Airfix Heinkel He111 H-6 Motörhead “Bomber” Special

Sebastien

On 04/09/2019 at 13:44, Sebastien said:

Fightersweep, I think the Screaming Blue Messiahs album had P-47Ns on its cover.

On 04/09/2019 at 14:14, fightersweep said:

In my defence M'Lud, it must have been 1986 when I bought Good and Gone, and it vanished somewhere around 1990, so I wasn't far off with the M model. Funny thing is, I can't even remember if I liked the record!

Indeed they are N models....

R-557387-1132316835.jpeg.jpg

see

https://www.discogs.com/The-Screaming-Blue-Messiahs-Good-And-Gone/release/557387

has youtube links for the audio

Crickey, not that this about this in a while...

A quick blast of Good and Gone reminds me it has a 'joke'  from Micheal Herr's Dispatches,  about Viet Cong humour, when they covered a field where a a successful ambush had taken place with sheets of paper showing a picture of a dead GI with written on the back "your X-ray's have just come back and we think we know what the problem is" 

A band I was in was one of the supports(there were 3 other bands) for the Screaming Blue Messiahs, when they played on Brighton Pier in Dec 87 IIRC,  and I asked the singer why he had P-47N's specifically on the cover,  he didn't know what they were, just liked the photo...

funnily enough when I did get to make a record (literally,  it was a DIY release)

.... I put a plane on the cover....

R-2897433-1454256911-3278.jpeg.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

funnily enough when I did get to make a record (literally,  it was a DIY release)

.... I put a plane on the cover....

R-2897433-1454256911-3278.jpeg.jpg

Thanks Troy! Really nice to have a bit of Britmodeller related background to the Good and Gone EP....although a bit disappointed that the photo of the P-47Ns (yes! I got it right eventually) was chosen just because it looked good. Still, it was a great cover and only the second time I ever bought a record just because I liked the cover design.

Now I'm shown a record with poor old "Wee Willie" on the cover. You do realise Troy, that I've just popped across to Discogs now (my other money drain aside from models) to pick up a copy. I have to hear it now. So what's the chances of getting it signed Guvnor'?

Fortunately for all music lovers , my only efforts ever made it to a homemade cassette recorded in the drummer's bedroom, but it did have the title "Pedal Bombers" and had suitably themed homemade artwork cobbled together with lots of Letraset. It got one review, from the long suffering neighbour of said drummer, in which our singer was commended for sounding like an ill-tempered Dalek that had failed it's MOT. Priceless!

Steve

19 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Oh yes! Thanks for the heads up. That's a must to go with the Heinkel (despite the scale of course!) Looks like another one we'll have to snap up quickly.

Steve

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

.although a bit disappointed that the photo of the P-47Ns (yes! I got it right eventually) was chosen just because it looked good. Still, it was a great cover and only the second time I ever bought a record just because I liked the cover design.

Thinking about this later, as it was a long time ago, I did remember wittering on to the singer about what they actually were, a specific Pacific variant,  as I thought it was interesting point....  though I doubt he did.  

I was going to write more...but it was really drifting off topic... so I'll PM you

On 9/4/2019 at 8:39 AM, fightersweep said:

And wasn't there a Mike Oldfield album with an Electra or something on the cover?

Yeh, Steve. That was the Five Miles Out album. Soft kind of genre for my Metal palate, but that tune was catchy.

"Don't take that dive again

You've got to push that band of rain

Five miles out, just hold your heading true

You've got to get your finest out

You're #1 anticipating you"

Cheers,

Unc2

Cheers Uncle! I thought I remembered seeing that Mike Oldfield album cover. 

Just thought of another. Hellbound by Tygers of Pan Tang had what I think was a Phantom FGR.2 on the cover.

Maybe Revell should re box their 1/720 Hindenberg kit with Led Zeppelin markings?

Steve

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Cheers Uncle! I thought I remembered seeing that Mike Oldfield album cover. 

Quite a nice album cover I once saw it enlarged and postered. Then I remember having also seen this:

spacer.png

Just brought some back memories. One incident in which my sheila accidentaly dropped my modified Italeri 1/48 Sled kit to the floor; the kit shattered beyond repair and I lost it. There's this demonic voice in the song which screams: "Caught in static 18! AUTOMATIC 18...!!" Thought that voice might as well have been mine that day. :lol:

Cheers,

Unc2

Just noticed in the new airfix magazine that the kit doesn't come with the extra gun turrets.

I wonder if there will be any after market produced, or we just scratch/adapt existing turrets from other kits.

7 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

It's back on Airfix website. Kit with Motorhead decals only. Available early next year

Allan

So a different version to the one I pre-ordered then? Must take a look.

Steve

So, if I'm reading the Airfix site correctly, the latest offering of this will come in a standard He111 H boxing.  Not the special Motörhead boxing.  That being the A07007A boxing and the latest being the A07007B boxing.

Have I got that correct?

I’m not in the market for one of these (must be one of the only ones out there!), however I’m quite chuffed that it’s been a huge success. Airfix must have reviewed their pre-order sales to suggest a second run is on the cards (well Decals only perhaps?). This hobby needs Airfix to be in business no matter what they produce. 

Cheers.. Dave (who’s now starting to think that maybe he should buy one.. good Lord!)

.... I’m also now wondering if maybe the decal sheet on its own would sell well, I’d be keen to butcher up an older kit, but perhaps not the new tool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madoc said:

So, if I'm reading the Airfix site correctly, the latest offering of this will come in a standard He111 H boxing.  Not the special Motörhead boxing.  That being the A07007A boxing and the latest being the A07007B boxing.

Have I got that correct?

I don’t think so chap the boxing is the same but the second edition only has the Motörhead decals not the original Lufty set as well ...I think! 

34 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Was it wrong of me on seeing the latest announcement from Airfix to have thought "They really don't understand their market do they?"

Something tells me you wouldn’t have been the only one! ‘Tis a crazy old market this Plastic modelling game! 

On 9/4/2019 at 12:39 PM, fightersweep said:

Now, are there any other model/band cross overs we can think of. I do remember having Good and Gone by the Screaming Blue Messiahs back in the 80s, which I bought purely because it had P-47Ms on the cover. And wasn't there a Mike Oldfield album with an Electra or something on the cover?

'Five Miles Out' I think.

PS: Uncle Uncool got there first!

Edited by JosephLalor

On 9/4/2019 at 12:39 PM, fightersweep said:

And wasn't there a Mike Oldfield album with an Electra or something on the cover?

Steve

Five Miles Out

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Miles_Out#/media/File%3AMike_oldfield_five_miles_out_album_cover.jpg

Trevor