Airfix Heinkel He111 H-6 Motörhead “Bomber” Special

Sebastien

• 1 month later...

Most of the regular retailers will have honored the original RRP of £24.99 on pre-orders,  but you cannot blame the others for taking advantage of Airfix gross under production.

The word on the streets is only 2,000 were produced, which for an Airfix kit is not a lot.  Airfix have also tied their own hands behind their backs saying the next version will be  a standard HE111, with just the Motorhead Decals.

This could have sold in vast numbers just like the Iron Maiden Revell 747 which can still be had for a reasonable price, this one could have been pumped out till all the modelers and collectors were satisfied.

You could understand is the price rise had taken place a few months down the line but it started within hours of it getting to dealers.

Some one at Airfix has fouled up, I bet my supplier was crying while they were packing ours models up, selling them to us at a trade price to suite £24.99, knowing the price of £59.99 to £99.99 was already out there.

We have 6 pre-orders at £24.95 and those have been contacted and will get them at £24.95,

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED

20 minutes ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

Most of the regular retailers will have honored the original RRP of £24.99 on pre-orders,  but you cannot blame the others for taking advantage of Airfix gross under production.

Perhaps not so much gross under production as gross underestimation of likely demand ( which probably amounts to the same!)

To the extent that Airfix recently announced a further run of the kit ( with only the Motorhead decals) in January 2020.

Maybe someone at their marketing department needs a serious talking to? 🤔

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

The Business model should have been the sales of Revells Iron Maiden 747, and they should have based it on that.

This is a massive lost opportunity to make money for Airfix, and I bet some ones is getting someone else's foot right up their rear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

The Business model should have been the sales of Revells Iron Maiden 747, and they should have based it on that.

This is a massive lost opportunity to make money for Airfix, and I bet some ones is getting someone else's foot right up their rear.

Better believe it!! 😊

Allan

9 hours ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

The word on the streets is only 2,000 were produced, which for an Airfix kit is not a lot.  Airfix have also tied their own hands behind their backs saying the next version will be  a standard HE111, with just the Motorhead Decals.

My understanding the Motorhead kit was a promotion to sell off overstock/remainder He 111s at full price.

If that is the case its done its job and more.

Tommo.

• Like 1

It has done it job, just could have done a much better job, many of these will not have gone to modelers, possible Motorhead fans, or general collectors, so they could have tapped into a market and made a lot more money.

If you sold 2,000 but could have sold 10,000 with a little thought some one will get a talking to.

In the end it is a business and business are there to make money.

link to none modeling sites to show there was interest other than modelers.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/the-40th-anniversary-of-motorheads-bomber-celebrated-with-new-airfix-model

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/motorhead-bomber-model/

https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/you-can-now-get-an-airfix-model-of-motörheads-bomber/

https://www.thesound.co.nz/home/music/2019/09/motorhead-bomber-40th-anniversary-airfix-heinkel-he111-h6-bomber-model-plane.html

https://metalinjection.net/metal-merch/motorhead-to-release-model-bomber-plane-after-bomber-album-cover

https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/bandmerch/accessoires/spiele/motoerhead-heinkel-he111h-6-bomber-1-72-modellbausatz.html

https://metalanarchy.com/2019/09/05/airfix-to-release-motorhead-bomber-model-plane/

So how many hard rock heavy metal fans have seen these adverts or press releases, this kit has had more general publicity than possibly than any other kit of recent times.

There is no getting away from this Airfix from a business point of view have right royally f**ked up.

If you are a collector of Heavy metal memorabilia, esp Motorhead you are going to want this, and there are only 2,000 spread across modelers, is this little wonder this is selling at the moment for 4 times its original price.

We have stuck most of ours away for a rainy day or to be sold with the Album on its release

19 minutes ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

If you sold 2,000 but could have sold 10,000 with a little thought some one will get a talking to.

In the end it is a business and business are there to make money.

I'm not here to defend Airfix, I was told it was an initiative to sell off remainder stock, if true its done that. 

If anyone wants a talking too it's whoever over ordered the stock in the 1st place.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

Well, if it was limited to 2000 copies, then I'm chuffed to have one.

Have to agree with Tommo's point. If this was done just to clear overstocks, then job done. If not, then Airfix have hopefully learnt a lesson from this. 

Having said that, I'll buy the regular kit with the Motorhead decals when it's released next year to build. This one is staying sealed in the box. 🙂

Steve

I heard it was an inspired move to sell off old stock too...instead of Airfix screwing up they pulled a blinder...clearly they didnt know how popular it would be else they would have produced a load more! It was more popular than they thought so they are issuing another batch, rather than taking a punt and being left with a warehouse full of product they couldnt sell! What they have to be careful of now is not to overorder the second batch which would cause the same problem!

