parties, and not before. A property is open for offers until the VENDOR accepts an offer, not the estate agent. I would suggest if you don't get the level of service expected, ask to speak to the branch manager OR ask for the H/O address and phone number. I'm sure they will be 'suitably impressed' NOT! by such a wonderful member of staff, Oh, and don't forget to ask for their name from the get go........

You are spending your hard earned, you arrange viewings to suit you. It might be an idea to book a week or at least a few days in a B & B in the locality,

at least that will take the pressure off you, plus, it's harder to argue with someone in person than over the phone. If the agents don't pick up the phone,

do you REALLY want to be dealing with them? Have a look to see if there is more than one agent with the property on their books, you never know.

Don't get angry with yourself, it does you no good, you have your reasons for moving, which are your's and your's alone.

You have your own health and wellbeing to consider, and that's paramount. Remember, this is the largest single purchase you will ever make, it needs to be right for YOU,

whatever happens DON'T be pushed into anything, make 'em work for their money, they'll be quick enough to take it.

If the property you want to view is no longer available, you weren't intended to own it. Move forward, keep your eye's open, there'll be another,

and probably better one along in a few days.

I suggest you take a few days to get yourself right, make a booking with a B & B or similar, and take a steady drive up. Once you 'on patch' then you can start

to do some window shopping!

Wishing you the VERY best of luck with the move,

Paul

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

I suggest you take a few days to get yourself right, make a booking with a B & B or similar, and take a steady drive up. Once you 'on patch' then you can start

to do some window shopping!

Wishing you the VERY best of luck with the move,

Sound advice from Paul, stay a few days in the area and check out the locale at different times of day, and check out other places in the area as well, somewhere else may take your fancy. It's a huge decision to take, don't rush into it, you'll be living with the consequences for a good while afterwards. Hope you find somewhere you'll be happy.

12 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Sound advice from Paul, stay a few days in the area and check out the locale at different times of day, and check out other places in the area as well, somewhere else may take your fancy. It's a huge decision to take, don't rush into it, you'll be living with the consequences for a good while afterwards. Hope you find somewhere you'll be happy.

Exactly my thoughts also, Swmbo and i are planning a similar move for health reasons and thats our plan. I truly hope you're able to find something for your health and happiness. 

Dennis

Also check out the local papers' website. Every little crime or order other will be featured. If there's lots of anti social behaviour it will show up. No news is good news. Local shops as well is a good source of info. I've even known people to knock on doors of neighbouring houses. 

The area I live in now was once known as a bit dodgy. Long since in the past. I've answered a few online questions about the area. But an old reputation sticks. Thirteen years here and nothing. Yet some people think there's problems. 

Get up to date information. 

Edited by noelh

Thanks for all the information, very helpful. I will follow this, and am planning a trip to two of the three areas I am focused on. I will combine it with a couple of stop offs I would usually do as a day out, the lincs aviation musuem, hopefully to see the Mosquito run. I now have a good feeling about the area this house is in, so will be main focus. Somewhere commutable to Leeds, but far enough away to be in village like, or edge of a small town.