Airfix Heinkel He111 H-6 Motörhead “Bomber” Special

Sebastien

Hi,

spacer.png

Motörhead, the iconic heavy-metal band’s striking album artwork for their 1979 ‘Bomber’ was carefully created by illustrator Adrian Chesterman. Lemmy, “Fast” Eddie Clark and Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor are shown inside the cockpit of a Heinkel in the Blitz. Lemmy, himself a collector of WWII memorabilia, insisted the plane be German.

Chesterman explains: “I suggested the Heinkel plane. They wanted this photo-realistic effect, so I designed the thing with the detached bomb coming towards you."

“I worked in airbrush in black and white, which I would then tint,” he adds. “That’s why my work always looked very doomy. To get the lighting right, I got a little Airfix kit of a Heinkel 111, made it up and sprayed it black.” He then photographed the model to get the reflections underneath. “When you work realistically, you’ve got to have a realistic reference.”

The album sleeve made such an impression the band insisted on a remarkable 40ft Heinkel replica to accompany them on stage for their now notorious ‘Bomber’ tour.

“It’s the most famous cover I’ve ever done,” Chesterman says.

The album was released on October 27th 1979, reaching number 12 on the UK charts.

To mark the 40th Anniversary, Airfix is pleased to offer a version of its latest Heinkel with the “Bomber” markings included, and with the special Anniversary box lid. 

Included are the three original markings for the A07007.

Numbers are limited.

Though I disagree with the "heavy metal" bit in the blurb (Motörhead played rock'n'roll), I'm quite happy with this release.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 10

Just seen this too, think I'll pre-order one, assuming its based on a currently released Airfix He-111, is it a good kit, as in a recently tooled Airfix kit? Airfix kits these days are a joy to build.

What a great idea though, nice one Airfix.

Now that is remakably "out of the box" thinking by Airfix. And being a bit partial to some Motorhead, I'm straight of to pre-order a couple of these. Nice one Airfix! 

Now, are there any other model/band cross overs we can think of. I do remember having Good and Gone by the Screaming Blue Messiahs back in the 80s, which I bought purely because it had P-47Ms on the cover. And wasn't there a Mike Oldfield album with an Electra or something on the cover?

Steve

32 minutes ago, One 48 said:

assuming its based on a currently released Airfix He-111, is it a good kit, as in a recently tooled Airfix kit?

It's an He111H-6, which is a version they've released from their 2015 mould - so that bodes well.

I remember seeing the 1979 Motorhead album cover, buying Airfix's then current He111H-20, painting it black - then not having a clue how to do the marking.

I'd overlooked the lower turret as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I remember seeing the 1979 Motorhead album cover, buying Airfix's then current He111H-20, painting it black - then not having a clue how to do the marking.

Well, now's your chance! 🙂

Just occured to me that a limited edition 7" single would have been a great addition inside the box too!

Steve

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Now, are there any other model/band cross overs we can think of.

How about a Blüe Öyster Cult Me 262, or a dual "Run Run Rudolph" kit with a "Sabre jet" for the Chuck Berry original and a "Phantom jet" for the Keith Richards cover ? 😀

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 3

I think it may be a case of Airfix seeing that the Iron Maiden Aircraft and trucks from Revell (and AC/DC!) and the specials from Roden (?) Elton John,Bee Gees and LED Zep airliners  did rather well and I can’t imagine that a Motörhead licence would cost much to obtain- very clever marketing and a good way of shifting existing product on a limited edition basis- well done Airfix for thinking out of the box.

Red Arrows Angel Interceptor and Spectrum TSR2 next then 🙂

TT

44 minutes ago, Hook said:

How about a "Run Run Rudolph" kit with a "Sabre jet" for the Chuck Berry original and a "Phantom jet" for the Keith Richards cover ? 😀

Cheers,

Andre

Hook, Hook...

We're talking Motörhead here...

So OK for a "Run Rudolph Run" with a Sabre Jet for the Chuck Berry Original, but at least a B-52 G for the Lemmy, Rev. Billy F. Gibbons and Dave Grohl cover.

Louder, dirtier, hairier and wartier.

😋

Fightersweep, I think the Screaming Blue Messiahs album had P-47Ns on its cover.

Cheers,

S.

Edited by Sebastien
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Johnny and the Hurricanes?

That got me thinking. They could also do a Johnny Red / Battle Comic tie in.

26 minutes ago, Sebastien said:

Fightersweep, I think the Screaming Blue Messiahs album had P-47Ns on its cover.

In my defence M'Lud, it must have been 1986 when I bought Good and Gone, and it vanished somewhere around 1990, so I wasn't far off with the M model. Funny thing is, I can't even remember if I liked the record!

Steve

6 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I think it may be a case of Airfix seeing that the Iron Maiden Aircraft and trucks from Revell (and AC/DC!) and the specials from Roden (?) Elton John,Bee Gees and LED Zep airliners  did rather well and I can’t imagine that a Motörhead licence would cost much to obtain- very clever marketing and a good way of shifting existing product on a limited edition basis- well done Airfix for thinking out of the box.

Red Arrows Angel Interceptor and Spectrum TSR2 next then 🙂

TT

If they release the Angel Interceptor as a new 1/72 as opposed to 1/100 scale of the original then, I'd be up for that!!😀.

As to the Heinkel, I'm no Motorhead fan but, this is one I must have! Pre ordered!😀

Allan

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Just saw the e-mail and tried to order. No luck. Looks like the kit has sold out already.

Drat.

Hannants are taking back orders if that helps.

Edit: Oh! And you get a 10% discount if you pre-order.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yeah just got this email this morning, really wish i had the money to pre-order. 

Dennis

I shouldn't have pre-ordered one as my monthly modelling budget has already gone (damn you cheap vintage kits on Facebook Marketplace!!). So I shall be smited by C in C House when she finds out. I did have naughty thoughts and nearly bought two as I want to keep one and build the other, but even I'm not that stupid! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Booty003 said:

As a massive Motorhead fan I simply need this in my life....!!

Airfix site is indeed showing as Out of Stock.... WTF...?

As per my above post, do what I did and pre-order it from Hannants and get 10% off too!

Steve

2 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

As per my above post, do what I did and pre-order it from Hannants and get 10% off too!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I couldn't find it at first but sorted now.  Cheers bud.

Phil

1 minute ago, Booty003 said:

Hi Steve,

I couldn't find it at first but sorted now.  Cheers bud.

Phil

Superb! Looks like we'll have ourselves a Britmodeller Kampfgeschwader of Lemmy Heinkels!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, oggy4u said:

I pre-ordered one  from Hannants . Thank you all for heads up . Is anyone planning to add a chin turret ?

Interesting! I have a spare mid upper turret from an Airfix Lancaster! Might fit the bill! I believe this issue is a means of using up existing stock of the Heinkel kit. However, as it will include the original decals as well, now might be a good time to stock up on Heinkels as I guess the kit is being withdrawn from the catalogue

Allan.