Can't understand the criticism of Airfix here - I thought it was clever marketing which proved to be more successful than anticipated - better that than the other way round surely!!!

TT 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I heard it was an inspired move to sell off old stock too...instead of Airfix screwing up they pulled a blinder...clearly they didnt know how popular it would be else they would have produced a load more! It was more popular than they thought so they are issuing another batch, rather than taking a punt and being left with a warehouse full of product they couldnt sell! What they have to be careful of now is not to overorder the second batch which would cause the same problem!

Can't understand the criticism of Airfix here - I thought it was clever marketing which proved to be more successful than anticipated - better that than the other way round surely!!!

TT 

Agreed. Also it was always touted as a limited edition from the outset, and lots maunfacturers do that every day with many products, such as the diecast folks. So Airfix did pull a blinder, which I bet even took them by surprise.

Steve

• Like 1

What does "pull a blinder " mean ?  Does it mean to cross your fingers and hope something works out 

?

Also , how would someone know if you had a first edition or second edition "Motorhead  " kit with out opening the box ?

Cheers Oggy

6 minutes ago, oggy4u said:

What does "pull a blinder " mean ?  Does it mean to cross your fingers and hope something works out 

?

Also , how would someone know if you had a first edition or second edition "Motorhead  " kit with out opening the box ?

Cheers Oggy

The kit numbers are different. I have A07007A with the Motörhead decals and the original kit decal sheet. The later boxing will be A07007B with only the Motorhead sheet as far as I can see. 

25 minutes ago, oggy4u said:

It means to do something exceptionally well.

Steve

1 hour ago, oggy4u said:

?

Cheers Oggy

No, it means one has 2000 kits ready to offload to the discounters at little more than cost. Wait a moment, get a Motorhead license at seven and half percent plus the cost  of new packaging and decals and sell the kits at full retail price. What would you do?

Tommo.

The original A07007A release is currently available again for more sensible money (£34:95 inc p&p) here.  And yes, I have just bought one, which will be built in the box art livery!

On 10/18/2019 at 7:58 AM, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

There is no getting away from this Airfix from a business point of view have right royally f**ked up.

Nonsense.  I doubt anybody is getting a talking to, or that Airfix f**ked up.  This has been an unexpected success!

Previous Airfix tie-ins have generally sold badly, see Wallace & Gromit / Doctor Who sets stacked high and selling for peanuts post Christmas.  This was Airfix trying something slightly different, testing the waters and finding that there was unexpected demand.

Yes, they could have made more money, but if they'd made 10,000 kits they could easily have been left with crates full of unsold plastic.  Expect more low volume tie-ins in the future...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, tangerine_sedge said:

Nonsense.  I doubt anybody is getting a talking to, or that Airfix f**ked up.  This has been an unexpected success!

Previous Airfix tie-ins have generally sold badly, see Wallace & Gromit / Doctor Who sets stacked high and selling for peanuts post Christmas.  This was Airfix trying something slightly different, testing the waters and finding that there was unexpected demand.

Yes, they could have made more money, but if they'd made 10,000 kits they could easily have been left with crates full of unsold plastic.  Expect more low volume tie-ins in the future...

Absolutely.

I could be well tempted to buy my first Airfix kit in a long time if they decided to produce a 1/48 fully licensed limited edition of Thunderbird 6. More wishful thinking on my part though.

Tommo.

17 hours ago, tangerine_sedge said:

Sorry I disagree

Bit of back ground

When Revell released the information of the B474 Iron Maiden Book of Souls World Tour, we traders had about 2 or 3 months to canvas our customers, this resulted in my company selling 144 of that model, and we are not large Revell sellers, so god knows how many were sold.

On the Airfix release, we were given the information, and we raised our pre-orders, this resulted in 24 hours of 6 pre-orders and 18 points of interest, I was then contacted by our rep and he informed us there was to be no real lead up time, and all stock was allocated.

Basically Airfix produced the model with no real canvasing of their retail supply chain.

As a result of this, we had to disable our pre-orders so not to get into a situation where we were taking order we could not satisfy.

I am sure with a little more time we could have sold many of these models at a normal retail price, but were not given the chance in the first place. 

We honored our 6 pre-orders at £24.95, but many modelers and collectors will be forced to pay a lot more for the first issue, when basically it did not have to be this way.

In the end members of this forum will be the losers, and it is members of this forum that will have to pay the price asked for by retailers, who know this is selling at a price well over retail and that happened in less this 24 hours of release.

So if this is not a retail foul up I don't know what is.

If AIrfix canvased their retail supply chain and it was a cool reception, then I could understand them not producing this model in decent number, but the clue was the Revell Iron Maiden book of souls world tour model.

Proof will be in the pudding as they say, word on the streets is another Rock Model will be released, and I bet they will not make the same mistake.